Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 11-21-2023, 10:14 AM   #741
TGLS

Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Seven reports none of the squads he's seen have a civilian with a creature with them.
Well, maybe you haven't sen all the squads? I leave that unsaid... Surely he's good at his job.
Quote:
Royal: "It seems we have time. But they have tools we weren't aware of. I'll have to hurry up my deliberations for a client. Well done, Rook."
"Thank you."

Maybe a more direct approach works better sometimes? Maybe I could have avoided a lot of unpleasantness if I just told Rail's step-father I dreamed it... Then again Royal's been a lot more believing.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 02:21 PM   #742
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Royal: "Seven, Check and see if this creature is on record somewhere. Or if some tanks we thought were screamers are these things... Seekers for now, until we have a real name."

"Florence, we need you to figure out what's going on here. Should this sense work? how does it change what we know?"

Those three start working... it doesn't seem that Julian has anything to do at 3 in the morning.

In the morning (what time does Julian wake up?), Florence announces that she has found a client: the Rebel leadership on Panogos. "They are not our ideal client, but with the increased time limit, they are best situated to protect the Starpus."

Seven has found what he thinks is the problem team: they've been sweeping a different station. Florence is apparently lobbying to steal the creature. Slam thinks they should just shoot it. Royal says she will only authorize an attack if they are either desperate or very confident it will be worth the payoff.

They want Julian awake for when the feed the Starpus. The Starpus are quite hungry, or so they assure him. Florence says they have new fish species they're feeding them, hoping to through off any purchasing trail...

OCC: Royal thinks Julian's a one in a Million asset (or more). That really changes how claims are assessed.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 08:58 PM   #743
TGLS

Quote:
Royal: "Seven, Check and see if this creature is on record somewhere. Or if some tanks we thought were screamers are these things... Seekers for now, until we have a real name."

"Florence, we need you to figure out what's going on here. Should this sense work? how does it change what we know?"

Those three start working... it doesn't seem that Julian has anything to do at 3 in the morning.
I wonder when someone's going to want a straight answer as to how I know... Would they even believe, "I dreamt it?"
Quote:
In the morning (what time does Julian wake up?),
Well that probably depends on:
Quote:
They want Julian awake for when the feed the Starpus. The Starpus are quite hungry, or so they assure him. Florence says they have new fish species they're feeding them, hoping to through off any purchasing trail...
And also, when are they hungry? If they're hungry at 3AM, it's probably characteristically doormatish that Julian would be fine feeding them then. But assuming the Starpus are inclined to wait forever (big assumption!), then the answer is: Julian wanted to sleep eight hours this night, but he'll add an additional hour because he woke up early at 3AM and had to do stuff. So if he went to bed at 10:00 PM, and when back to bed at 3:30 AM, then he'll wake up at 7:30 AM.
Quote:
Florence announces that she has found a client: the Rebel leadership on Panogos. "They are not our ideal client, but with the increased time limit, they are best situated to protect the Starpus."
Not sure if this a retcon, a mistake, or a fluid situation:

"I thought Royal was looking for a client. She OK'd this?"

Quote:
Seven has found what he thinks is the problem team: they've been sweeping a different station. Florence is apparently lobbying to steal the creature. Slam thinks they should just shoot it. Royal says she will only authorize an attack if they are either desperate or very confident it will be worth the payoff.
"That sounds like a risky gamble to me. They're already on alert, and the one we know about is surrounded by soldiers."
Quote:
OCC: Royal thinks Julian's a one in a Million asset (or more). That really changes how claims are assessed.
I may have missed it earlier, but the fact that she took his call at 3 AM is a big signifier to him of how much she respects his opinion.
Old 12-04-2023, 02:37 PM   #744
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Well that probably depends on:

And also, when are they hungry? If they're hungry at 3AM, it's probably characteristically doormatish that Julian would be fine feeding them then. But assuming the Starpus are inclined to wait forever (big assumption!), then the answer is: Julian wanted to sleep eight hours this night, but he'll add an additional hour because he woke up early at 3AM and had to do stuff. So if he went to bed at 10:00 PM, and when back to bed at 3:30 AM, then he'll wake up at 7:30 AM.
The starpuss food isn't ready until Slam wakes up at 6:30. The feeding will happen then.

Quote:
Not sure if this a retcon, a mistake, or a fluid situation:

"I thought Royal was looking for a client. She OK'd this?"
A mistake, Royal is indeed handling finding a client.

Quote:
"That sounds like a risky gamble to me. They're already on alert, and the one we know about is surrounded by soldiers."
Slam: "The initiative would be worth it. Its the one thing that can find us. We should get rid of it."

Royal seems happy to just have seven observe it for now.

Quote:
I may have missed it earlier, but the fact that she took his call at 3 AM is a big signifier to him of how much she respects his opinion.
Fair.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 12-04-2023, 07:01 PM   #745
TGLS

Quote:
The starpuss food isn't ready until Slam wakes up at 6:30. The feeding will happen then.
6:30 it is then.

Quote:
A mistake, Royal is indeed handling finding a client.
No problem.
Quote:
[Royal] announces that she has found a client: the Rebel leadership on Panogos. "They are not our ideal client, but with the increased time limit, they are best situated to protect the Starpus."
Most unfortunate... "Guess I'm definitely being cloned now..."
Quote:
Slam: "The initiative would be worth it. Its the one thing that can find us. We should get rid of it."
"Well, if it is the 'one' thing then maybe you're right. But well, who's to say they have more but are keeping them away in case someone shoots it?"
Quote:
Royal seems happy to just have seven observe it for now.
"Seems manageable as long as we know where it is."
Old 12-05-2023, 07:24 AM   #746
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Slam starts putting in the new fish:

Pleasant caller: "What is this?" Julian can't tell if he's delighted or upset.
Hungry Singer: "Its certainly a different flavor. I think I need to try another one."
Gentle Arms: "Is this a human fish*"

*Certainly not, they look halfway between squid and fish

Quote:
Most unfortunate... "Guess I'm definitely being cloned now..."
Royal: "Only if they can't separate what makes you different. And they could just as well go after other astropics: now that they have starpus, astropics are a useful to aquire. On payroll."

Royal: "How good of a repertoire do you have with the starpus? As part of the price agreement, we need to know if they can reproduce. We... don't know much of that. If its easier, we can ask if Florence can examine them."

Old 12-05-2023, 08:35 AM   #747
TGLS

Quote:
Slam starts putting in the new fish:

Pleasant caller: "What is this?" Julian can't tell if he's delighted or upset.
Hungry Singer: "Its certainly a different flavor. I think I need to try another one."
Gentle Arms: "Is this a human fish*"

*Certainly not, they look halfway between squid and fish
"Uh, no. This isn't a human fish. It's got scales, and fins, and tentacles... It's uh, weird."

Quote:
Royal: "Only if they can't separate what makes you different. And they could just as well go after other astropics: now that they have starpus, astropics are a useful to acquire. On payroll."
I appreciate she's making the effort to imply it's not going to happen.

Quote:
Royal: "How good of a repertoire do you have with the starpus? As part of the price agreement, we need to know if they can reproduce. We... don't know much of that. If its easier, we can ask if Florence can examine them."
"I can try... If they're like an octopus they might not be inclined to given that they'd die..."

I try to broach things in a sort of delicate manner... "So, can you guys have children together or is that not possible?"
Old 12-06-2023, 09:22 AM   #748
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
"Uh, no. This isn't a human fish. It's got scales, and fins, and tentacles... It's uh, weird."
Gentle Arms: "And human fish don't have those things? Then what is this?"

Quote:
"I can try... If they're like an octopus they might not be inclined to given that they'd die..."
Florence: "We should at least know that. Though if they like an octopus they might have a limited lifespan."

Royal: "which would only make them easier to manipulate. We need to know either way."

Quote:
I try to broach things in a sort of delicate manner... "So, can you guys have children together or is that not possible?"
Hungry Singer: "Not in this tank!"
Big Digger: "Why are you asking about that?"
Gentle Arms: "Remember he didn't know if we were smart or not. Are you asking about now, or about if we've got a good spawning mix?"

Old 12-06-2023, 09:30 AM   #749
TGLS

Quote:
Gentle Arms: "And human fish don't have those things? Then what is this?"
"Not all together..."

I ask Slam, or maybe Florence over the radio,
"What is this?"
Quote:

Florence: "We should at least know that. Though if they like an octopus they might have a limited lifespan."

Royal: "which would only make them easier to manipulate. We need to know either way."
"Fair enough."
Quote:
Hungry Singer: "Not in this tank!"
Big Digger: "Why are you asking about that?"
Gentle Arms: "Remember he didn't know if we were smart or not. Are you asking about now, or about if we've got a good spawning mix?"
"Well, part of thing people I'm working with are interested in is whether getting more Starpus would mean going to Koru or not. I mean, at some point, people are going to want more boxes, or, well, you might die and we might need replacements..."
Old 12-07-2023, 08:53 AM   #750
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
"Not all together..."

I ask Slam, or maybe Florence over the radio,
"What is this?"
Slam: "Squif."
Florence: "Its a local species on Panogos. tastes pretty good. thriving market. Royal had me try and match a local commercial fish. Hardest part is getting them ungutted. Please ask if the starpus want to try them processed."

Quote:

"Well, part of thing people I'm working with are interested in is whether getting more Starpus would mean going to Koru or not. I mean, at some point, people are going to want more boxes, or, well, you might die and we might need replacements..."
Big Digger: "You don't know how to outfit us for the spawning season then? I suppose you wouldn't. We will... try to describe it.*"
Pleasant Caller: "I don't think any of us want to raise children though!"
Gentle Arms: "We have a functional but non-optimal spawning mix."

*The enusing description is about temperature, water turbulence, rocks, and is utterly lacking in any sorts of useful numbers.

Tags
lost in dreams