Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 03-28-2019, 06:33 PM   #21
hal

Default Re: Colonization history of the Third Imperium

Thank you Proteus,
Three worlds I'll be certain to pay attention to going forward. :)

That one of them is/was an outpost when it was settled, I'd have to take a look at the UWP to determine if it was likely going to survive for very long.

POCKET EMPIRES has rules for the building of Starports, which take over 100 years to go from X to A. It can take as little as 60 some years (twice the speed) if you allocate more resources towards its contruction.

I'm not certain that GURPS TRAVELLER STARPORTS would agree with that assessment, but in the absence of much in the way of frame work, something is better than nothing.

I'll read up on those three - so thanks for the heads up.

Hal
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:40 PM   #22
hal

It occurs to me to wonder about something.

Class B star ports (or Class IV in GURPS TRAVELLER) - can they repair jump drives even if they can't build them?

Next question along the lines of the chicken and the egg...

If you can't build star ships without a class A star port, worlds without a star port in theory, can't build star ships. Classic Traveller High Guard however, has a throw away phrase that implies that ships can be built without Star Ports.

Sooo.

Long night time...

One would expect that few worlds would have the capacity to build Star ships, which in turn would result in fewer ships to engage in trade and the like.

I'm going to open up a new thread titled "What do you think the Long Night was like" and see if anyone wants to venture an opinion.
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:47 AM   #23
SteveS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
As for an Annual population growth of 2.4%?

Based upon the fact that modern First World populations are shrinking instead of expanding (The need for 2.1 children per woman is for maintaining a zero growth population, many countries are falling below that all important 2.1 babies per woman statistic). Were it not for the influx of immigrants from countries with a higher than average babies per woman (ie 2.1), we'd see an overall shrinking of growth, not increase. The factors that affect this are economic in general, but also are based on political factors of the governments involved.

So - 2.4%? I'd tone it down for my campaigns. If you're fine with it, I see no problem, I'm just pointing out it may be a bit optimistic. <shrug>
I just pulled out the 2.4% to point out that a population with a growth mentality (which seems likely in a colonization mission) for the sake of the ten times per century. Some present day (or recent) nations have had population growth up to about 4.6%.

Traveller doesn't envision a post-scarcity future, in part because people seem likely to always want more, and in part because there's no adventure in post-scarcity. But on a new world that's hospitable and not yet overcrowded to the point that resource convention can be addressed by expansion, people may behave like they're in a post-scarcity world, possibly by expanding in population.

With a population that starts with a colonization world view, I can see population expanding to fill carrying capacity, particularly if the economic burden of children in an advanced society is addressed. The core of that burden is education, so if that is solved somehow population might surge.
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote