Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 03-24-2019, 08:06 PM   #71
Maximum7

Default Re: What could a scientist in my Star Wars RPG be researching?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kax View Post
that statement has a couple of problems. :P

* the SW canon and SWI lore are written by non-scientists and non-engineers, and most were written years or decades ago. So their view of 'highly advanced' includes stuff we have or know now.

* you've been given a set of topics, some outside present knowledge--'highly advanced'--and some at the outer edge, that fit your stated requirement.

So to be useful to you we'd need a more concrete idea of both what you mean by 'highly advanced' in this context and what your acceptance and rejection criteria are.

And there's a good chance that once you work that out you'll think of an answer yourself. :P
Okay. Something advanced would be anything that we could NEVER do now in the real world.
Maximum7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:34 PM   #72
Kax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum7 View Post
Okay. Something advanced would be anything that we could NEVER do now in the real world.

Finding and/or generating and manipulating dark matter or dark energy. Bonus: if any bad guys hear about this (in fact, any power or government) they will be very interested.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:49 AM   #73
Maximum7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kax View Post
Finding and/or generating and manipulating dark matter or dark energy. Bonus: if any bad guys hear about this (in fact, any power or government) they will be very interested.
Its a GREAT idea, but dark matter/dark energy/ and quinetessance is how Starkiller Base's weapon works
Old 03-25-2019, 09:57 AM   #74
Lord Azagthoth

Quote:
Its a GREAT idea, but dark matter/dark energy/ and quinetessance is how Starkiller Base's weapon works
There might be other uses. The Imperial Remnants always use science for destruction. Your scientist might come up with something else.

Dark Lord Azagthoth

Star Wars - TRPG
Lord Azagthoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 03:47 PM   #75
Maximum7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Azagthoth View Post
There might be other uses. The Imperial Remnants always use science for destruction. Your scientist might come up with something else.
To weaponize it again is redundant and I can’t think of any other applications. Rick and Morty used it for propulsion as concentrated dark matter but I don’t buy that idea.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:07 PM   #76
Anaraxes

Quote:
I can’t think of any other applications.
Long-term data storage (as in holocrons). Dark matter doesn't interact via forces other than gravity, so it's remarkably free from most forms of interference and degradation of records.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:03 PM   #77
Maximum7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Long-term data storage (as in holocrons). Dark matter doesn't interact via forces other than gravity, so it's remarkably free from most forms of interference and degradation of records.
Is dark matter even able to be made physical?
Old 03-25-2019, 08:20 PM   #78
Maximum7

Ok my scientist is studying sub-Hyperspace, the dimension in which quintessence can be turned into Phantom Energy and then travel to destroy star systems in real time. This is how Starkiller Base fires it’s weapon after draining a sun. (I’m sure Disney will explore it more in due time). However, in the mean time; I wonder what other things my scientist can study about it. Applications I’ve considered would be a sub-hyperdrive which would allow for instantaneous travel like Star Trek: Discovery’s Spore Drive. It also could be used for instant communications. Good stuff but too much of a gamechanger to tinker with. What else could my scientist be studying about sub-hyperspace?
Old 03-26-2019, 07:24 AM   #79
Irish Wolf

Quote:
Ok my scientist is studying sub-Hyperspace, the dimension in which quintessence can be turned into Phantom Energy and then travel to destroy star systems in real time. This is how Starkiller Base fires it’s weapon after draining a sun. (I’m sure Disney will explore it more in due time). However, in the mean time; I wonder what other things my scientist can study about it. Applications I’ve considered would be a sub-hyperdrive which would allow for instantaneous travel like Star Trek: Discovery’s Spore Drive. It also could be used for instant communications. Good stuff but too much of a gamechanger to tinker with. What else could my scientist be studying about sub-hyperspace?
Keep in mind that one major reason they stopped using the Spore Drive in DSC was because every time Discovery transited mycelial space, they were doing damage to the native ecology, some of which was sapient.

Perhaps the subspace of hyperspace that you're investigating is similarly "inhabited", so in the long term it can't be used, but right now we have to get this ship/small fleet full of experts to the galactic core so it has to be risked? Or perhaps it's actively inimical to life (it's filled with eldritch monsters or cuts you off completely from the Force while in transit or something), and your expert is along in an attempt to minimize damage to the crew.

(I'm trying to think of some reason why it can be used for your story, but not become a general part of SW background, similar to why Trek no longer uses Spore Drive. Also why your character, who is a research scientist, would be along for this trip, not "safe" back at home in his lab.)

If you break the laws of God, you go to Hell.

If you break the laws of Physics, you go to Sweden and receive a Nobel Prize.
Irish Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 03:23 PM   #80
Kax

Quote:

Quote: " a type of dark energy called quintessence".

Which implies very strongly there's more than one type of dark energy.

Also, he could be looking for a use of 'quintessence' that doesn't involve pulling suns into hyperspace for funsies.

Tags
sci fi, star wars, technology