Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-25-2019, 12:18 AM   #41
Varyon

Default Re: I need tips on how to win a fight in fantasy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boge View Post
Varyon, why are you not counting Parry as his defense?
Unless his arm is extra flexible, like a tentacle, he cannot use a weapon in his right hand to Parry an attack from his left side hex. That’s the entire reason why I’m suggesting you risk an All Out Attack to get there - if he could still Parry, giving up your defense for only a -2 to his defense wouldn’t be worth it. -4 is more tempting - if he has Parry 14 (skill 26, Combat Reflexes), a rapid strike to the Vitals at 16 (or arm/leg at 17) benefits from a further -3, dropping him to Parry 7. Still risky, particularly if he uses Feverish Defense, but possibly worth it. If he’s reliant on Dodge 11, that gets dropped down to 4 - he can only defend with a critical success (Feverish Defense gives him a bit better of a shot, but odds are still quite in your favor).
Old 09-25-2019, 12:21 AM   #42
Varyon

Scratch that, forgot the +3. With Parry 17, even the -4 isn’t worth it, as you end up only able to reduce his Parry to 10 (12 with Feverish Defense). You need to force him to Dodge.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:29 AM   #43
Tomsdad

Hmm

couple of suggestions:

1). Get the biggest heaviest Shield you can find and do a wait "when he steps in I do a AoA deceptive shield slam" (you need to get that dodge of his down below 10, because if you miss he's going skewer you). That should knock him on his arse and unready his sword. Try and bait him in with a fast talk

Problem though you got no shield skill.

2). Get past that sword into CC, you got acrobatics, a good DX, a Decent Knife skill, brawling skill and wrestling skill. What rules does your GM use for long weapons in CC? the default one "no non C weapon in CC" or the more nuanced ones in MA that skill 26 will pretty much negate?

Go AoD use acrobatic dodge* and slip to get into CC and then on your turn hold on with some AoA Grappling. if you start in CC and your GM is using the rules in Campaign and not MA he won't get to parry with his Sword when you grapple (IIRC).

*is that only in MA?

Last edited by Tomsdad; 09-25-2019 at 04:54 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 03:33 AM   #44
Anders

Is there some sword breaker you could equip yourself with?
Old 09-25-2019, 03:37 AM   #45
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Is there some sword breaker you could equip yourself with?
Problem is (IIRC) the target basically gets to use their parry score to defend their weapon in pretty much all way GURPS has for attacking the weapon directly.

So unless it's a really heavy sword breaker he's going to parry the attempt!

Last edited by Tomsdad; 09-25-2019 at 04:50 AM.
Old 09-25-2019, 05:10 AM   #46
Shostak

Have you considered using your CP to buy Feint? You may be able to use a skill that shifts your opponent's resistance to a more favorable one.

Read a comment by Kromm about Feint here.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 05:25 AM   #47
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post

Depends on what ruleset. B392 "Defense in Clsoe Combat"says you can only parry using reach C weapons in close combat, so a sword without C wouldn't be able to parry.
IIRC on the turn your attacker moves into CC you can still parry/block as though it's not CC. If your attacker starts in CC the limitations kick in.

So the trick is to arrive in CC, and then when starting in CC attack on your next turn limiting your target's defences.

This is hard to do without a "Wait", "Slip" or if the target has a step they can use to step away and maintain distance between you getting there and you nest turn (they can also retreat in response to an attack*, although as per the OP there's a house rule in play that limits that here)

As an aside a good counter to this tactic is using Committed attack with a double step that allows you to move in to attack and out again against someone trying to do this to you, comes with CA penalties though so works well with fencing weapons. (However as per the OP no MA rules so no Committed attacks)

*raising questions about the whole "please attack me so I can get out of trouble" nature of some retreats

Last edited by Tomsdad; 09-25-2019 at 05:39 AM.
Old 09-25-2019, 06:52 AM   #48
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
2). Get past that sword into CC, you got acrobatics, a good DX, a Decent Knife skill, brawling skill and wrestling skill. What rules does your GM use for long weapons in CC? the default one "no non C weapon in CC" or the more nuanced ones in MA that skill 26 will pretty much negate?

Go AoD use acrobatic dodge* and slip to get into CC and then on your turn hold on with some AoA Grappling. if you start in CC and your GM is using the rules in Campaign and not MA he won't get to parry with his Sword when you grapple (IIRC).

*is that only in MA?
Acrobatic Dodge is in Campaigns, but unfortunately Slip is from MA, so isn’t available. Which is a shame, because this would be a pretty solid strategy to deny the target his sword. OP may want to check with the GM on how CC is handled - I think the “can defend normally if enemy has just entered CC” was either from the FAQ or MA, not from Basic, so it may be an option to simply step into CC and initiate a grapple. Failing that, if you don’t want to give up your defense - or wish to avoid killing/crippling - an option may be to step into CC, do an Acrobatic Evade (I think the option to use Acrobatics was in Basic) to get behind the target (but still in CC, so only one Step used), and initiate a grapple. The target is unable to use his sword to defend and, per your house rules, is at -4 to defense, giving you a pretty good shot at pulling it off. Note this isn’t the normal usage of Evade (which is to get into the hex just behind the enemy), but I don’t think there should be a problem using it this way (the way I see it, the sequence is that you start in the foe’s front hex, move into CC in front of the enemy, then stay in CC but get behind the enemy; you’d normally follow this up by moving into the enemy’s back hex, but I see no reason why you can’t stop before then, and the perfect maneuverability of a Step means you can turn around and engage immediately).
Old 09-25-2019, 07:01 AM   #49
Varyon

Another sort-of odd option would be to set a Wait - once the enemy is one yard away, use a Feint and step forward. Provided the enemy steps forward, you can Feint (likely failing, but there’s no penalty for doing so) and, more importantly, step into CC. Your foe is now denied his sword, so will have to try and kick or punch you (he can’t back away as he’s already used his Step). On your turn, you’re starting in CC, and thus can grapple without fear of getting your hand chopped off by a sword Parry. The GM may still allow him his sword attack the turn you step into CC, however, so this is of course reliant on you not getting skewered by his first attack.
Old 09-25-2019, 07:09 AM   #50
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Another sort-of odd option would be to set a Wait - once the enemy is one yard away, use a Feint and step forward. Provided the enemy steps forward, you can Feint (likely failing, but there’s no penalty for doing so) and, more importantly, step into CC. Your foe is now denied his sword, so will have to try and kick or punch you (he can’t back away as he’s already used his Step). On your turn, you’re starting in CC, and thus can grapple without fear of getting your hand chopped off by a sword Parry. The GM may still allow him his sword attack the turn you step into CC, however, so this is of course reliant on you not getting skewered by his first attack.
Step and All-Out Defend? I wonder if that would work? The +2 for concentrated defense cancels out the +4 skill advantage of a 26 vs 22. All what you said about starting in CC applies.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
retreat, slip