Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-01-2013, 09:33 AM   #21
XBott94

Default Re: Programm for the fight (4th edition)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayDowling View Post
Prove you're legit and post full source. It seems unlikely though that you'd be using Delphi7 in school. It's nothing like a recent release. There are other more modern tools that are more likely for you to use. Also, I'm somewhat shocked that a school is teaching pascal instead of another language in more common usage like C++, Java or Python.

But post full source so we can build it ourselves, and we'll see if you're legit.
the problem is, the teachers who are allowed to teach computer science are older than 50 and they don't want to learn a new language which is really sad.
XBott94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:19 AM   #22
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Prove you're legit and post full source. It seems unlikely though that you'd be using Delphi7 in school. It's nothing like a recent release. There are other more modern tools that are more likely for you to use. Also, I'm somewhat shocked that a school is teaching pascal instead of another language in more common usage like C++, Java or Python.

But post full source so we can build it ourselves, and we'll see if you're legit.
Well, Pascal was made as a tool for teaching good programming practices, wasn't it? So it makes sense that it is being taught.

C++ does seem like a good choice, not as a teaching tool, but as something that is widely used. I suppose same applies to Java, though I seem to have all sorts of bad luck with all things Java and JS, so I'm biased against it.
As for Python, we have a primarily Python-oriented programmer at the office, and when I asked whether he would prefer that we all used Python, he said (referring to the non-programmer gamedevs) that this language is not a good thing for beginners due to many of its peculiarities.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:32 AM   #23
XBott94

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Well, Pascal was made as a tool for teaching good programming practices, wasn't it? So it makes sense that it is being taught.

C++ does seem like a good choice, not as a teaching tool, but as something that is widely used. I suppose same applies to Java, though I seem to have all sorts of bad luck with all things Java and JS, so I'm biased against it.
As for Python, we have a primarily Python-oriented programmer at the office, and when I asked whether he would prefer that we all used Python, he said (referring to the non-programmer gamedevs) that this language is not a good thing for beginners due to many of its peculiarities.
pascal is an easy language and if you learned pascal it is easyer to learn a different language later. i think it's a part of the school system of the state where i live to teach pascal at school and later at the university you will learn other languages.
XBott94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:41 PM   #24
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
I was taught pascal in school. It's not a particularly good choice for learning modern programming, as it's almost as low level as C, and won't make you familiar with style conventions of other languages, but it's not especially shocking for it to be taught.

However, regardless of that, for any project on this scale, there's simply no good reason not to release source code.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:43 PM   #25
ClayDowling

I was taught Pascal in school as well. In 1991. The next semester, they switched the intro class to C++. I worked in pascal for 5 years. Switched to C and C++ when my boss wasn't looking and haven't regretted it a bit.

There's no source code post there though. Got an invalid link message from dropbox, which isn't surprising when you tried to link to a .txt file, rather than a .pas and a .dpr
Old 01-03-2013, 10:06 PM   #26
Ketsuban

Quote:
There's no source code post there though. Got an invalid link message from dropbox, which isn't surprising when you tried to link to a .txt file, rather than a .pas and a .dpr
The working link is in the OP - apparently he put it there, then copied the abbreviated link text and pasted it as a URL in his reply. Whether that's clumsiness or stupidity is in the eye of the beholder, but I'm not particularly inclined to give the benefit of the doubt right now.

Have you tried opening the binary in a hex editor and looking for any signs of foul play, like the string "PRIVMSG"?
Ketsuban is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enemy, gurps 4e, helper, programming, xbott94