Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 03-20-2019, 10:46 AM   #1
larsdangly

Default Adventures

Just saw the pdf release of the Tomb King adventure, and I love it! Great setting, NPCs and monsters, lots of new things to port over to your own home cooked adventures. Really looks like a lot of fun.

And, more generally, I'm loving the coherent, systematic approach the line is taking to the integration of MH tiles with adventure maps. This was a big question in my mind when the Legacy edition was first floated: TFT's approach to mapping and navigating spaces in play is so unique, I wasn't sure whether the new edition would back off and try to redefine itself around more 'normal' approaches to maps (rectilinear walls, etc.), or double down and just focus on TFT's table top board game elements. I'm really glad they did the latter: it is something that looks and sounds weird in the abstract, but when you are sitting in a group around a table, it just works to reach into your pile of MH tiles and reveal what the party sees around the next corner by simply building the space in real time on the table top. It really is a beautiful integration of the concepts of table top roleplaying and table top board gaming.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:09 PM   #2
JLV

Default Re: Adventures

Boy, I want to second larsdangly on the maps thing -- SJG has done a fantastic job of keeping things fully integrated where possible, and adding new material when required (new Megahexes and new counters)! Thanks guys, for not "spoofing" us (even accidentally) the way that other companies do from time to time!
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:36 PM   #3
Axly Suregrip

Can you post a link to the Tomb King adventure?
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:41 PM   #4
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axly Suregrip View Post
Can you post a link to the Tomb King adventure?
Not available yet. If you missed out on the Kickstarter campaign, you can preorder the hardcover of Adventures in the Hexagram BackerKit preorder:

https://tft-hexagramzine.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:21 PM   #5
Dranic1980

The Tomb King adventure sounds awesome. I just purchased The Chaos Triads pdf on W23 about 15 minutes ago after reading this thread. It looks like it will be a lot if fun to GM. I also plan on purchasing the other pdf adventure The Curse of Katiki-Mu next week and look forward to when The Tomb King comes out in pdf. Phil can you give us a rough idea what month the pdf is scheduled for purchase on W23?
Dranic1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 01:43 PM   #6
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranic1980 View Post
Phil can you give us a rough idea what month the pdf is scheduled for purchase on W23?
Unknown at this time. Our focus is on completing the project and sending it to print so that we can deliver on schedule. We'll put some thought into PDF release in the future.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:51 PM   #7
larsdangly

They are all good - quite creative and packed with little nuggets you can port into your own game (monsters, items, npc's, etc)

Another general comment: I feel like TFT is carving out a niche that reminds me of classic-era Tunnels and Trolls, not because of any similarities between the details of the two games, but rather because both games have unique qualities to their adventures that make them stand out as different from everything else in a crowded market. Whatever you make of T+T as a system, I think everyone recognizes that it occupied a special place in the gaming market because of its large collection of adventures that were very distinctive in their presentation and content. Other games had solo adventures, but they were T+T's calling card, and my experience was that they were the main player in that style of module. And there was a kind of flip zaniness that made T+T materials stand out. TFT is unique in different ways (most obviously, the board game like maps), but shares this quality of standing apart from the crowd of relatively self-similar games.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:23 AM   #8
Axly Suregrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
Not available yet. If you missed out on the Kickstarter campaign, you can preorder the hardcover of Adventures in the Hexagram BackerKit preorder:

I was part of the TFT kickstarter and got my box yesterday. And the game pdf files months ago. Is this adventure a separate kickstarter or did I miss something?

thanks in advance.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:42 AM   #9
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axly Suregrip View Post
I was part of the TFT kickstarter and got my box yesterday. And the game pdf files months ago. Is this adventure a separate kickstarter or did I miss something?
There have been a total of three Kickstarter campaigns so far. The Adventures that are being discussed here are part of the second project: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...rip-adventures

If you missed out on the Adventures hardcover, you may preorder it today as a part of the Hexagram BackerKit preorder campaign: