Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 04-26-2012, 06:22 AM   #11
Clipper

Default Re: Discarding Cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
If you're going to quote me, then point out an issue with further, unquoted, information in the post quoted, how about providing a link so that I can go back and look at it and see where the disconnect is coming from and when the post was written. It's more than a little unfair to hold me to a FAQ entry that might not have even been written yet, and it's never a good idea to quote out of context. I've seen enough people do that here and take something so out of context in order to prove that night is day. In this case, it seems, without the question, the answer might not mean what you think it means.
Sorry mate, I certainly didn't mean to cause offence and I did think I had provided enough information to find the other post for reference. I thought the link that I did provide in the quote itself (the blue arrow) was enough to find the other one as it was only three posts later in the same thread, but here's that post too, including its link as well:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
Why? And why does this come as a surprise? "Permanently" means things like Poisoned, Cheat, or Blessed (wrt Items) or Dark or Master (wrt Races and Classes). If we're talking about Fu, and we're talking about all those Items that are multi-layer Armor, that's just being worn together, not a permanent attachment. I think the Knight Light, too, could be discarded separately.
You said then that the class and race enhancers are permanently attached and in the other post that permanently attached cards are always discarded with cards they are attached to.

And for completeness, the FAQ question is:
Quote:
Q. When can I play (or discard) Master, Dark, or High cards?
A. They can be played (or discarded) at at any time you would play (or discard) a Class or Race card.
Which heavily implies it's OK to discard an enhancer without discarding the card it is attached to.

And again, no offence meant and I don't blame you in any way for the discrepancy. I assume the FAQ was newer and hence overrides the older decision, but just wanted to point it out for an official clarification if anybody else followed my link in future and then also noticed that issue.

Last edited by Clipper; 04-26-2012 at 06:30 AM.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:30 AM   #12
MunchkinMan

There were no blue arrows to follow on my browser, but on a different computer, they're now here. Most odd. . .

2008 is a long time ago, and before discussions, changes, and other thoughts had come about. I'll need to look further into Item Enhancers, but I can see how Race/Class Enhancers are entirely different.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:40 AM   #13
Udeliens

I still dont get it... it seems to me that the answer is this:
- Race/Class Enhancers may be discarded for the purposes of an ability;
- Item/steed enhancers I should use common sense to what can be discarded;
- And cheat may never be discarded to power an ability...

Am I right?
Old 04-27-2012, 03:41 PM   #14
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udeliens View Post
I still dont get it... it seems to me that the answer is this:
- Race/Class Enhancers may be discarded for the purposes of an ability;
- Item/steed enhancers I should use common sense to what can be discarded;
- And cheat may never be discarded to power an ability...

Am I right?
No. Here's the current rulings as I understand them, but note this may change once MunchkinMan has finished looking into things:
  • Race/Class Enhancers may be discarded for the purposes of an ability. You do not have to discard the Race or Class they are attached to as well.
  • Item/Steed/Hireling/Ship/etc. Enhancers remain permanently attached and you cannot discard them separately from the card they are attached to, but can discard them at the same time.
  • Cheat! also remains permanently attached and you cannot discard it separately from the cheated Item, but can discard it at the same time.

And when you discard two items permanently attached to each other, it counts as two discards for cards that count the number of cards you are discarding. That is, if the ability says to discard one card then do something (e.g., Theft, Enthrall) then you don't do it twice, but if the card/ability says you can discard a given number of cards to power something (e.g., Turning, Berserking) then you count it as two cards.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:54 PM   #15
Udeliens

I get it know!
Now I just want to know if that's the official answer. ^^
Old 08-07-2019, 12:53 AM   #16
Ujeen

Sorry, but can you please tell the official rule on can a warrior discard a Cheat! (without discarding the item it is attached to) to get +1 in fight?
Ujeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:18 AM   #17
berger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ujeen View Post
Sorry, but can you please tell the official rule on can a warrior discard a Cheat! (without discarding the item it is attached to) to get +1 in fight?
For a Warrior if you are using an item with a Cheat card you cannot discard just the Cheat card. You need to discard the item and the Cheat card together to power your Berserk. It would count as 2 cards and you get +2 for the Berserk.

Something that has not been said is if you had a Cheat card in your hand and not yet in use, then I think you could discard just the Cheat card to power the ability.
berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 07:16 AM   #18
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by berger View Post
For a Warrior if you are using an item with a Cheat card you cannot discard just the Cheat card. You need to discard the item and the Cheat card together to power your Berserk. It would count as 2 cards and you get +2 for the Berserk.

Something that has not been said is if you had a Cheat card in your hand and not yet in use, then I think you could discard just the Cheat card to power the ability.
This is all correct. A Cheat! card in your hand hasn't been attached to anything or put into play, so the rules on the card aren't in effect.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 07:49 AM   #19
Ujeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by berger View Post
You need to discard the item and the Cheat card together to power your Berserk. It would count as 2 cards and you get +2 for the Berserk.
I am a bit confused by “+2 for the Berserk”. I expect to have +1 only.
If I discard a cheated item (to power an ability) Cheat! should be discarded automatically DUE TO the text on the Cheat! card. So how can I count a card that has been discarded by some other reason as a card discarded to power the berserk.

With the very same logic I could count a card discarded by a curse (done on me by an opponent) as +1 to my berserk. It is the same logic: I count a card that has been discarded by some other reason as a card discarded to power the berserk.
Ujeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 07:49 AM   #20
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

It's two cards. That you have to discard them together doesn't mean they don't count as two cards.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
discard