Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-19-2018, 05:04 PM   #11
afnord

Default Re: [DF] Integrating bits of G4e into the DFRPG

First using rapid strike or flurry of blows with dual wielding is a mute point because DWA is rapid strike to start with.

In my games Heroic Charge and move and attack counts as commited so no parry with the weapon used, no retreating and -2 on all defenses. If he's charging ahead then just gank him. I had a swordmaster in my game who was his own worst enemy because he always charged ahead.

Parry Missile Weapons is it's own skill independent of rapier. You calculate your parry from that skill not your weapon skill.

TA is always like that. Players will use it to target vitals, neck, brains and eyes. Now you just do the same. The -4 to -5 penalty he's receiving could be used to blow through his enemies defenses. If he does that often in the same fight give his opponents bonus to defenses to force him to change tactics.
afnord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:54 PM   #12
Beriogelir

Quote:
Originally Posted by afnord View Post
First using rapid strike or flurry of blows with dual wielding is a mute point because DWA is rapid strike to start with.
No, Dual-Weapon Attack is definitely not a Rapid Strike to start with. See pp. B370, B417 (or Exploits, pp. 36, 38, if you want the DFRPG rules). They have different penalties (-4/-8 vs. -6), receive bonuses from different advantages (e.g., Ambidexterity vs. Weapon Master), and have different effects on your target or targets (Dual-Weapon Attack gives a target -1 to defend if you use both attacks on the same target). Moreover, you cannot use them in conjunction - it's one or the other.

Flurry of Blows applies specifically to Rapid Strike, not to Dual-Weapon Attack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afnord View Post
In my games Heroic Charge and move and attack counts as commited so no parry with the weapon used, no retreating and -2 on all defenses. If he's charging ahead then just gank him. I had a swordmaster in my game who was his own worst enemy because he always charged ahead.
I generally try to avoid house rules unless reached by consensus in my group. This is also a pretty brutal approach - if you want to Move and Attack, you are either limited to a skill cap of 9 or you have to spend FP, and you can't parry, you can't retreat, and you are at -2 to your remaining defenses. I don't want to make it so that the cost to use a maneuver is so high that my players never use it.

All of that is a moot point, anyway, because right now I don't allow any of it, and if I go with Kromm's suggestions - which I likely will - then the Dual-Weapon Attack technique won't exist and neither will Committed Attack.
Beriogelir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:18 PM   #13
Bruno

I'm happier allowing "techniques" in from Martial Arts, without actually allowing people to buy them as techniques. They're just combat options at that point, and it makes it harder for someone to hyperspecialize themselves into a corner (or overtune themselves to the point of making the GM clutch their head in despair).

But it's definitely a "folks gotta know the rule before they use the rule", although I do encourage players to crowdsource the knowledge from other players. Our group has a high percentage of GMs and rules wonks, so if a less-rules-experienced player wants to make a cool flying tackle and two other players immediately have the rules ready and help the guy figure out his numbers quickly, it enables people who haven't memorized all those options to gain benefit from them.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:59 PM   #14
OldSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Ladder View Post
Heroic Charge + Flurry of blows for two to three enemies? Did you let him do more than 2 attacks with Rapid Strike? If so, did you make him pay the FP for that? Heroic Charge (1 FP) + Flurry of Blows (1 FP per attack, p. B357) for two attacks costs 3 FP...
To add on that, I would consider using long term fatigue rules, making things a little harder in general... ;)

I like these rules as they add a bit more realism, e.g. regarding the decision if your character really can afford to go into another combat, so it builds tension between the scenes, especially good for survival type of games.

http://www.ravensnpennies.com/gurps1...fatigue-rules/
http://www.ravensnpennies.com/gursp1...-extra-effort/
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:40 AM   #15
Beriogelir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
I think just about everything in GURPS Martial Arts gets iffy when you mix its flavor of cinematic with the Dungeon Fantasy RPG's flavor of fantastic. Not at the "broken" level, but certainly at the "a lot of GM judgment and page-flipping is required" level. If I were you, I'd pick one simple thing to allow and omit all the rest. Personally, I'd probably pick extra effort in combat, because it implicates only one trait, one that everybody has: FP.

I'm not saying that techniques are bad, but they are fussy and each one is a new thing to buy, even if it's hidden in a pseudo-advantage. Plus they privilege those who have them, whereas spending FP for better combat results is an option for all. It's also relatively self-limiting in big fights.
Do I bring in All-Out Attack (Long) (MA, pp. 97-98) in order to facilitate Great Lunge (MA, p. 131), or leave that Extra Effort in Combat option out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSam View Post
To add on that, I would consider using long term fatigue rules, making things a little harder in general... ;)

I like these rules as they add a bit more realism, e.g. regarding the decision if your character really can afford to go into another combat, so it builds tension between the scenes, especially good for survival type of games.
I don't have AtE yet, so I don't have those rules. :(

If they are what I think they are, they sound good for a post-apocalyptic game, or a game with an emphasis on survival. I don't know that they are compatible with the Dungeon Fantasy feel, though.
Beriogelir is offline   Reply With Quote