Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-21-2018, 03:35 AM   #1
Chris Rice

Default New Followers/Monster Followers

I'm a big fan of the Talent system in TFT and yet, looking back, I never used these Talents in any of the games I ran (or saw them used in any I played in).

The acquisition of Followers in my games was always a situational thing, so if a character had saved an NPCs life that NPC might choose to follow the NPC, for example.

Nevertheless, these Talents are intriguing and I'm curious to know from those of you that did use them: did you feel they worked well and added to the game? Could they be abused?
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:59 AM   #2
Jim Kane
Banned

Default Re: New Followers/Monster Followers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
The acquisition of Followers in my games was always a situational thing, so if a character had saved an NPCs life that NPC might choose to follow the NPC, for example. Nevertheless, these Talents are intriguing and I'm curious to know from those of you that did use them: did you feel they worked well and added to the game? Could they be abused?
Chris, I am really happy you asked this, as I have been wanting to ask the forum the same question for sometime now - as like you - we never used them, but the concept of talking to Trolls and Dragons is very interesting from a Tolkien perspective. Besides in our game-world, Trolls and Dragons do not talk (that is, speak to humans, anymore than dogs actually speak to humans), they are played purely as non-talking bizarre beasts. Also, any Followers (hirelings) were paid employees; or, as you stated, following the party because it suited the purpose or storyline of the NPC(s), and not only that of the adventure party. I am fascinated to learn the experience of those who did use these rules - thanks for asking this Chris.

JK
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:24 AM   #3
KevinJ

I have never used them and I've never seen them used. It seems that this should be based more on RP, with actions and interaction being more important that a talent that makes things happen.

Diplomacy is another talent that, once players learn what it actually does, they never buy.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:10 AM   #4
Rick_Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
I have never used them and I've never seen them used. It seems that this should be based more on RP, with actions and interaction being more important that a talent that makes things happen.

Diplomacy is another talent that, once players learn what it actually does, they never buy.
Hi all,
My campaign is much more oriented to politics and deal making so I have used New Followers. That said, I had to write a couple of pages of rules to better describe how New Followers works. The current leader in my campaign has two followers.

Monster Followers was harder, I tweaked the talent to make it more useful, but it has been a long, long time since anyone took it.

Diplomacy is used fairly often, simply because if the party leader does not have it, most reactions with other races suck. I had a player who was abrasive, but I said that if he took this talent, his character, would not be.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote