Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-08-2015, 02:44 PM   #1
c0matose

Default How to make combat more exciting?

Hey guys,

In pretty much all my gurps games up to now my friend (the one other person who plays GURPS that i know) has GMed for us, and has "pretended" not to know stuff for my benefit. I now feel like a bit of an ******* so ive offered to GM some nice long campaigns for him, mainly DF with some MH elements. My main question is how can i make combat quicker/more fun. DF says unless its a boss is has in effect 1 health and any hit will kill it, and minibosses have health but die at 0. Does anyone have any other methods for making it more exciting. Another question is how to i handle attack order? I remember when i played Warhammer FRP and you just went in initiative order, is it similar for GURPS with basic speed?

Thanks

(also share links to nice DF campaigns you have because I will either put no effort into it and it'll be boring or i'll put too much in and the heat death of the sun will occur before i finish)
c0matose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:00 PM   #2
martin_rook

Default Re: How to make combat more exciting?

What about GURPS combat do you feel isn't exciting? What areas are you looking for improvement in?

There are lots of optional rules that can make combat more or less lethal, more cinematic or more realistic, quicker or longer, simpler or more detailed.
martin_rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:02 PM   #3
Anthony

A lot of that depends on what you think makes combat exciting in the first place. For specific GURPS mechanics, I think the biggest thing that makes a fight drag out is situations with large numbers of marginally relevant attacks (e.g. low skill mooks).
Old 06-08-2015, 03:02 PM   #4
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Ways to speed up GURPS combat:
- Don't use a map, or if you do keep spaces confined to where it doesn't take more than a turn or two to get within striking range with a hand weapon. This penalizes all ranged weapons other than throwing weapons, but oh well.
- Don't use hit locations. Every blow is a torso blow until you feel comfortable looking up rules for specific locations or feel you have them memorized.
- As a follow-up, don't use piecemeal armor. Either use the armors from GURPS Lite, from 3rd edition, double the $ and weight of the Basic Set's torso armors, or triple the $ and base weight of Low Tech torso armors.
- Don't bother with any of the rules for reducing someone's effective Move, Dodge, or ST when low on HP/FP.
- Don't change encumbrance levels mid-combat.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:03 PM   #5
c0matose

I really mean more cinematic. Sometimes i feel like all i say is "ok roll to hit" "ok hes dead" "roll to hit the next guy" "hes also dead" until theyre all dead.
c0matose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:19 PM   #6
johndallman
Night Watchman

Sounds like changing the style of opponents might help. Rather than having lots of mooks, some mini-bosses and a boss - which is a trope, not a law of gaming - try having opponents who are comparable to the party, in numbers and individual capability, use tactics and fight to win. That should worry your players, if they're bored with mooks.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:49 PM   #7
A Ladder

Exciting combat is more about pacing than anything else. If you let people sit there and decide what they need to do with no restraint on time, it gets kinda boring. Keep it snappy! This also has the side benefit of keeping your energy level up.

In my Pacific Rim campaigns I always write a "twist" into the combat to make it slightly more interesting than "Hit the Kaiju with your fist" again and again.

some sample twists:
Glass Vase: there is an object (McGuffin, Highly Valuable in $$, etc.) that is extreme fragile. It also happens to be the target of the opposition. The players will be forced to change their tactics from "Hit the bad guy" to "stop the bad guys from getting/breaking the Glass Vase" as well as trying to hit them. This could also be "protect the President from the assassins" as well.

Hazardous Terrain: The playing map has stuff that can kill/main the PCs even without the help of the bad guys. One time I had my DF party have to fight a bunch of fire slorn during an errupting volcano. Each round they had to move further from the encroaching lava, and get out of poisonous fume gas clouds. All the while the slorn were trying to eat them.

High Priority: Have the Big Bad Evil Guys be in a spot that keeps them from harm from the PCs but also allow the BBEGs be able to harm the PCs in a meaningful way each round. This forces the players to take different tactics. Do they sit there taking out the lame baddies, or do they rush forward (exposing thier rear defenses) to take out the guy that can harm them? IE Swarm of Goblins is in front of the Fireball throwing Wizard who has shield ogres around them.

For turn order I just find out which player has the highest speed and go clockwise around the table till all the players have gone. But I'm lazy.
A Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:58 PM   #8
Not

It's exciting if you care about the outcome. Perhaps you're fighting the wrong things?
Old 06-08-2015, 06:15 PM   #9
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0matose View Post
Hey guys,

In pretty much all my gurps games up to now my friend (the one other person who plays GURPS that i know) has GMed for us, and has "pretended" not to know stuff for my benefit. I now feel like a bit of an ******* so ive offered to GM some nice long campaigns for him, mainly DF with some MH elements. My main question is how can i make combat quicker/more fun. DF says unless its a boss is has in effect 1 health and any hit will kill it, and minibosses have health but die at 0. Does anyone have any other methods for making it more exciting. Another question is how to i handle attack order? I remember when i played Warhammer FRP and you just went in initiative order, is it similar for GURPS with basic speed?

Thanks

(also share links to nice DF campaigns you have because I will either put no effort into it and it'll be boring or i'll put too much in and the heat death of the sun will occur before i finish)
Play with toy dinosaurs while everyone else is busy plundering a wrecked ship.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:31 PM   #10
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Sounds like changing the style of opponents might help. Rather than having lots of mooks, some mini-bosses and a boss - which is a trope, not a law of gaming - try having opponents who are comparable to the party, in numbers and individual capability, use tactics and fight to win. That should worry your players, if they're bored with mooks.
I have not found combat to be dull, but then, like John, I don't make much use of mooks. My usual assumption is that every fight is going to be a serious one for the heroes. That seems to raise the tension enough to keep them from getting bored.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combat, dungeon fantasy