Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Warehouse 23 Digital

Old 03-13-2017, 06:09 PM   #121
Žorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Default Re: The 2017 W23 Digital Release, GURPS stuff and Speculation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
I am sure you can appreciate the situation we are dealing with.
Why can't you do both? As far as I can tell until Discworld and Mars Attacks the PDFs and physical books where published fairly close to each other, but now the line is that there are no plans at present to publish the above titles in PDF and I think some people are puzzled by that.

For what it is worth, I don't mind. I already have the bought what I want from of the recently released titles. Just thought someone should ask this question.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Žorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:17 PM   #122
wabishtar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Žorkell View Post
Why can't you do both? As far as I can tell until Discworld and Mars Attacks the PDFs and physical books where published fairly close to each other, but now the line is that there are no plans at present to publish the above titles in PDF and I think some people are puzzled by that.

For what it is worth, I don't mind. I already have the bought what I want from of the recently released titles. Just thought someone should ask this question.
I don't know for sure that this is accurate, but it's been said to me that Steve Jackson Games essentially had no choice in that matter because the companies or individuals who hold those original copyrights insisted on a paper only release.
wabishtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 12:03 AM   #123
Paulon

While nothing's been said one way or the other about Mars Attacks, which actually implies that it's not forbidden or at worst uncertain, I think there was at one point a podcast linked from the first page of this thread confirming that there is permission for a digital Discworld release. It's still there in last year's thread.

Last edited by Paulon; 03-14-2017 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Clarification
Paulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 01:25 AM   #124
Phil Masters

If paper is necessary for visibility, maybe it's time to work on getting GURPS stuff into mainstream bookstores? After all, the latest books have these known-name licenses...
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 02:38 AM   #125
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
If paper is necessary for visibility, maybe it's time to work on getting GURPS stuff into mainstream bookstores? After all, the latest books have these known-name licenses...
It may well seem that simple. It isn't. Not saying it's impossible, just that we'd basically be starting from zero trying to get GURPS books into a new distribution system where we lack contacts or experience. It would be an extraordinarily expensive gamble for, very likely, a minimal return if we were to succeed.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 04:25 AM   #126
Phil Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
It may well seem that simple. It isn't. Not saying it's impossible, just that we'd basically be starting from zero trying to get GURPS books into a new distribution system where we lack contacts or experience. It would be an extraordinarily expensive gamble for, very likely, a minimal return if we were to succeed.
Well, GURPS books have got there in the past (in the UK, anyway). Of course, that may have been in the days of a clued-in and enterprising games distribution system, and not have required any special action from SJGames.

Still, it's not that long since I saw GURPS material in branches of Forbidden Planet (though they may well work with games distributors, given that they carry a fair range of games stuff these days), and Waterstones certainly carry board games (including Discworld board games, I notice) - so I can't help thinking that all the links may be present in the chain, if someone just knew who to nudge.

(Again, this relates to the UK. Elsewhere may be different. However, potential UK sales for Discworld at least are not necessarily to be sniffed at.)
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.

Last edited by Phil Masters; 03-14-2017 at 04:40 AM.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 05:41 AM   #127
wabishtar

Quote:
For the record, I'm fairly certain these books ARE at my local Barnes & Noble currently, just in the gaming section in the back near the comic books.
wabishtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 06:37 AM   #128
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Žorkell View Post
Why can't you do both?
We have no plans to release those in PDF at this moment. We are keeping a close eye on GURPS sales across all channels and collecting information.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 06:43 AM   #129
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
As someone who works daily on sales to a wider audience, I can report that the easiest part is getting onto the shelf. Staying there, year after year is the challenge.

And you _must_ be certain of sell-through at mass specialty, book, and big box stores. Returns and markdowns are brutal and putting the wrong product in can lead to disastrous results in the future.

Outside of the US, our distributors handle sales to those wider channels. In the US, we're personally involved in each phase, and I can guarantee that if we had the GURPS product to fit those stores and thrive, then we would take steps to run tests.

Dungeon Fantasy may be the right product. We'll know more once the game ships to hobby distribution, and we get some info on how the small market is reacting.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:14 AM   #130
Ronnke

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
Dungeon Fantasy may be the right product. We'll know more once the game ships to hobby distribution, and we get some info on how the small market is reacting.
Will we see a push from SJG to market DFRPG through the convention circuit and other active channels, or will it be released into the wild to fend for itself? I'd love to see more large-er scale stuff for the line in 2017, so I really hope these new endeavours do well.

I've been a fanboy since the 80's and I have noticed something in the past 5 or so years...No one has heard of GURPS. The silver linging is these new players don't have preconcieved misconceptions of the system. When I run them through a game or two and they're completely hooked. I currently have two online and two face-to-face games a week, just to try appease the people wanting to play. When/if Discworld finally arrives in AU, my son also has a bunch of school mates wanting to play. Not sure where I'm going with this, I just hope 2017 is a big year for the line and every opportunity is exploited.

Tags
speculation