Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-23-2019, 05:52 PM   #21
Sorenant

Default Re: [Basic] Icarus Landing System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
flight (GURPS could use a slow fall ability, but Flight (Gliding, -50%; Downward Only -???, Minimum Descent Rate 10 yards/sec -???) works and will probably max out the limitations).
How about "Vertical Only, -25%" from Walk on Air and Super Jump (Gliding prevents going up, this would prevent going sideways, so the character can only go down) and "Minimum Descent Rate 10 yards/sec" as -5% to make the total limitation be worth -80%?

I think modified Catfall advantage, Parachute modifier and potential Cosmic is a simpler solution, but I think modified Flight is not that bad too.
Sorenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:33 PM   #22
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorenant View Post
That said, I support the idea that RAW Catfall should cost [5]. It's a neat ability but I find [15] exorbitant.
The RAW cost for Catfall is 10 points. I think it's probably over-priced at 10 points, unless the campaign sees a lot of falls from considerable heights, in which case it's probably a bargain.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 01:12 AM   #23
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
Gliding and Flight Move bought down to 0 costs a net 0 points for the average Speed/Move 5 person. However, Gliding doesn't use Flight Move, so it shouldn't be granting that in the first place.
Huh, didn't realise that. Either way, basic Flight is [40], reduced flight move to 1 is [-18], so [22] even before you factor in any limitations like 'must only fly down, never up', which should be a huge one on something as versatile as Flight.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:34 AM   #24
awesomenessofme1

It has an 80-yd minimum, but Accessory (Parachute) [1] should be valid RAW.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 04:37 AM   #25
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
The text on B80 under resistant would seem to make that illegal:
By the letter of the rules, it does. I certainly would not support Resistant to falling damage, but the Immunity comes out at a plausible price, if appropriately justified.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 05:15 AM   #26
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorenant View Post
So it seems he did not activate his augmentation at the right time, like opening a parachute too late. Which by the way seems to me like a fair interpretation of the Icarus Landing System: An electromagnetic parachute.
By the reading of the quote you provided, even accounting for a late opening the Icarus System burned out and stopped working high enough up that he returned to a fast drop speed before hitting the water.

So there is also a time limit on it's usage.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 05:37 AM   #27
Brandy

Here's an old thread about the same topic. Last post has a version based upon flight with gliding.
Old 05-24-2019, 06:27 AM   #28
Aldric

So it's a limited duration flight with gliding and a recharge time so you can't immediately reactivate it?

It's probably overcapping limitations, on the other hand, if you're going to fall, and this is the only "slow falling" option available...
Aldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:18 AM   #29
AlexanderHowl

Since Super Jump protects against falling damage, I would just buy such protections as Super Jump (Only for calculating falling damage, -80%) [2/level]. Level five would cost 10 CP and would allow an average Basic Move character to ignore damage from falls up to 1,600" (around 42 yards or 14 stories), and you could increase it by five yards with an Acrobatics roll. Level 15 would cost 30 CP and would allow an average Basic Move character to ignore damage from falls up to 25 miles. Level 20 would cost 40 CP and would allow characters to safely fall from LEO and would probably adequately represent most reentry systems.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 11:03 AM   #30
Donny Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Icarus Landing, as described, is Flight with a pretty severe limitation that all it does is cap your downwards velocity at the equivalent of a ten meter fall (about Move 15). Apparently normal people in that game take zero damage from ten meter falls.
I don't think that's quite right. It only works on falls over 10m. But you don't take 10m worth of falling damage when it works.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantage, advantages, catfall, fall damage, slowfall