Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-15-2016, 09:41 AM   #1
aesir23

Default Suntukan: Real World Martial Art Style [MA]

I was at a local martial arts conference last weekend, and I encountered a style of which I had been unaware. It seemed cool enough to deserve an attempt at a GURPS write-up.

Feedback/critique welcome.

Suntukan (Panantukan) 3

This martial art, often called “Filipino Diry Boxing” by western martial artists, is a practical, punch-focused style with a strong emphasis on streetfighting and self-defense. As such, it employs numerous tactics that would be illegal in even the most brutal of full-contact combat sports, it is explicitly focused on survival at all costs, and embraces brutality and dirty tricks.

While the exact origins of Suntukan are unclear, it likely developed sometime after the rise of popularity of Western Boxing in the Philipines in the late 19th Century. Famed FMA and Jeet Kune Do teacher Dan Inonsanto incorporated Suntukan into his practice and teachings, although he uses the term “Panantukan,” first adopted be FMA instructors in the west to avoid confusion with shotokan karate.

In addition to punches, Suntukan makes extensive use of hammer fists and elbow strikes (including parrying your opponents fist with the sharp point of the elbow—Aggressive Parry), and pressure point strikes (GMs incorporating Suntukan are encouraged to use the realistic pressure point point rules from GURPS Technical Grappling). Suntukan also makes use of standing grappling techniques, but mostly to Grab-and-Bash or to push or otherwise to open them up to strikes.

Often, Suntukan is taught as part of another Filipino Martial Art, such as Arness or Escrima. Style Adaptation, Suntukan should always be available to modern martial arts styles of the Philipines. Some Suntukan teachers incorporate kicks and knee strikes, those styles should simply replace Boxing with Karate as a primary skill.

The Skill Adaptation perk: Brawling Techniques Default to Boxing should be made available to Suntukan practicioners as soon as Style Familiarity is taken, regardless of how many points the character has in the style.

Skills: Boxing, Wrestling.

Techniques: Aggressive Parry (Boxing), Arm Lock (Wrestling), Counter Attack (Boxing), Ear Clap (Boxing), Elbow Strike (Boxing), Eye-Rake (Boxing), Hammer Fist (Boxing), Head Lock (Wrestling), Low Line Parry (Boxing), Targeted Attack (Boxing Punch/Arm), Targeted Attack (Elbow Strike/Throat), Targeted Attack (Boxing Punch/Face), Targeted Attack (Upper Cut/Face), Upper Cut

Cinematic Skills: Pressure Points, Pressure Secrets, Push

Cinematic Techniques: Pressure Point Strike.

Perks: Improvised Weapons (Fist-Loads), Neck Control, Skill Adaptation (Brawling Techniques default to Boxing), Skill Adaptation (Shoves and Slams with Wrestling), Style Adaptation (JKD, Boxing, or any Filipino Martial Art).

Last edited by aesir23; 07-15-2016 at 04:28 PM. Reason: I forgot Low Line Parry, so I added it.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 01:40 PM   #2
(E)

Default Re: Suntukan: Real World Martial Art Style [MA]

Seems to have some passing similarities to the various martial arts found on the Pacific islands. (I'm not an expert or even particularly knowledgeable though)
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 03:16 PM   #3
phayman53

Very interesting, thanks for sharing this. It is nice to see a martial art that actually makes effective use of the Boxing skill.

One question: is it strictly legal by RAW to have a perk that converts all of one skill's techniques to default to another skill? I thought you needed a perk for each technique (or at least closely related thing, like improvised weapons/natural weapons default to karate instead of Brawling). That seems like a very powerful perk.
phayman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:20 PM   #4
cdru

Quote:
Originally Posted by phayman53 View Post
Very interesting, thanks for sharing this. It is nice to see a martial art that actually makes effective use of the Boxing skill.

One question: is it strictly legal by RAW to have a perk that converts all of one skill's techniques to default to another skill? I thought you needed a perk for each technique (or at least closely related thing, like improvised weapons/natural weapons default to karate instead of Brawling). That seems like a very powerful perk.
The ultimate style has a perk to convert all Brawling techniques to Karate. So, it's legal to convert all Brawling techniques to Boxing (Which also means that you can also fight with legs and heads. Or with furniture by proxy fighting)
cdru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:23 PM   #5
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by phayman53 View Post

It's legal. It's actually an example in the description of Skill Adaptation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GURPS Martial Arts, Pg 51
The GM sets the scope of each
specialty. It may be as sweeping as Skill Adaptation (Brawling
techniques default to Karate) or as narrow as Skill Adaptation
(Breakfall defaults to Karate).
Of course, the only Style in the book to include that particular Perk is Ultimate Combat. Also, I guess I don't actually mean all Brawling techniques, I mean all techniques except all kicks, sweeps, and knee strikes--otherwise, I agree it would be unfair and too powerful to give to Boxing instead of Karate.

Last edited by aesir23; 07-15-2016 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:45 PM   #6
CoyoteGestalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
Of course, the only Style in the book to include that particular Perk is Ultimate Combat. .
IDHMBWM, but I thought I recalled "Brawling techniques default to Karate" as a perk in the Fairbairn Close Combat Training writeup?
CoyoteGestalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 04:42 AM   #7
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteGestalt View Post
IDHMBWM, but I thought I recalled "Brawling techniques default to Karate" as a perk in the Fairbairn Close Combat Training writeup?
Yes! You're right! I had only only checked the main Martial Arts book before.
Old 07-16-2016, 11:46 PM   #8
Infornific

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
Also, I guess I don't actually mean all Brawling techniques, I mean all techniques except all kicks, sweeps, and knee strikes--otherwise, I agree it would be unfair and too powerful to give to Boxing instead of Karate.
I personally think that Boxing techniques got a bit nerfed due to old assumptions in GURPS. If you see "Boxing" as the skill of scientific striking with your arms/hands, there's no good reason not to include Eye Gouge, Elbow Strike, Exotic Hand Strike, etc as standard techniques. Professional Boxing may not include those techniques but it's not like every Karate based style includes (for example) Jump Kick technique. So a Perk to cover all those techniques seems reasonable.
Infornific is online now   Reply With Quote