Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 08-26-2018, 06:37 PM   #1
Compass Rose

Default Which Title To Start With?

Hello, I am brand new to the Munchkin series and I just picked up new copies of Munchkin Deluxe, Munchkin OZ Guest Artist Edition, Super Munchkin Guest Artist Edition By Art Baltazar, and Munchkin Legends Guest Artist Edition.

Which of the above versions of Munchkin would be advisable to start off playing so we can get a good and strong understanding of the game system without having to deal with alot of extra rules?

I feel that the less rules we have, especially starting out, the easier the learning curve will be providing a more enjoyable experience for all players.

Thanks

Last edited by Compass Rose; 08-26-2018 at 06:42 PM.
Compass Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:45 PM   #2
draigthedm

Default Re: Which Title To Start With?

Any of them. those are all the base games
draigthedm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:24 PM   #3
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

I'd avoid Super Munchkin if you don't want to deal with extra rules right off the bat. It's a good game but it has a couple of wrinkles to it.

Munchkin Oz is pretty straightforward, but it has an unusual blend of classes and I don't think it would be my suggested gateway, either. It also has a large number of Allies, which have their own rules.

My recommendation would be Munchkin Legends -- it uses the same classes and races as original Munchkin, but the jokes may be more accessible to people who aren't hardcore roleplayers. That said, Munchkin Deluxe would also be fine if you wanted to go that route.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:35 AM   #4
Compass Rose

Thanks for the detailed feedback.

I know these games are designed for 3+ players.

Would it be advisable to "kick the tires" a little bit, with only two people to get a feel of everything before playing with a group, or would you suggest "jumping head-first" and learn to play, for the first time, while with a group?

Thanks
Old 08-27-2018, 11:46 AM   #5
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Munchkin really doesn't work well with only two players. I would hate for your very first experience to be negative.

Strategy/tactics tips:

Don't be too quick to start bashing on the other players. Semi-coop play until most players are mid-Level (5 or so) actually works much better and makes the game more competitive at the higher Levels.

It can be smart to run away from a tough fight rather than burning all your resources, especially when the monster is unlikely to hurt you badly.

Death isn't always bad. Sometimes, it's the best result possible, since you keep your Level and Class/Race and get a whole new hand of cards on your next turn.

Pay attention to your Class and Race abilities - they can get you out of tough situations.

Rules often forgotten by new players: you can sell Items (cards with Gold Pieces) for levels. You can play Items that you can't use sideways to show that you're carrying them but not using their abilities. But you can only have one Item labeled "Big" at a time, unless you have a way around that.

Have fun!

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:23 PM   #6
Compass Rose

Ok thanks for the quick responses and the tips.

Anything else that you think would be helpful, please feel free to send it my way.

Thanks Again!
Old 08-28-2018, 03:04 PM   #7
Ghornet

What ever you start with, build slowly. Learn the basic game before adding expansions etc. Many of the expansions add rules and other tweaks so it's better to have a firm grasp of the basics.
Game Changers & Holiday Suprise
Ghornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 03:41 PM   #8
Rev1L

If you can I'd start with at least 3 people. Having only 2 players really doesn't work well for this game.

Also you may want to see if there is a Man in Black* in your area and go to a demo of the game. It's always nice to learn to play a game with an experienced player there to help out.

Men in Black (MIBs) are volunteers who love to play and teach Steve Jackson Games and frequently have demos at local game stores.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:54 AM   #9
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev1L View Post
Having only 2 players really doesn't work well for this game.
If you have only two and want the Munchkin sense of humor and wackiness, the Munchkin Collectible Card Game is a great choice. The three different starter sets are fixed, non-random, and playable games all their own. Grabbing any one of the three gives you a two-player game right out of the box.

http://www.warehouse23.com/products?...D=558399693-sb
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 06:16 PM   #10
Compass Rose

Greatly appreciate the advice and suggestions you guys have offered.

MIB sounds like a Win-Win deal.

What is the best way to locate local game stores? Google? Or does SJG list locations that sell their product lines?

The two player board game option is a nice idea that I will have to look into.

Once I can get a small group together, I am hoping the Munchkin games are a hit.

Thanks