Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 03-04-2019, 12:49 PM   #21
GM Joe

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 2 and Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game Reprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
I did. I have young family members who might benefit from having such a thing.
Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
All the "0.5" are because several creatures have split monster classes (like "Demon/Undead").
Hmm! Mundane/Undead? Mundane/Demon? Mundane/Elemental? Either way, it's sure to be interesting. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
I can also say that of the 30, 8 are standbys from folklore, myth, and legend while 22 are original craziness invented by me. Obviously, there's nothing totally new under this particular sun, but I tried to be inventive. Even with the traditional creatures, actually.
Sounds great!
Old 03-04-2019, 12:54 PM   #22
Belisar

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 2 and Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game Reprint

Backed of course but on a digital level. A bit sad that there is no Europe friendly shipping because I have the worst experience with german customs. So far not a single RPG book ever arrived nor was I ever informed if the books were stuck in the customs until they vanished completely. :(
Hopefully the reprint of the box also encompasses shops and not only backers.
Belisar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 01:13 PM   #23
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belisar View Post
Hopefully the reprint of the box also encompasses shops and not only backers.
There is a retail level if you scroll all the way down.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 02:12 PM   #24
InexplicableVic

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
It’s reality. If there’s not enough demand to meet the goal on Kickstarter, then we definitely know the demand isn’t there to make these products worth taking to the manufacturing stage.

From a business standpoint, that certainly makes a lot of sense, and I'm sure that SJG knows its breakpoints based on prior Kickstarters. Let's hope we blow past that target! I introduced two new players to the game Saturday, at least one of whom might be in the market for a boxed set...
InexplicableVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 02:30 PM   #25
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
Joe gets it!
Does he get that by setting it that short he's competing directly with Nordlond: The Citadel at Nordvorn and thus a project many have already backed and thus locked money for? That both will now come due on the exact same paycheck, thus denying this Kickstarter project those funds?

If so, well played.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 02:42 PM   #26
adm

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Does he get that by setting it that short he's competing directly with Nordlond: The Citadel at Nordvorn and thus a project many have already backed and thus locked money for? That both will now come due on the exact same paycheck, thus denying this Kickstarter project those funds?

If so, well played.
It certainly will check how much people can afford.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:00 PM   #27
Dalin

Quote:

If so, well played.
I must admit that I've worried about this too. I rarely never pitch Kickstarters to my friends and colleagues, so I'm reluctant to pitch two projects in the same week. But, that's what I'm doing and I'm preparing to send an even wider barrage of emails to former gaming buddies and old friends who I barely ever correspond with. I'm only willing to be that guy because I think this project is incredibly good value and deserves a wide audience.

DFRPG is a fantastic game, and there's no better intro to GURPS.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 03:05 PM   #28
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:

If so, well played.
So, for what it's worth: I don't feel that the two campaigns compete, though of course the products are running at the same time. I do understand that the finishing dates are unfortunately close, but I would point out that my own campaign started on Feb 19 and ran for five weekends very deliberately to give either two or three biweekly paychecks between them.

For myself, I'm THRILLED that a new boxed set reprint is coming on board at the same time as my own product. The original KS had 1587 folks back it; any new people (or game stores!) that come in on this make the potential market bigger for both companies. If there's anything that Gaming Ballistic can do to support both the overall product line and DFM2 specifically, you can bet I'll do it, and fast.

Furthermore, let's face it: Gaming Ballistic is a small company with one guy and five (hopefully going on six, and by year's end that will be 18!) products; SJG is one of the old hands in the land when it comes to publishing roleplaying games. Excitement over the boxed set is going to, on balance, reach far more people than mine will (adventures don't do as well as core sets, and catalogs of monsters/tech fall in between) and hopefully I'll catch some of the spill-over.

As it stands, I need about 110 more people to come in at the current-average pledge level of $33 to fund. If 200 folks come in, we hit 112 pages.

There are 198 people following my campaign who have not yet pledged. If some of the 1,000 folks that didn't back Hall of Judgment, but see renewed excitement over the Dungeon Fantasy RPG product line come to me, and come to DFM2 as well, that's a great example of a rising tide.

I don't want to derail the thread, but I did want to say: I very much knew they'd overlap, and was very much excited about it.

Last edited by DouglasCole; 03-04-2019 at 03:21 PM.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 04:07 PM   #29
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan506 View Post
From a business standpoint, that certainly makes a lot of sense, and I'm sure that SJG knows its breakpoints based on prior Kickstarters. Let's hope we blow past that target! I introduced two new players to the game Saturday, at least one of whom might be in the market for a boxed set...
Note that the box set will only be reprinted if the campaign is successful. For everyone who keeps spending $90+ on the game (when it surfaces for sale), the Kickstarter campaign is a better deal and helps bring the game back into print.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 04:10 PM   #30
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
This assumes that _only_ those who already own the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game box set will be interested in the line. If this is true, then the game will definitely fade away.

The only way the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game grows is by attracting those who do not yet own the game. And to do that, they need access to the box set at a reasonable price (and not after-market prices).
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote