Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-16-2018, 11:27 AM   #1
Crystalline_Entity

Default [Powers] Ability to change own weight (mass)

How exactly do you build a power which allows you to change your weight (actually mass - Control Gravity doesn't count ;) ). Until you get to weights which qualify for the build-related disadvantages on B18, your weight is a zero-point feature, but I'm not sure how to build an ability that lets you modify it.

Alternate Form isn't quite what I'm looking for, as it doesn't give you a permanent change, I'm more thinking of being able to tell your body to burn or build up fat/muscle. To me that sounds like Metabolism Control, but it's not specifically mentioned in the description. I'm not sure how much a limitation which just enabled you to control your weight would really be worth, or how quickly you'd be able to change it (probably some fraction of the metabolism control level).

How would you build this?

Thanks!
Crystalline_Entity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 11:52 AM   #2
Icelander

Default Re: [Powers] Ability to change own weight (mass)

Are you using Technical Grappling?

Without it, weight has very limited game effects and I'd probably just use Controllable Disadvantage Perks for Skinny, Overweight, Fat and Weight Fat, for a total of 4 points.

With it, it's more of a question and might need some consideration by Doug Cole.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:35 PM   #3
evileeyore
Banned

What effects are you for? it's always best in GURPS to figure out what effects you're after and build for that.

If it's literally just weight control (not decreased fall damage, or increased slam damage, or extra DR or Temperature Tolerance due to higher fat padding, etc) then just go with Icelander's 4 point Controlled Disads.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 01:40 PM   #4
Crystalline_Entity

Those are good points, essentially I was just thinking of a mostly cosmetic change, maybe enough to occasionally be able to claim mistaken identity ("didn't you say the intruder was fat? This guy is rather slim!") but not enough to give increased slam damage or extra DR etc. Maybe controllable disadvantages are the way to go. (We're not currently using Technical Grappling).

Thanks!
Crystalline_Entity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 01:48 PM   #5
Flyndaran
Untagged

I think it's kind of important if literally no one in the party could carry an injured you out, or just pull you out of a pit or over an obstacle.

"Poor Big Pete will be missed." - Little Pete
Old 03-16-2018, 04:04 PM   #6
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I think it's kind of important if literally no one in the party could carry an injured you out, or just pull you out of a pit or over an obstacle.

"Poor Big Pete will be missed." - Little Pete
Only if the GM imposes some effects from higher weight or requires higher weight for a given ST level. Otherwise, the character is not getting much of a benefit, if the player could have chosen the minimum weight from the start.

Essentially, if the only effect of mass is how much Encumbrance you are for others, I think it's about Perk worthy to be able to adjust that within whatever bounds the GM and players are comfortable with.

I personally impose an Unusual Background for being much stronger than you look, at least in vaguely realistic games, so for being able to vary your shape so that you sometimes look weaker than you are, I'd charge about a Perk for a small difference, up to about 5 points for a major surprise compared to the build.

Basically, if being able to vary between 110-330 lbs. has no game effects at all beyond applying to the Encumbrance of whoever carries you (and you could have chosen 110 lbs. freely at character creation without affecting stats or requiring Unusual Background), I'd call it a Perk and allow it in any game where PCs can have extraordinary abilities of whatever is being used. If it also has some useful in-game bonuses, for surprise value when the waif turns out to have ST 15, being able to select which build-related Disadvantage applies, to make Shadowing or Disguise easier, etc., I'd charge for those effects as well.

Last edited by Icelander; 03-16-2018 at 04:09 PM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 04:13 PM   #7
Anthony

There's an argument requiring low/no signature for anything that seems like it should be obvious but isn't for a particular character.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:21 PM   #8
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalline_Entity View Post
a mostly cosmetic change, maybe enough to occasionally be able to claim mistaken identity
Cosmetic shapeshifting suggests Elastic Skin. If we assume "Weight Only" rates a -80% Limitation (and "weight only" is a small subset of the utility of Elastic Skin), then you're still at 4 points. But you might like that build better, for feel, or setting justification, or perhaps a growth path as you buy off the Limitation, depending on the character concept.

("Gravity Control Guy" probably doesn't have a lot of reason to turn into other people. But you might make an argument for a few other twists, like cosmetic age adjustment via droopy skin to look older, or lower or higher gravity to change the character's gait or impression of agility.)
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 06:44 PM   #9
Phantasm

Seems like the biggest benefits to a higher mass/weight/density are increased HP and a higher resistance to knockback when slammed, and IIRC the latter is considered a benefit of the former. A lighter density could be justification for Catfall and/or Super Jump.

The above presupposes that you're shunting or pulling in mass from "somewhere else"; changing density w/out changing mass could be justification for Alternate Form (Body of Air) and Shrinking w/ Retains HP and Retains Damage.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:33 PM   #10
RyanW

Anyone else's first thought about this not have anything to do with combat?

Build a wheel with a swing seat and a counterweight on opposite edges, such that the super's natural weight is slightly less than the counterweight. Turn on power, go down, turn off power, go up. Connect wheel to generator.

Superheroics generally don't survive long after contact with real world economics.