Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:46 AM   #131
HeatDeath

Default Re: Soft announcement: new Ogre set!

I spy, with my little eye, something that begins with "O"...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CpA3qYKXEAAc0ZQ.jpg
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 01:53 PM   #132
Norsehound

Ogre 6th edition
[Something] [##] - January 2017?
Norsehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 01:32 PM   #133
HeatDeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatDeath View Post
EDIT: For the counter mix, I think I make 4 howitzers, 8 missile tanks, 10 GEVs, and 8 Heavy Tanks. Plus the obvious assortment of infantry.

By way of historical comparison, the Ogre Deluxe miniatures box set from 2000ish was 1 howitzer, 4 missile tanks, 6 GEVs, and 4 heavy tanks, but that was only for a MkIII defense - no MkV was included in that box. So the ratios are pretty similar. http://www.sjgames.com/miniatures/ogre/deluxeogre/
The 1987 Ogre box with cardboard standees was 5 howitzers and 12 each of missile tanks, heavy tanks, and GEVs. Interestingly though, it only came with 36 stands, so you couldn't use all of those pieces at once. https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1557715/counter-list

So, no monoculture defenses [not that we've been able to do those in an Ogre-only box set since 1987], but overall a good mix. I'll probably pick up a second countersheet set if they're made available.

There's a good chance that's the counter mix for the miniatures sprue as well. I'll almost certainly pick up a second sprue.
Per the unboxing video, my counts for the armor units mix are confirmed: 4 howitzers, 8 missile tanks, 10 GEVs, and 8 Heavy Tanks.

For the infantry mix, now that the unboxing video lets us see a lot better, there are 12 three-squad counters with 2-squads on the back, and 12 one-squad counters with 2-squads on the back. Which lets you field 24 distinct groups of infantry, and a total maximum of 60 squads on the board at once.

This counter mix compares interestingly with the initial Miniatures Set 1 mix, which is 2 howitzers, 4 missile tanks, 6 GEVs, and 6 Heavy Tanks,

and to the eventual Miniatures Set 1 mix, which is 4 howitzers, 6 missile tanks, 8 GEVs, and 8 Heavy Tanks.

Last edited by HeatDeath; 11-11-2016 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-11-2016, 05:49 PM   #134
Dave Crowell

It looks like 2 Combine MK IIIs, 1 Combine MK V, 4 Combine GEVs.
1 Paneuropean Command Post and 1 Paneuropean Mobile Command Post.
Dave Crowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 06:01 PM   #135
Dave Crowell

Light Tank, Light GEV, GEV-PC, Super Heavy Tank, and Mobile Howitzer, along with Combine infantry and armor units and Paneuropean Ogres coming in Reinforcements.

No insider knowledge, just looking closely at the images SJG have posted.

56 armor and infantry counters in Reinforcements compared to 58 in Ogre 6e, with a number of the reinforcement counters being the 5 "new" units. So expect Combine forces to be smaller.

Last edited by Dave Crowell; 11-11-2016 at 06:05 PM.
Dave Crowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 10:27 AM   #136
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Crowell View Post
56 armor and infantry counters in Reinforcements compared to 58 in Ogre 6e, with a number of the reinforcement counters being the 5 "new" units. So expect Combine forces to be smaller.
Which makes sense. Ogre is predominately a "NAC crushing PE installations with Ogres" game by design; it's _supposed to be "unbalanced". NAC forces would be intended to be a supplemental force to Ogres, not a full on AU vs AU fight. If that's what you want, then you will have to wait for G.E.V. 6e to come out :-)
G.E.V. is where things were more balanced because it was designed as a standalone conventional vs conventional game, that you could add Ogres to if you wanted.

Ogre Reinforcements basically turns Ogre 6e into "G.E.V. lite" minus the G.E.V. maps. Now that I say it out loud, it's more obvious that a G.E.V. 6e will likely never happen; there's no reason for it. Especially with the way ODE was created by combining the rules from all the existing material, and Ogre Reinforcements adding some of the G.E.V. rules and units to Ogre 6e already, it would make a lot more sense for another expansion to Ogre 6e that gives you more of what was in G.E.V. rather than a full standalone box. While that idea makes me a little sad, it's a more logical progression and avoids all sorts of problems re-separating the rules and having another 30 years of Ogre/G.E.V. sets.

The one suggestion I would make for that, however, is make it another box with more storage so you have something to hold the "new" Green Maps + minis. Ultimately, the hope is to have all the contents of ODE in smaller chunks that let you make multiple trips that don't require a forklift driver license.
Old 11-12-2016, 02:59 PM   #137
jfleisher

But I like using my forklift drivers license...

My Ogre Miniatures Blog: http://ogreminiatures.blogspot.com
jfleisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 07:02 PM   #138
HeatDeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
Ogre Reinforcements basically turns Ogre 6e into "G.E.V. lite" minus the G.E.V. maps. Now that I say it out loud, it's more obvious that a G.E.V. 6e will likely never happen; there's no reason for it. Especially with the way ODE was created by combining the rules from all the existing material, and Ogre Reinforcements adding some of the G.E.V. rules and units to Ogre 6e already, it would make a lot more sense for another expansion to Ogre 6e that gives you more of what was in G.E.V. rather than a full standalone box. While that idea makes me a little sad, it's a more logical progression and avoids all sorts of problems re-separating the rules and having another 30 years of Ogre/G.E.V. sets.

The one suggestion I would make for that, however, is make it another box with more storage so you have something to hold the "new" Green Maps + minis. Ultimately, the hope is to have all the contents of ODE in smaller chunks that let you make multiple trips that don't require a forklift driver license.
The clever bit is, by setting it up this way, and simply reprinting the terrain rules, the upcoming Battlefields expansion is now an expansion for both ODE and 6e.
Old 11-14-2016, 10:49 AM   #139
brionl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfleisher View Post
But I like using my forklift drivers license...
When I was in the Army, I had a driver's license for M48/M60 tanks. But not a forklift license.
brionl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:20 AM   #140
Mack_JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by brionl View Post
When I was in the Army, I had a driver's license for M48/M60 tanks. But not a forklift license.
I drove an M-60 at Fort Knox before I even had a driver's license. There was an IPMS sponsored tour that was arranged from St. Louis for the week.
Mack_JB is online now   Reply With Quote