Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Board and Dice Games

Old 02-07-2019, 12:18 PM   #1
industrialchild

Default One-Page Bulge!

Hey guys, I'm one of many of the very enthusiastic backers of the current Pocket Box Games of the Eighties campaign by Steve Jackson Games and it is going swimmingly to say the least!

Kickstater Link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...es/description

Now, I've been on cloud nine all throughout this campaign due to Car Wars (and it's many expansions, both ziploc and pocket box), Ogre (it's many expansions), Illuminati (and expansions...this will be my first exposure to Illuminati also)...

We've thankfully unlocked Raid on Iran and are dangerously close to unlocking One-Page Bulge (as of this post, just a little under 4K to unlock it)! All I knew about the game besides the title was the description that provided a brief history that explained that this game started out as a challenge: Was it possible to design a good war game and keep the rules down to a sheet of 8.5" by 11" sheet of paper? This sounded interesting to me!

Then earlier today I came across this "unboxing" video on YouTube, where a channel named Centurion's Reviews showed off what was in the Ziploc version of this game...

Link to video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-Au22zvsSo

I am slightly embarrassed that I didn't connect the mental dots...One-Page Bulge...Battle of the Bulge...Wow! I had no idea that this game was a representation of this historic battle! It's actually one of my favorite battles to play through in Memoir 44 and I've always had a strong interest in WWII history!

I know once this project is at my doorstep, this WILL BE the first game out of many that I will immediately dive right into! I simply can't believe on one page they fit rules including: weather, Allied air superiority, German supply/isolation, bridge destruction and capture of Allied supplies! Holy cow!

I'm so happy I'll get to experience this (sadly) rather obscure game!

The purpose of this thread isn't merely to gush over this fact/game nor to solely advertise this current Kickstarter, but I had to get those out of the way (glad I did though). As you can probably tell...I am a newbie when it comes to this game...

Would any of you kind souls on this forum care to share: memories, impressions, house rules, etc. on here? Am I right to be super excited by the prospect of owning and playing this? :D

I'm very enthusiastic and open to reading any experiences with this game and insight that you guys might be kind enough to bestow upon me...

Thank you for your time!

Last edited by industrialchild; 02-07-2019 at 12:39 PM.
industrialchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:34 PM   #2
ColBosch

Default Re: One-Page Bulge!

It's been literally decades since I've played OPB, but it's a very good little wargame. SJ didn't just slap together a generic rules set with a map and order-of-battle like far, far too many wargames. The rules are a real treat: simple, but perfectly tuned for the scenario.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:09 PM   #3
industrialchild

Fantastic ColBosch! Glad to hear that you approved of the rules! I'm mighty impressed by what is covered in those from the ad copy!
Old 02-08-2019, 02:53 PM   #4
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Unlocked!!!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/2410987
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:37 PM   #5
Buzzardo

I had a copy, played it once, lent it to someone, and never saw it again. I'm looking forward to this one (and the whole KS project) a bunch. :)

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:56 AM   #6
industrialchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzardo View Post
I had a copy, played it once, lent it to someone, and never saw it again. I'm looking forward to this one (and the whole KS project) a bunch. :)
Ouch! That is harsh Buzzardo! I've had a few bad experiences as well with letting people borrow things. Luckily, only a few ones.

I'm glad you now have the opportunity to take back what's rightfully yours! ;)