Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-20-2014, 02:11 AM   #1
Kol

Default What disadvantages would you give this character?

I've been toying with the character for an upcoming GURPS game.

Working off a recent reading of both H.G. Wells books, Dr. Moreau, and The Limits of Individual Plasticity. Combined with looking back at beatmen stories from the 80's-90's before anthro-culture hit the internet. Including watching a few friends aversions, and a few lines of Amnesia: a machine for pigs that really disturbed me. I noticed a large number of evil Piglike wizards from gannondorf (Zelda) to a number of D&D comic books.
So I wanted to make one of my own, I decided to forgo the normal stereotypical fat ugly guy, and make him athletic and handsome.

The only picture I could find that even comes close to my mental image.
https://static.f-list.net/images/charimage/1318505.jpg

His name is Toben Thrane, a 200pt (100pt in disadvantages) sorcerer.
Stastically he's simmilar to a normal human.

In my backstory due to an accident he winds up morphed up with a nearby peasnt's swine. Instead of going full mutation monster, he used his research grants for magic, along with physical therapy to fix most of his body into a much better shape. His mind is far less sound. His body is still composed of pig flesh, and he can't get his face right anymore.

I've created this character already, but I want to see what a group far more skilled than myself can come up with for a piggy wizard.

Bring forth the stories and disadvantages.
Kol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:53 AM   #2
Captain Joy

Default Re: What disadvantages would you give this character?

Ham Fisted comes to mind.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:17 AM   #3
Anders

Disturbing Voice. Bad Grip. Boars definitely have Bad Temper.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:36 AM   #4
Kol

aha, I gave him bad temper, along with bouts of minor meglomania & greed to reflect his "piggy wizard" insperation in the 90's those things were always kidnapping princesses and take over kingdoms. So I gave him letcher too.
I also gave him a minor aversion to domestic pigs due to psychology ("oink oink join us at the slops Toben..." *farmer looks over* why is the pig guy running in terror from mah farm?") and a few other things
Old 03-20-2014, 07:56 PM   #5
Vaevictis Asmadi

Did he start out as a regular human or a regular pig, before his accident?

Do you have any particular plans for how his mind is unsound?

If the guy is really insecure about his status as a human (if he used to be human) or as an equal intelligent being (if he used to be a pig and/or suffers social stigma) he might have interesting (borderline disfunctional) behaviors to prove his worth to himself and/or others, or to avoid things that make him feel insecure, or even to prevent himself from consciously admitting/recognizing his insecurity. Compulsive behaviors, phobias, prejudices, weird rituals or even delusions, odious personal habits, habits or expressions.

Depending on how you conceptualize the accident, you could justify almost any magical or medical side-effect you want.

Published GURPS Settings
(as of 4/2013 -- I hope to update it someday...)
Vaevictis Asmadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:47 AM   #6
Kol

I'm thnking he starts cracking with a single thought "oh my god... I'm made of pig!"
The magic used by a rival put his mind into the body of a nearby creature, which happened to be a swineherd's prized pig on it's way to market. but due to various screwups, the rival got splynched, and the pig became humanoid.

In truth he's not sure if he's a human who's now "made of pig" a humanoid pig who has the memories of a human sorcerer. which only adds to his anxiety.

I'm deffnately going to add the odd behaviors to try and prove his worth to himself. Part of the reason he avoids domestic pigs in large numbers is because it makes him incredibly insecure.

The simmilarities he notices between men and pigs don't help at all.

He's not the type to get depressed though, depressive characters aren't fun to play with my group. His insecurity causes him to overcompensate with overconfidence, and a bit of a cruel side due to him taking out his fustrations on enemies.
Lastly he's a letcher he was as a human, and he is now, and a bit greedy.
But I'm going to give him the code of honor (genelemen) as well, and a compulsion to give to charity when asked. Partly because he's a nice guy, and partly because he's trying to be a decent human being, dispite not being a human being.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:43 AM   #7
Kilmore

-5 Unnatural Features to begin with, unless the folks in your world are blase' to a dude who's a pig.
-1 point quirk: smells (and tastes!) like pork

Stress Atavism is a Disadvantage that is a custom fit for "uplifted" characters.
He probably has some sort of reputation, because I'm sure people are talking about him.
Kilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:58 AM   #8
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilmore View Post
-1 point quirk: smells (and tastes!) like pork
Humans have this feature already.
Dalillama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:07 PM   #9
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kol View Post
So I wanted to make one of my own, I decided to forgo the normal stereotypical fat ugly guy, and make him athletic and handsome.
I just don't see this as possible. A human being just would not look at a anthropomorphic pig and find it attractive, let alone handsome... perhaps they might find them "Impressive" but without some sort of fetish it's not going to happen. And I suspect those who did have such a fetish would find it evaporate when confronted with the reality.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:54 PM   #10
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
I just don't see this as possible. A human being just would not look at a anthropomorphic pig and find it attractive, let alone handsome... perhaps they might find them "Impressive" but without some sort of fetish it's not going to happen. And I suspect those who did have such a fetish would find it evaporate when confronted with the reality.
Appearance, +25% Universal.

Last edited by vicky_molokh; 03-22-2014 at 06:45 AM.
vicky_molokh is offline   Reply With Quote