Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 03-18-2018, 12:58 AM   #41
tHEhERETIC

Default Re: In Nomine: the Sandbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyarcana55 View Post
"I suppose I shouldn't talk about vanity."

She says as she looks down at herself. She takes a sweeping glance at the highly fashionable, sexy party dress she is wearing with obvious distaste. With a perfectly manicured nail she points to her hair and make up and rolls her eyes.

"But then again, this isn't vanity. It's a uniform. It just reinforces my dislike and impatience for it all."
He ogles appreciatively and then puts his inner dog back inside. Relaxed but quite serious, he explains what he sees. "It's a tool, for you to project an image to your clients to get them to do business with you. Not so different from what I wear, except that yours is openly a fantasy. This dress tells your customers that you know what they think of Asian women and that you're willing to play that role for them. They get the joy of watching you and kidding themselves for an hour that you actually fit that role. Only the dumb ones and the smitten ones will actually believe it after they walk out the restaurant door." While he expects her to understand, he figures she won't buy into it. "A properly drawn blade shows the other guy that you're deadly serious and skilled on top of that. A properly worn dress shows the other guy that you can wield indoor skills with the same seriousness and precision." He leans back and shrugs. "It's a skill like any other. Hone it, perfect it, take pride in it."

Quote:
"No one fends for themselves? I can't imagine that. But I can sort of understand. That's a very easy way to make sure everyone is doing what they are supposed to. In my case that's not as much of an issue. Grandfather always pops up when he feels something requires his attention."

Sunae thinks about it for a few seconds then shakes her head

"I just can't wrap my head around that."
He doesn't know whether he should explain further, but he's got no other plans at the moment. "It's pretty simple. You grow up, you're taken care of, there's a very strong bond there. You wander for a bit like an Amish boy in the world and you realize it's really nice when someone has your back, and you get that little nagging sense of obligation, that giri, that you owe something for that. So there's Dad, waiting patiently with his list of things that need done and his mental list of which family member is best at it, and badabing!"
Old 03-18-2018, 03:32 AM   #42
ladyarcana55

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC View Post
He ogles appreciatively and then puts his inner dog back inside. Relaxed but quite serious, he explains what he sees. "It's a tool, for you to project an image to your clients to get them to do business with you. Not so different from what I wear, except that yours is openly a fantasy. This dress tells your customers that you know what they think of Asian women and that you're willing to play that role for them. They get the joy of watching you and kidding themselves for an hour that you actually fit that role. Only the dumb ones and the smitten ones will actually believe it after they walk out the restaurant door." While he expects her to understand, he figures she won't buy into it. "A properly drawn blade shows the other guy that you're deadly serious and skilled on top of that. A properly worn dress shows the other guy that you can wield indoor skills with the same seriousness and precision." He leans back and shrugs. "It's a skill like any other. Hone it, perfect it, take pride in it."
"You don't understand, this isn't for any customer. It's for my new boss. I'm supposed to be his bodyguard."

Sunae lets out a frustrated sigh

"I have had a lifetime of training. I have taken knives, I have taken bullets. I have seen and survived things that would make the most hardened soldiers cry. And what am I being reduced to? An overpriced arm ornament."

Quote:
He doesn't know whether he should explain further, but he's got no other plans at the moment. "It's pretty simple. You grow up, you're taken care of, there's a very strong bond there. You wander for a bit like an Amish boy in the world and you realize it's really nice when someone has your back, and you get that little nagging sense of obligation, that giri, that you owe something for that. So there's Dad, waiting patiently with his list of things that need done and his mental list of which family member is best at it, and badabing!"
Sunae thinks about it for a moment and nods

"I can understand that. When you put it that way it's actually not that much different for me and my family."
ladyarcana55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:33 PM   #43
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
"You don't understand, this isn't for any customer. It's for my new boss. I'm supposed to be his bodyguard."

Sunae lets out a frustrated sigh.

"I have had a lifetime of training. I have taken knives, I have taken bullets. I have seen and survived things that would make the most hardened soldiers cry. And what am I being reduced to? An overpriced arm ornament."
"I should have seen it. Your employer is brighter than you take him for. In a dress that revealing, with your ink concealed, anyone who isn't completely blinded by his nads is going to notice your musculature. Sure, you're the quiet little Asian girl, but you're also clearly not sweet or helpless. Your tension against the role will show to folks who know what they're looking at, and that's enough deterrent not to cross your boss. Socially acceptably female where a tough guy bodyguard would be unwelcome, but tough enough to defend your client in a fight. I hope you're charging enough for this. And I hope you're not mixed up with a gangster. Nasty employers, when they're not happy."

Quote:
Sunae thinks about it for a moment and nods

"I can understand that. When you put it that way it's actually not that much different for me and my family."
This meets his approval. "He's just got no business humiliating you in front of others. It compels me to get involved."

"That's not the only thing compelling you."

He gives Corat a dark look. "Hush."

Kyle moves to touch Ryuki's shoulder but he shies away. Nosy cherub.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:10 PM   #44
ladyarcana55

Quote:
"I should have seen it. Your employer is brighter than you take him for. In a dress that revealing, with your ink concealed, anyone who isn't completely blinded by his nads is going to notice your musculature. Sure, you're the quiet little Asian girl, but you're also clearly not sweet or helpless. Your tension against the role will show to folks who know what they're looking at, and that's enough deterrent not to cross your boss. Socially acceptably female where a tough guy bodyguard would be unwelcome, but tough enough to defend your client in a fight. I hope you're charging enough for this. And I hope you're not mixed up with a gangster. Nasty employers, when they're not happy."
"I know he's smart but he's annoying. The outfit restricts my movements somewhat. <shrug> But it pays and it pays well, so I am able to send more to my family. On the plus side, all of my debts are paid."

Quote:
This meets his approval. "He's just got no business humiliating you in front of others. It compels me to get involved."

"That's not the only thing compelling you."

He gives Corat a dark look. "Hush."

Kyle moves to touch Ryuki's shoulder but he shies away. Nosy cherub.
Sunae has a small smile

"I remember the last time you got involved. Grandfather was amused but he was surprised. We both were. Neither of us thought you would. That display of courage was impressive."
Old 04-03-2018, 11:45 PM   #45
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
"I know he's smart but he's annoying. The outfit restricts my movements somewhat. <shrug> But it pays and it pays well, so I am able to send more to my family. On the plus side, all of my debts are paid."

Sunae has a small smile

"I remember the last time you got involved. Grandfather was amused but he was surprised. We both were. Neither of us thought you would. That display of courage was impressive."
"That's good to know. One should always keep assets above liabilities, financially speaking." He likes the flattery but he doesn't want to brag--of course he does. "Thank you, but like I said, compulsion. It wasn't merely a display though. It was meant to look like a failed attack, but I got what I went after--the means to track him down later. That's how I was able to send the ghost to your--his--family's compound."

He looks at the others just a bit nervously, wondering who knows details and whether they'll talk.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:08 PM   #46
ladyarcana55

Quote:
"That's good to know. One should always keep assets above liabilities, financially speaking." He likes the flattery but he doesn't want to brag--of course he does. "Thank you, but like I said, compulsion. It wasn't merely a display though. It was meant to look like a failed attack, but I got what I went after--the means to track him down later. That's how I was able to send the ghost to your--his--family's compound."
blink

"That was you?"

There is no anger or distress on her part. Oddly enough, there is...delight?

"That was you? <she laughs> The children had fun with her and the teachers were happy to be able to use her to teach the children an important lesson. It was so cute."
Old 04-06-2018, 10:43 AM   #47
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
blink

"That was you?"

There is no anger or distress on her part. Oddly enough, there is...delight?

"That was you? <she laughs> The children had fun with her and the teachers were happy to be able to use her to teach the children an important lesson. It was so cute."
There's warmth in his body language, relief, maybe a touch of embarrassment. "Yeah, that was me." He pauses to calculate. "I'm glad it worked out for everyone. Is the ghost still around? Probably the safest place for her, where she is."
Old 04-06-2018, 11:56 AM   #48
ladyarcana55

Quote:
There's warmth in his body language, relief, maybe a touch of embarrassment. "Yeah, that was me." He pauses to calculate. "I'm glad it worked out for everyone. Is the ghost still around? Probably the safest place for her, where she is."
"I'm actually not sure. Grandfather may have banished her or someone may have imprisoned her if they thought releasing her would be a threat."
Old 04-23-2018, 12:04 AM   #49
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
"I'm actually not sure. Grandfather may have banished her or someone may have imprisoned her if they thought releasing her would be a threat."
"Imprisoned, oy. Kind of how she got that way in the first place, if you go by the movie version. She deserves better, even if she is a homicidal little thing"
Old 04-23-2018, 11:05 AM   #50
ladyarcana55

Quote:
"Imprisoned, oy. Kind of how she got that way in the first place, if you go by the movie version. She deserves better, even if she is a homicidal little thing"
"Yes, poor thing."