Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:05 AM   #281
Izzy_B

Default Re: Battlefields KS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
The only advantage I see to using cards is it's easy to add more later (i.e., new units), which is a real thing.
Stat sheets are good but cards are quickly visually identifiable.I can pick out a picture of a GEV on a card much faster than I can find that line on a stat sheet.
Izzy_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:11 AM   #282
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy_B View Post
Stat sheets are good but cards are quickly visually identifiable.I can pick out a picture of a GEV on a card much faster than I can find that line on a stat sheet.
I was thinking more along the lines of something graphical like Jeff's Stat Sheet, not a spreadsheet table.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:18 AM   #283
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Cards for standard AU is impractical. Especially dry-erase cards; why would you need that for standard AU? There's nothing to track.
Simple. One card can easily have space to track five or six different units of the same type. Then, someone can assign names, numbers, or anything else they wish to each unit of the same type . . . and, of course, track when they're destroyed.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:22 AM   #284
Misplaced Buckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
We really should create a complete deck of cards for all of the Ogre units.
Cards would be great but how about this... I've been putting ODE counters under my minis to help with range, defense and attack without using cards. The problem is that you usually need to remove the mini to see the numbers more easily. How about a new set of counters with space for the appropriate mini and the numbers moved so they can be easily read. This could even be done as a reskin pdf but nothing beats a manufactured piece for look. We already have the disabled marker. A little poster putty to keep it on the counter and you have the best of both worlds.
Misplaced Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:32 AM   #285
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Simple. One card can easily have space to track five or six different units of the same type. Then, someone can assign names, numbers, or anything else they wish to each unit of the same type . . . and, of course, track when they're destroyed.
Wouldn't that also require some kind of marker for the units so you know which one you are tracking? How many cards for each type of unit would be needed (i.e., how many HVYs would you expect to see at once?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced Buckeye View Post
How about a new set of counters with space for the appropriate mini and the numbers moved so they can be easily read.
This sounds like a more practical way to track the stats. It's right with the unit and no searching for the stats.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:46 AM   #286
Cat

Quote:
The good news is, it would probably be a low goal project if we took it to Kickstarter. One thing we know how to do: Print cards. :)
Hmm, Cards!

In addition to wanting a dragon's hoard of dry erase cards for all the Ogres, The specifically useful card we are lacking is the type I'm piecing together now which is just a visual reference card for all the conventional forces. At Arisia I had 3" x 5" printouts of counter scans that Jeff had made; and those were essential for running games with lots of new players.

I'm working up a fancier version for TotalCon which will include AU/VP points and maybe some other notes. This will either be a double-sided 3" x 5", or go up to a 4" x 6" if needed. (This was two steps away on my to-do list for what got finished in time for Arisia.)

The counters are wayyy much easier to quickly scan and process than a table of data. The counter size can be shrunk slightly to fit index card sizes so as not to take a big footprint on the gaming table and still have a comfortably readable font size.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:01 AM   #287
ColBosch

A couple of years ago, I suggested to Drew that Ogre record cards could make neat promos. On one side would be the stats and a picture, like we have now. On the other would be a brief history of the cybertank.

Now that I think about it, that could also work with conventional units. I'd picturing a card with a named formation, points cost, and stats, again with a little history on the back. The original version of Games Workshop's Epic 40k - back when it was just called Space Marine/Titan Legions - had little formation cards like that, though most were for generic units.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 09:23 AM   #288
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
I suggested to Drew that Ogre record cards could make neat promos.
So much this. One of my saddest parts of demoing Ogre is there's really nothing Ogre-related to give people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
I'd picturing a card with a named formation, points cost, and stats, again with a little history on the back.
What is a "named formation?"
Old 01-30-2019, 09:25 AM   #289
Cat

Quote:
Most units in pink are in the recently released reskin PDF
Ah thanks for that link. With some purple trucks, that will fill out my reference card nicely and be a little bit crisper than my scans of the tiger-stripey counters.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:06 AM   #290
offsides

I'm torn on the whole cards thing. At one level, I'm going, "Oo, Shiny!!!" :) At another level, I can see GP's point. That said, ColBosch's idea of cards that show unit stats on one side and background info on the other make a great compromise - they're functional enough that people can make use of them in-game, and they also have interesting info on them.

The other use for cards I can see would be for random units, but then you need to either have generic backs if you want the units to be a surprise. Want a random N-sided scenario? Deal 5 card to each player, and those are their starting units. Obviously the cards would have to be balanced point-wise, so that's really 2 separate deck ideas, but imagine the possibilities... :)
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote