Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-08-2019, 11:22 AM   #11
Rupert

Default Re: 4th WWII Vehicle conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeiLin View Post
Weapon check: I did a check of main guns for Panzer IV and Sherman against the front and rear body DR for 3rd and 4th respectively, and that made me a bit perplexed. 4th HP is about a tenth, and DR is around 83%, while the damage seems to me higher. The “regular” dice for APEX are higher, there’s the pi++ which modifies damage after DR (I’m unsure if 3rd has that), and the follow-up is also higher and has the ex trait (again unsure about 3rd). All in all, with all these factors making it easier for a gun to reduce a tank to 0 HP, unless 3rd has a lot of rules in its Basic/HT, it seems tanks die much quicker in 4th. I must’ve missed something; do tanks bleed in 3rd?
3e did have the equivalent of pi++, and of ex, it just didn't have them as explict damage types, just modifiers to damage if it came from a bullet or explosion. One thing to remember though - vehicles are Unliving, and thus take reduced damage from pi (see the box on B380), which counters the increase from the attack being pi++.
Quote:
AA Weaponry: I was trying to find some of the AA weapons, such as the 88mm AA gun (KwK36/FlaK18/FlaK36); which 4th stats come closest to that? Also, I couldn’t find a 20mm AA autocannon (FlaK30/KwK30/FlaK38/KwK38); which are the most similar? With the question above I’m not sure if it’s relevant to just take them as is or if I should adjust them first. If I should just take them as is, how would I decide what's "appropriate" regarding pi/pi+/pi++ and other stats (aside from looking at similar calibers/makes and arbitrarily deciding)?
There's no 4e writeup for the 88mm that I'm aware of. For those 20mm cannon, they used 20x138mmB, and so did the Steyr-Solothurn S18-1000 anti-tank rifle, which is listed in HT. So the cannons' damage and range can be taken from the rifle's entry (HT113, HT120) and the rate of fire, weights, etc. from the the cannons' entries on wikipedia and elsewhere.
Quote:
RHA DR: Where in 4th does it say 70 DR/25 mm of RHA? Don’t doubt it, but couldn’t find it.
Steel, 'Hard' on B559 gives DR60-70 for hard steel, and the basic DRs and damage ratings of 'standard' small arms didn't change from 3e.

A more precise number is given in Eidetic Memory, Cutting-Edge Armor Design (Pyramid 3-85, p.17-23), where 'High-Strength Steel' is noted as being RHA, and has a weight of .58 pounds per square foot per DR. As one-inch of steel weighs about 40-41 pounds per square foot, this gives RHA as DR70/inch.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 06:55 PM   #12
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
There's no 4e writeup for the 88mm that I'm aware of. h.
Hans did a Pyramid article on the Tiger tank. Let me check that.

Yep, Pyramid 3/67 A comprehensive Gurpsification of the Tiger with the 88mm main gun.

I've become quite fond of trading modest amounts of money for Hans' research.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:07 PM   #13
Rupert

That's not an issue I'd have thought to look in for a tank.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vehicles 4th, vehicles conversion, wwii