Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-31-2015, 02:50 PM   #11
Randyman

Default Re: [WWII/TS/Covert Ops/Weird War II] Götterdämmerung on Walpurgisnacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Very much so. And fanatical SS troopers with the Death's Head (Totenkopf) insignia, even if they by all rights should be nowhere near Berlin at the time*, ex-Fallschirmjäger fighting under Otto Skerzeny as part of elite Wehrwolf** units and the aformentioned sorcerous Black Knights of the Thule Gesellschaft.

I was wondering more about the level of organisation and security of the more mundane threaths likely to be encountered prior to the scenario leaving the realms of reality behind while making derisive noises.

I want the adventure to start out with a tense scene or two where sneaking around and bluffing through potentially suspicious opposition are both options, but shooting their way in might also work. And then have a scene where combat which is more or less inevitable, but which nevertheless serves primarily to allow the players to display the awesomeness of their hand-picked To Save the World pre-gen characters and their ultra-lethal supporting team members.

Police, security forces and small units of confused defenders are all good for the above. Volkssturm is excellent. Within walking distance of Reichskanzlei, what are likely units to be encountered and who commanded them?

I mean before one would encounter units from Kampfgruppe Mohnke, that is. I will be... making some changes to that Kampfgruppe for the purposes of this scenario. :)

*And most certainly shouldn't still be fighting despite mortal wounds and what appears to be decaying skin tightening over their skulls.
**Oh, yes.

So, add a Monster Hunters tag to this thread?

"(GURPS) isn't a game but a toolkit for building games, and the GM needs to use it intelligently" - Kromm
Randyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 02:59 PM   #12
GoldenMonkey

They won't want to be wearing anything close to SS uniforms when the Russians finally arrive. That will be an unpleasant death.

They also don't want to use a cover as Soviet-sympathizer Germans, members of the local Communist party or whatnot. Those guys didn't fare too well either.

As far as getting out, the Swedish might be a good route. I wonder what would happen if the team took shelter and re-emerged in their Allied uniforms after the fighting had stopped. Not sure they'd be able to get past the Soviets with their prize, but they might be able to stash it for later retrieval.
GoldenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:39 PM   #13
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyman View Post
So, add a Monster Hunters tag to this thread?
Well, the Weird War II title implies some of the same things. But sure.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:46 PM   #14
Randyman

Quote:
Well, the Weird War II title implies some of the same things. But sure.
MH has a specific tone to it that could fit (IMO, very well), but MH tends to be less compatible with TS, recent Pyramid articles notwithstanding. :) So the flavor might not quite fit precisely.

"(GURPS) isn't a game but a toolkit for building games, and the GM needs to use it intelligently" - Kromm
Randyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 05:45 PM   #15
Þorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:

Have Beevan, shall have to obtain Ryan.
FWIW I have a copy of Ryan.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Þorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:01 PM   #16
Kalzazz

Somehow a flak tower should be involved!

Heliofly's would be very cool and have stats in WWII Motor Pool!

Check out this thread for discussion of 3e Heliofly equipped Helijagers http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=66748
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:24 PM   #17
adm

Quote:

I had thought maybe a decorated young American Marine who had not left his native land* before the outbreak of war and is included in the mission largely because a high-ranking US general insists that no matter how esoteric the skills of other team members, they'll need a good man in a tough spot who happens to be a phenomenal shot.
A spare U.S. Marine being available in Europe is rather unlikely. Marines were nearly exclusively assigned to the Pacific Theater, other than Embassy guards, and those serving as ships security units.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:55 PM   #18
acrosome

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenMonkey View Post
They won't want to be wearing anything close to SS uniforms when the Russians finally arrive. That will be an unpleasant death.
No matter what they stand a great chance of dying unless they get out before the Russians overrun the place. What they really wouldn't want to be in that event is female.

The Russians started shelling Berlin on 20 April and didn't stop until the city fell. Berlin was encircled as of 24 April. It seems a bit of a stretch to me that they'd let anyone out, be it Swedish, Swiss, or whatnot. Did they do so historically? Seems more likely they'd at least detain such missions for a few years, if not "disappear" them.

This is a hard one.

Agree- a flak tower must be involved, somehow. And if possible a Sturmmorser. :)

Last edited by acrosome; 03-31-2015 at 09:00 PM.
acrosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:30 PM   #19
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosome View Post
No matter what they stand a great chance of dying unless they get out before the Russians overrun the place. What they really wouldn't want to be in that event is female.
I remember reading (Or was it watching on the history channel) that being male wouldn't have protected you from that fate when Berlin fell, a good chunk of the Red Army was female after all
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:50 PM   #20
doulos05

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosome View Post

The Russians started shelling Berlin on 20 April and didn't stop until the city fell. Berlin was encircled as of 24 April. It seems a bit of a stretch to me that they'd let anyone out, be it Swedish, Swiss, or whatnot. Did they do so historically? Seems more likely they'd at least detain such missions for a few years, if not "disappear" them.

This is a hard one.

Agree- a flak tower must be involved, somehow. And if possible a Sturmmorser. :)
The shelling was especially horrendous in Berlin. I remember hearing somewhere that 60% of the buildings in Berlin were completely destroyed and 90% of them were "significantly damaged". The damage was so bad, they considered relocating the whole city after the war because they thought it'd be cheaper than rebuilding.
doulos05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
covert ops, special ops, tactical shooting, weird war ii, world war ii, wwii