Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-30-2012, 07:37 PM   #21
aesir23

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy party compositions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
If you do that you should probably lower the value of the disadvantage.
I agree, but I'd be thrilled to see such an option!

You could also limit the advantages Berserk gives you to balance it out.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:34 AM   #22
Aneirin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Technical Grappling clarifies what techniques always get at least a roll due to ST being a proxy for mass, and spends a short time on various types of Contests, when they're used, and what they mean.

If only someone with Judo Throw would get the big darn Ogre out of the way . . . :-)
We need a petition to speed things up!
Aneirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:29 AM   #23
SCAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneirin View Post
Let us say, for example, Ogre by some miracle was released before Christmas time...would we then be waiting another few months for technical grappling, or would it be an 'unspecified amount of time'?
Technical Grappling is one of 9 items in 'Late Stage Production' (that we know of).
We can hope for a couple of those to be released before Christmas.
Last Year (2011), SJG managed somewhere close to 2 new 4e items per month, so we might optimistically hope to get 2 items a month once the Ogre is moved out of the way.
Which gives us an (unofficial) estimate of 3 to 6 months from now, depending upon where it is in the queue, how quickly Ogre is rolled out of the way, and how long it takes the GURPS release machine to get up to speed.
Then again, if it's ready to go, we might see it in the next couple of weeks.
SCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:12 AM   #24
Flyndaran
Untagged

As much as I'm looking forward to it, I cannot believe it will get released this year. There's only 8 weeks or so left.
The smaller the company, the more effect completely random stuff has.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:17 AM   #25
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneirin View Post

Let us say, for example, Ogre by some miracle was released before Christmas time...would we then be waiting another few months for technical grappling, or would it be an 'unspecified amount of time'?
At this stage, it would most likely be "an unspecified amount of time." The GURPS schedule is not paused, leopard-like, ready to unleash new release after new release with hair-trigger explosiveness. It has been demobilized so that we can mobilize Ogres. Once the Ogres roll out, it will have to be remobilized, and just that warmup time will take "another few months." If we were a factory rather than a publisher, you could think of it in terms of retooling.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:24 AM   #26
chandley

Arm lock to takedown: Assuming your larger foe stays within or attacked from within 1 yard range (most wont, as SM+1 gives that crucial +1 yard of reach, and larger weapons might as well), you step in CC and automatically hit (because of the Beserkers AoA). You now have his Arm locked. However, you cant Rapid Strike into a throw, the Throw from Lock explicitly says "the turn AFTER the one during which you applied the lock". So, there is a one second delay in which our Berserker acts, and you have used your step to get into CC, not to get into a rear hex. The natural response might be to try and break free (ST vs your Skill +4) and if they are strong enough, that might be a good option. Another option is for the Beserker to check if his ST is more than twice yours... and if so, simply do an AoA Slam (into another opponent, the wall, or the ground) with you in the lead, as you cant stop him from moving (you can release the lock if you dont want to be carried along though). Or gore you with horns, attack with the other arm or a kick, head butt, even a 1handed grapple of his own.. Lets say that all fails anyway. Now you try your throw from a lock on your turn. This is Skill vs ST (+Skill if he has power grappling). You need a lot very expensive DX+Skill to overcome that kind of ST... Im not seeing this as a go to move for small marginally trained monsters.

The sweep to grapple to pin: Sweep already discussed (there is a resistance roll based on ST). The pin is vs ST +3 (SM +1) or more (if you are SM -1). Even for a moderately trained human, this seems like a bad idea vs just using that same 2-hander to poke him again.

Really, I cant see going for a Pin to be a good idea unless you are very skilled indeed. ST 20+ and a SM bonus is nothing to play around with, and there are far better ways to go about all this.

Or was this all settled by "Telegraphic Attack doesnt help QCs" and Im just jumping in late here?
Old 10-31-2012, 02:02 PM   #27
Fwibos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
How do you avoid Telegraphic Eye Poke syndrome and such when berserk?
The only time I made a Berserker, it was in a 150/-75 point game. Multimillionaire 2, Gigantism, ST 18,Very Fine Double Plate and Helmet, VF Horsecutter, A SM+1 horsecutter, and a Targeted Attack (Horsecutter Swing/Neck).

Trademark move was an AoA(Long) to lop off heads at 5 yards. And his DR was somewhere around 11 ish.

Sooooo broken...

He died in a ambush. Didn't have his armor, and a trio of scrubs knifed him on the commission of another lord. I actually am really proud they worked together, rather than engage in Melee Ettiquette.
Word of God and Word of Kromm are pretty much the same thing in my book
Fwibos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:51 PM   #28
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandley View Post
The pin is vs ST +3 (SM +1) or more (if you are SM -1). Even for a moderately trained human, this seems like a bad idea vs just using that same 2-hander to poke him again.

Really, I cant see going for a Pin to be a good idea unless you are very skilled indeed. ST 20+ and a SM bonus is nothing to play around with, and there are far better ways to go about all this.
There's no resistance roll to Pins. It's explictly noted, more than once, in fact, on MA p. 114 that pins in specific allow no roll to oppose after an All-Out Attack.

SM -2 or SM +5, it's all irrelevant. Just succeed at an unmodified grappling skill roll and you've pinned him.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:02 PM   #29
coyote6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
There's no resistance roll to Pins. It's explictly noted, more than once, in fact, on MA p. 114 that pins in specific allow no roll to oppose after an All-Out Attack.

SM -2 or SM +5, it's all irrelevant. Just succeed at an unmodified grappling skill roll and you've pinned him.
That seems like a dumb rule. It's easy to pin someone who's berserk? I think that reality check fails so much, it bounces.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:08 PM   #30
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
More reasons not to use MA.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
errata