Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 08-08-2018, 12:14 PM   #41
Refplace

Default Re: DFRPG momentarily on Board Game Breakfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post

Then I hope you find the additional details I just shared informative!
I expected most of that but still appreciated the inside look and detail.
And always appreciate the work everyone at SJG does.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 01:46 PM   #42
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Thank you! I've made a point of being accessible and – within the bounds of decency and respecting others' privacy – truthful.
That part there, more so than any other, is something I appreciate* in you. Enough so that I always recommend people to the forums when I find out they are GURPS fans (whether they need rules advice or not).

* Despite my sounding like an ******* when I disagree with your rulings and interpretations.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:41 PM   #43
lachimba

PK though I see on almost every Kickstarter that I back.

I assume other GURPS authors sit somewhere between those two extremes.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:53 PM   #44
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
PK though I see on almost every Kickstarter that I back.

I see Phil Reed on a lot too, but money is tight for a lot of people.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:18 PM   #45
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I see Phil Reed on a lot too, but money is tight for a lot of people.
My comment is not in regards to money, obviously that IS a limit on Kickstarter.

Rather its in regards to playing other games.

Boardgames are actually very cheap to get into, so long as you dont buy them!
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:13 AM   #46
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:

To be fair, I'm not an extreme. There are GURPS authors – who can choose to identify themselves if they wish, because it isn't my place to do so – for whom games writing is at best a tertiary concern, and whose life and day job don't go anywhere near gaming. They write GURPS books on topics they find interesting because of their love for the subject matter and the intellectual exercise of breaking that down for a fascinating pursuit (gaming). By comparison to them, I'm better than halfway down the road to being a cloistered writer who lives and breathes games!

Quote:
money is tight for a lot of people.
Especially for people in my line of work. Perception is "We, the gamers, pay you well for this!" Reality is that the average gamer who can afford to pay for games is probably better off than most of those who create games. In particular, those of us who create content "on the clock" see no royalties or other benefits proportional to sales. You can buy one copy of my book or a million, but that doesn't change my take-home pay; for that, you'd have to send me a private donation. (For any tax collectors reading: That's a joke!)

Quote:

Rather its in regards to playing other games.

Boardgames are actually very cheap to get into, so long as you dont buy them!
What determines "plays other games" vs. "doesn't play other games" is the same for designers as it is for everybody else: Do I have a social group that plays those games? My social circles include middle-aged people who spend all their time with their families, tango dancers who use their nights for dancing, people who know me mainly from having a drink, and of course my girlfriend's family and friends, who are interested in me for my interest in her. The overlap with "gamers" is tiny. My colleagues in Austin see a whole office full of people in the games business every day, so they're more immersed; as a telecommuter, my contact with that industry ends when I turn off my computer for the evening.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:57 AM   #47
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Especially for people in my line of work. Perception is "We, the gamers, pay you well for this!"
Just to pile on a bit, a recent comment on reddit about Hall of Judgment, and my reply, may be worth considering:

the comment was (paraphrased): "There's no reason why Cole wouldn't put HoJ on POD!" (specifically at DriveThruRPG)

Quote:
"DriveThruRPG is an interesting beast. On the one hand, super convenient. On the other, super expensive. A premium color (70# paper) 8x10" book at 128 pages . . .which is to say, Hall of Judgment costs $16 to print. Subtract that from the $25 retail price of the book and you get $9, of which DTRPG keeps $3. I also have to pay a licensing fee, which is between me and SJG. In the end, there's not much left for me.

I will certainly put PDFs up on DriveThru. Print books I will likely need to find another way once I run out of stock. The stock I'm getting is 93# silk matte-coated paper, which is very nice to handle.

We'll see, but the DriveThru POD costs and the 35% cut they take make print via that platform very challenging for thicker books.

(For reference: check out PrintNinja, which is an offset print company with not the best prices but an excellent online quote generator. If I order 1,000 books, the price per book is less than $7.50; if I order 2,000 it drops to less than $4.65. Obviously I'd need to have enough hope of selling them, but having the cost of the book be less than 1/5 the retail price means I could go into distribution, which typically pays 40-45% of cover price, and make enough so that sales both pay for a future print run to keep it evergreen AND make me a bit of money so that I can afford to make the NEXT title. In fact, PrintNinja isn't that good for pricing, either, so the quantities needed aren't quite that high, but they're not too far off this either. In short, while POD is great to put it out there and let it kinda hang out, it's fairly awful if you want those sales to generate not profits, but *future books*)"
What I would love to see - but don't expect to see - as a publisher of material who wants to see his hobby business succeed, is enough sales velocity and orders so that I can continually get offset print runs of new titles.

That means one or two runs of 1,000 to 1,500 books, so that the sell-through of one print run pays for the next AND generates sufficient income to pay for the next book or so after that.

And in order to get games back on shelves rather than just available on my website or Amazon (100% and 70% royalties, respectively; W23 is in the list of favored sales channels as well for PDF, need to ask about physical product), that means the cost of production needs to be *less than* 1/5 retail price of the book.

Truly, at the end of the day there's not much left in the bucket.
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 12:29 PM   #48
Tom H.

Quote:
My colleagues in Austin see a whole office full of people in the games business every day, so they're more immersed; as a telecommuter, my contact with that industry ends when I turn off my computer for the evening.
You'll just have to stop by Wonko's* to catch up more often. ;-)
* Game store in Austin run by a SJ Game employee (if I'm still correct.)

Actually, I had gathered that you ran GURPS campaigns. Is that ongoing? Do you have live gamers in your area, or do you just host sessions via the internet?

Quote:
. . . but money is tight for a lot of people.
Yep, my intuition is that there are negative global memes that are more obsessed with raiding the pie than growing it.

People will be affected, albeit in a variety of ways.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 12:59 PM   #49
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
If he was in Austin, he'd be able to stop by SJGames. He's in Canada :)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 02:34 PM   #50
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:

See this map for why that could be tough.

Quote:

Actually, I had gathered that you ran GURPS campaigns. Is that ongoing?
No longer . . . two players moved, one died, and one is soon to be divorced from me. I'm pretty much restarting my life from very little at the moment, and I don't see getting back to gaming happening in the near future.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
board game breakfast, dfrpg, gurps