Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-09-2019, 10:43 PM   #11
khorboth

Default Re: Hey total newby here

Given your genre, which I had to look up on TV tropes, I wouldn't think Powers would be critical, nor ultra-tech. High-tech and maybe the steampunk series would be nice depending on the details and how much equipment list you want. Since I have HT, but not any of the steampunk books, I can't say for sure.

One add-on that I always recommend is the free(!) pdf GURPS Skill Categories. It helps make the skill list more readable, but adds no new rules.

I also like the character creation program GCA available in the online store. I probably wouldn't invest in it until you are sure you like the system, though.

For general tips: Remember that GURPS is full of rules that won't apply to your genre. Just ignore them. Also, there are lots of optional rules which are good for tweaking the feel of a game. With a minor change or two, combat can get more or less deadly. Physics can seem more or less realistic. Characters can seem more like real folk or larger-than-life heroes. Pay attention to what is or isn't in your game in terms of how you want your world to feel. GURPS gives you all the tools, but you need to choose wisely from the box.
khorboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 11:21 PM   #12
AlexanderHowl

In general, you do not need Ultra-tech for pulp science fiction. If you want a ray gun, just take a gun from High-Tech, change the damage type to burning with radiation, and you have a ray gun. If you want a miracle drug, just come up with a fancy name and an effect consistent with your pulp setting. For example:

Oxycocaine

Oxycocaine is a drug derived from the medicinal cocaine produced of the coca plants of South America. When taken as a tincture, it increases the Basic Speed of its user by +1.00 for an hour and costs its user one FP when it wears off. When taken as a powder, it increases the Basic Speed of its user by +3.00 for an hour and costs its user one HP when it wears off. It costs $1 per dose as a tincture or as a powder.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 06:24 AM   #13
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adblue View Post
. . . Is it pronounced Gurps or Jerps?
GURPS is a game, Jerps is an off-brand peanut butter.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:27 AM   #14
Culture20

Quote:
Is it pronounced Gurps or Jerps?
I always use a hard G, like in “graphic”, but now I’m thinking the G stands for “generic” so maybe a soft G is valid.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:33 AM   #15
Culture20

Quote:
Originally Posted by khorboth View Post
I also like the character creation program GCA available in the online store. I probably wouldn't invest in it until you are sure you like the system, though.
There’s also a java based program named GCS (Gurps Character Sheet) if you’re running an OS that can’t handle windows programs (runs on windows too), or if you’re just looking to cut expenditures. Works well enough, and worth far more than the price (free).
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:18 AM   #16
adblue

Is there a video or something that sort of demonstrates what a typical GURPS session is like? About everything I know about the system off hand comes from irregular webcomic.
adblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:53 AM   #17
johndallman
Night Watchman

A good source is TheMook's GURPS Grab and Go pages.

Something to realise is that GURPS isn't a game-in-a-can like most roleplaying games. It's a toolkit for constructing the game you want to run, so "some assembly required" applies. Grab and Go shows you a lot of the basic components for that construction.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:44 AM   #18
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Is it pronounced Gurps or Jerps?
You know... for thirty years I've never even thoguht about that, but yeah, it should be jerps.

It isn't, but it should be.

Quote:
Thanks! I guess to clarify my setting I'm going for more what TV tropes calls "Two fisted Tales". What books should I have on hand regardless of setting?
Action 2 Exploits and Power-Ups 5 Impulse Buys. Those are the foundations of my games and I basically run only Two-Fisted style games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
I always use a hard G, like in “graphic”, but now I’m thinking the G stands for “generic” so maybe a soft G is valid.
Yeah... I'm with you. The soft 'g' goes against thirty years of my usage, but it would be properly consistent.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:47 AM   #19
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Yeah... I'm with you. The soft 'g' goes against thirty years of my usage, but it would be properly consistent.
Not just your usage. I've never heard it with the soft G, and everybody I've heard from SJ Games, including SJ, whose pronunciation should be regarded as authoritative, uses a hard G. It's GURPS as in "grapes."

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 12:45 PM   #20
WingedKagouti

Quote:
Is there a video or something that sort of demonstrates what a typical GURPS session is like? About everything I know about the system off hand comes from irregular webcomic.
I'd wager the typical GURPS session isn't that different from the typical D&D session, probably less focus on combat (unless the campaign focuses on combat) and instead of several different types of dice there are only d6's.
WingedKagouti is offline   Reply With Quote