Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 12-30-2018, 10:33 AM   #11
TippetsTX

Default Re: Advanced weapon talents in Legacy edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
I'm well into a new campaign with the new rule set, played RAW, and one thing I can tell you is that the advanced talents don't come easily. My players are aware of them and covet them, but purchasing just the first rank (expertise) in one weapon requires an XP investment that feels huge to an early-career character. I doubt any of them will even be saving up for it for another month or two. And it will take something like 10-15 sessions of play to earn the XP for that talent. I think other groups are likely to have experiences similar to ours, and that weapon masters will only appear in campaigns after they've been going for 6+ months.
That’s probably the answer I was most expecting TBH... we're just not far enough into any games where those talents would be readily available and relevant yet. And I think my secondary question as to whether the high cost of these talents (and the delay in aquiring them) is appropriate, is likely a bit premature as well.

I'll plan to re-visit this topic with ya'll in a few months, I think.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:33 AM   #12
larsdangly

To me, the best thing about TFT (particularly the new edition) is that once you know the game it takes literally 30 seconds to come up with and write down hundreds of really fun and unique characters. I've never found it to be a game that rewards munchkinism, simply because you can munchkin all you want and still be highly likely to get murdered by something stupid. It is just a waste of mental energy, particularly when there is all this other fun stuff going on.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 11:08 AM   #13
RobW

Our group is in the same position as others, no one is close to earning these.

But in terms of actual game play, I did report a solitaire Death Test run, adapted from hcobb's javelin experts. These were beginning characters, and two of these javelin experts, plus two beginning crossbowmen, fairly routinely handled all the DT rooms in one run. They were basically invulnerable to melee attack -- very handy feature.

Last edited by RobW; 12-30-2018 at 11:12 AM.
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 12:06 PM   #14
Helborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobW View Post
Our group is in the same position as others, no one is close to earning these.

But in terms of actual game play, I did report a solitaire Death Test run, adapted from hcobb's javelin experts. These were beginning characters, and two of these javelin experts, plus two beginning crossbowmen, fairly routinely handled all the DT rooms in one run. They were basically invulnerable to melee attack -- very handy feature.
Try giving the opponents Missile Weapon 3 and Thrown Weapons skills as well as Fencer where appropriate. Also use the original stats for ST and DX when they are higher. It becomes a contest who has initiative.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:34 PM   #15
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
I wouldn't waste a weapons master on front line defense. That's a job for your medic.

Doctor Grumpy
ST 12 DX 6(0) IQ 14 MA 6
Brand(1d-2), Plate Armor(5), Large Shield(2+1), Toughness(1)
Shield(1), Shield Expertise(2), Master Physicker(2), Expert Naturalist(2), Vet(1), Physicker(2), Literacy(1), Naturalist(2), Human Tongue(1), Miner(0)

Assume that he takes several hits of 1 to 3 points each during the fight and that he applies three points of healing to each.
Must be quite a sight, that Expert shield defense at DX zero.

House rules wanted:
* No beginning characters with Expertise and Mastery talents.
* Expertise might want a prereq of say DX 11, and/or adjDX 10 or so to use for defense, Mastery at least a point higher.
* For this and several other situations an "Ignore Engagement" option and risk consequences option is wanted. In this case, it'd be risking getting attacked at DX 0 for 1d-2.
* Probably also a minimum adjDX of an opponent before they actually Engage you in the first place.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 03:49 PM   #16
Helborn

I would suggest that MA cannot be higher than AdjDX. And a character with 0 MA cannot engage.
Old 12-30-2018, 04:25 PM   #17
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helborn View Post
I would suggest that MA cannot be higher than AdjDX. And a character with 0 MA cannot engage.
Horses would say neigh to that.
Old 12-30-2018, 04:36 PM   #18
larsdangly

The Deathtest adventures are not very useful as measures of the value of talents because the foes never have access to any talents at all.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 05:35 PM   #19
Helborn

Doesn't mean that we can't add some Talents to them to make the challenge harder
Old 12-30-2018, 05:40 PM   #20
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helborn View Post
Doesn't mean that we can't add some Talents to them to make the challenge harder
Yes, it would be interesting to see how well a 'young' party of 4 or 5 players would fare against a couple weapon experts or masters.