Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 03-26-2019, 01:10 AM   #1
copeab

Default One-Shot for this Saturday

This Saturday I'm going to the FLGS for three hours and see about running a one-shot. I plan on taking two games (weight limits) and see which has the most interest. I'm not considering any other systems at this time.

GURPS (3e): pregenerated BPRD (Hellboy) characters (probably all human), the system I have the most experience with

Fudge: only run once, but I've tinkered with the game for over 20 years. May or may not use pregenerated characters. No clear choice for an adventure, but I am considering dusting off a GURPS Weird World War Ii adventure I ran twice (once as a store one-shot and the other time to start a long running campaign).

Star Wars (d6): everyone can make a character and have the rules explained in 10-15 minutes, virtually everyone is familiar with the setting. The only downside is that it's a 30 year old game (although an anniversary edition came out last year)

Torg Eternity: never run, but not complicated and the newest of the systems I have (last year), and with pregenerated characters from six unique Cosms, players should find something they like.

Also-rans

Space: 1889
Mongoose Traveller 1e
Mongoose 2300AD 1e

GURPS 3e stuff: http://copeab.tripod.com

Last edited by copeab; 03-26-2019 at 01:21 AM.
copeab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 02:36 AM   #2
RyanW

Default Re: One-Shot for this Saturday

If I was there, the Weird War II would probably be of the most interest to me. I've just started to really get tired of Star Wars, I have no or very little knowledge of any of the other settings, and I would almost certainly mess up something in the GURPS game over some mechanic I had forgotten was changed since 3e.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:59 AM   #3
copeab

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
If I was there, the Weird War II would probably be of the most interest to me. I've just started to really get tired of Star Wars, I have no or very little knowledge of any of the other settings, and I would almost certainly mess up something in the GURPS game over some mechanic I had forgotten was changed since 3e.
In Torg Eternity, Earth is invaded by six alternate Earths, each coincidentally representing a gaming genre, imposing their reality on Earth as they take territory. The invaders are the Living Land (a very primitive Lost World kind of place dripped on the US), the Cyberpapacy (cyberpunk + Spanish inquisition in France), Nile Empire ('20-30's pulp action with Powers! and weird science), Aysle (pseufo-medieval fantasy in UK and Scandinavia), Tharkold (Road Warrior with techno-demons), Orrorsh (Victorian horror in India) and Pan-Pacifica (martial arts and Japanese style hortor in Asia). If you use a tool more advanced than the area are in supports (Tech, Magic, Spirit and Social), you risk disconnecting from your home reality and transforming to the reality you are in).

Space: 1889 is Victorian science fiction (not properly steampunk). 2300 AD is a little like The Expanse, but with the stutterwarp drive replacing the Epstein drive and the gates.

Last edited by copeab; 03-26-2019 at 03:03 AM.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:30 PM   #4
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeab View Post
GURPS (3e): pregenerated BPRD (Hellboy) characters (probably all human), the system I have the most experience with

Fudge: ... Weird World War Ii adventure I ran twice (once as a store one-shot and the other time to start a long running campaign).
These are the ones that would interest me. I've played a fair bit of GURPS TORG, and I've had enough of Star Wars since I saw the first film in 1977.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 02:46 AM   #5
ak_aramis

Keep in mind: Your game choices need to appeal to the local playerbase or you won't get players.

The only one on your list that would fly at my FLGS is d6 SW. And I killed my campaign due to exhaustion and setting burnout. (I'd run a year+ of FFG SW prior.)
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 05:44 PM   #6
copeab

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
Keep in mind: Your game choices need to appeal to the local playerbase or you won't get players.
In that case I need an rpg version of MtG ...

Quote:
The only one on your list that would fly at my FLGS is d6 SW. And I killed my campaign due to exhaustion and setting burnout. (I'd run a year+ of FFG SW prior.)
I took Fudge and d6 Star Wars. I got no takers and only one person in 3 hours commented on either book.

Old 03-31-2019, 06:01 PM   #7
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeab View Post
In that case I need an rpg version of MtG ...

I took Fudge and d6 Star Wars. I got no takers and only one person in 3 hours commented on either book.
It also really helps to "seed" one's table with 1-2 friends. (In my case, my eldest has been the seed player the last 1.5 years. OTOH, she's had a strong impact upon my choice of system.)
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 03:37 AM   #8
copeab

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
It also really helps to "seed" one's table with 1-2 friends. (In my case, my eldest has been the seed player the last 1.5 years. OTOH, she's had a strong impact upon my choice of system.)
Unfortunately this isn't possible. Not directly, anyway. A non-gaming friend has a co-worker who DMs at the store and she's told him about me, though I've never met him. I might be able to use him as a gateway to prospective players (being careful not to even appear like I'm trying to poach guys from his campaign).