Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-29-2014, 07:51 PM   #1
otghand

Default Compute! at a distance via Super Powers

I was trying to create a character for a Supers game and the GM and I came up empty using RAW from Basic, Powers, and Supers. The concept was a seriously skilled white hat hacker (represented by a goodly skill in Compute! plus some supplemental / complementary skills) who because of <Origin> gains the ability to use skills at a distance / remove. Think classic cyberpunk in the sense of net running, etc., but NOT psionic with its new skill set nor requiring physically jacking in. The intent was to use extant, perhaps now enhanced Compute! and Electronic Operation skills to hack / operate the myriad devices that surround us in our present day world.

What powers / advantages would do this, or how would you construct a new set?

The goal is not to end up with new skills and techniques a la Cyberpsi, or abilities that just roll against IQ ignoring the mundane Compute! and Operation skills.
otghand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:03 PM   #2
Phantasm

Default Re: Compute! at a distance via Super Powers

What you can do is start with Mind Reading/Mind Probe with the Cybernetic (+50%) enhancement (p. B69). Using extant skills instead of the IQ is a +0% modifier (Powers, don't have the page number offhand, but look for a heading akin to "Skills for Everybody"). These abilities automatically work at range; you may want to look at the Short-Ranged or Long-Ranged modifiers in Powers for adjusting the range and/or range penalties for use.

Hope this helps.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:58 PM   #3
dataweaver

Don’t let the name throw you; Machine Telepathy is exactly what you’re looking for.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:57 PM   #4
otghand

Looked at that initially, but it had the problem of just being an IQ roll, not an extant skill roll, and it seems to suggest possession as how you run the net, which does not feel right. Looking at using skill substitution as suggested above.

I looked at building a cybernetic projection power, but projection appears to be all or nothing and I wanted a compartmentalized mind to be able to hack with one compartment while remaining active with the other.
otghand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:55 PM   #5
dataweaver

“Skills for Everything!” changes it from an IQ roll to a skill roll, and replacing a custom skill with something like Computer Hacking wouldn’t be inappropriate — especially if you treat each Ability’s associated skill as an optional specialization of Computer Hacking.

I see no problem with one compartment of a Compartmentalized Mind projecting while the other(s) don’t.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:03 PM   #6
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post
“Skills for Everything!” changes it from an IQ roll to a skill roll, and replacing a custom skill with something like Computer Hacking wouldn’t be inappropriate — especially if you treat each Ability’s associated skill as an optional specialization of Computer Hacking.

I see no problem with one compartment of a Compartmentalized Mind projecting while the other(s) don’t.
Agree on the Skills for Everything posts by you and TBrock. use that with the desired powers and your good ot go.

Disagree with you on Projection though. A big part of that limitation is leaving your body vulnerable. Thaat is why its specifically called out that all minds in a CM situation go.
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:12 PM   #7
dataweaver

Technically true. I could see a case for reducing the Projection limitation if you have Compartmentalized Mind and don’t have to go all-or-nothing. (Basically, I’m not fond of “Thou Shalt Not” rulings like the all-or-nothing Projection, especially when the option being rejected fits the power’s concept and is only being rejected for metagaming reasons.)

Last edited by dataweaver; 04-29-2014 at 11:15 PM.
dataweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:24 PM   #8
Refplace

Quote:
Technically true. I could see a case for reducing the Projection limitation if you have Compartmentalized Mind and don’t have to go all-or-nothing. (Basically, I’m not fond of “Thou Shalt Not” rulings like the all-or-nothing Projection, especially when the option being rejected fits the power’s concept and is only being rejected for metagaming reasons.)
I like the concept too but its not limitation without that vulnerability.
I would look at Aware for Clairvoyance for ideas on pricing.
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:35 PM   #9
dataweaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I like the concept too but its not limitation without that vulnerability.
It’s not much of a limitation; but you’re still losing local access to one of your mental compartments, so it’s not sufficient to reduce it to a -0% limitation.

But even if it does get reduced all the way down to -0%, that’s still better than flat-out forbidding it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I would look at Aware for Clairvoyance for ideas on pricing.
…and the slide into the HEROization of GURPS continues.

To clarify: my complaint here is that the game mechanics are being divorced from the in-game concepts that they were originally designed to model, and are now being promoted to center-stage.

Last edited by dataweaver; 04-29-2014 at 11:43 PM.
dataweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:25 AM   #10
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
To clarify: my complaint here is that the game mechanics are being divorced from the in-game concepts that they were originally designed to model, and are now being promoted to center-stage.
You're about 11 years too late to change this direction for 4e, and a similar amount early for 5e.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compute!, powers