Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 09-24-2018, 05:36 PM   #1
DonutHole

Default Enthrall and unequipping items

I have a question about the timing window on equipping items as it relates to the bard's enthrall ability. In short, when can a player choose to unequip items after the bard has discarded and announced the intent to enthrall another player?

In our group, one player attempted (me) to enthrall another player. After the die roll was completed the now enthralled player argued that they should be free to unequip items (like weapons and armor) as they were not in combat yet (the enthralled player wanted to make sure I didn't win the encounter and receive the levels and treasure). I argued that they most certainly were in combat once the enthrall ability was resolved. But this raised a future issue of when precisely a player can change their equipped items. Obviously, if the enthrall special action hasn't begun, other players are free to change their loadout, but at what point in the enthrall process could they? Could they do it the second the action is announced? Could they do it after discard, but before the die roll? Or is it like kneepads of allure, where you should just unequip your items at the end of your turn if you want to avoid being compelled?
DonutHole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:10 PM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Enthrall and unequipping items

Players may generally equip or unequip their Items in play whenever they are not currently in combat. HOWEVER, once the Bard announces the intention to Enthrall a specific player and discards a card, the Enthrall action must be completed before the possibly enthralled player can do anything else.

Players may not play NEW Items unless it is their turn (and they are not in combat) or they have just received those Items, for instance as Charity or as a reward for helping someone else in combat.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote