Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-03-2020, 10:06 AM   #11
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: Superior Contenders [Martial Arts]

So, I think that the consensus is that the minimum ST should go up to 14. As for the HT, HT 12 is the lowest HT that I would ever give a heroic NPC. If I was making a PC for the equivalent purpose, I would give them HT 14. You get +2 to HT skills (always useful), +2 FP (great in a fight), and +2 to avoid unconsciousness and/or death. Fit would also be a good inclusion, as would Rapid Healing (VRH is really not worth the extra 10 CP).
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:20 AM   #12
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
So, I think that the consensus is that the minimum ST should go up to 14.
Depends on the weight class. How big is this guy?

Quote:
(VRH is really not worth the extra 10 CP).
In a campaign without unnatural healing it will quarter the time before you can get back into training/fight again. That's a massive advantage! I'd say probably all athletes at the top of their game have it. If the game has some kind of ultra-tech/supernatural healing, it's not worth nearly as much.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:29 AM   #13
zoncxs

Actually, for ST. I would say keep it at ST 12, but then add Striking ST +2.

The best boxers in the world are champs in more than one weight class. If I am not mistaken there was a boxer that held 6 titles at one time.
zoncxs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 12:26 PM   #14
AlexanderHowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
In a campaign without unnatural healing it will quarter the time before you can get back into training/fight again. That's a massive advantage! I'd say probably all athletes at the top of their game have it. If the game has some kind of ultra-tech/supernatural healing, it's not worth nearly as much.
VRH does not quarter your healing time compared to Rapid Healing, it only halves the healing time. Honestly, it is probably better to invest the extra 10 points into higher skill. Of course, it makes more sense to have Boxing-22 and Boxing Sport-24 than Boxing-22 and Boxing Sport-22, as it costs the same number of points. Here is a possible redesign then:

Contender [200]

Attributes: ST 14 [40]; DX 12 [40]; IQ 10 [0]; HT 12 [20]

Advantages: Combat Reflexes [15]; Fit [5]; High Pain Threshold [10]; Luck [15]; Rapid Healing [5]

Perks: Style Familiarity (Boxing) [1]

Disadvantages: Code of Honor (Fight Fair) [-5]; Enemy (Rival; 9-) [-5]; Obsession (Become the best in the world) [-10]; Overconfidence (12-) [-5]; Pacifism (Cannot Kill) [-15]

Skills: Boxing (A) DX+10 [4]-22; Boxing Sport (A) DX+12 [48]-24; Current Affairs (Sports) IQ+2 [4]-12; Games (Boxing) IQ+2 [4]-12; Lifting (A) HT [2]-12; Running (A) HT [2]-12; Savior-Faire (Dojo) (E) IQ [1]-10

In the ring, he has a Dodge 10 and a Parry 16, meaning that he is unlikely to get hit by anything but a critical success (which is the primary reason for Luck), and he is dealing 1d-1 crushing damage with boxing gloves (1d crushing with uppercuts with boxing gloves), and he is capable of DWA (Uppercut) to the face at skill 14. With 24 CP remaining (plus 5 CP from quirks), what else would you give the contender?
Old 06-03-2020, 12:40 PM   #15
Þorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
With 24 CP remaining (plus 5 CP from quirks), what else would you give the contender?
A personality.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Þorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 01:00 PM   #16
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

That parry 16 won't always be 16: the other guy can use deceptive attacks, especially stacked with evaluate.

Targeted attack (Face) seems like something a boxer would have.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 02:08 PM   #17
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
VRH does not quarter your healing time compared to Rapid Healing, it only halves the healing time. Honestly, it is probably better to invest the extra 10 points into higher skill.
How do you think you're getting that high skill in the first place? Training? And guess what happens during training? Injuries! Athletes who have long, successful careers tend to recover fast and well, classic example would be Jesse Owens at the Big Ten; he wasn't fully recovered, but I'm certain he wouldn't have set those records on the day he was injured.
Quote:
what else would you give the contender?
A higher Will than 10. Training requires focus and determination, Back to School uses WILL for the study roll to determine how many hours of study you get in a month.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:57 PM   #18
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
That parry 16 won't always be 16: the other guy can use deceptive attacks, especially stacked with evaluate.

Targeted attack (Face) seems like something a boxer would have.
Parry-16 also doesn't matter against Critical hits and those can be 10% of all attacks. Getting 2 more HP with the ST is good but I'd buy up HP to the max.

TA(Face) is a definite. It's a potential fight winner with HT rolls on every hit and a HT-5 roll if you get max damage and cause a Major Wound.

As to Boxing and Boxing(Sport), Boxing-22 and Boxing(Sport)-19 is the elvel that makes sense. The (Sport) version would be for amateur only and amateur boxing is also not what it used to be an extensive amateur career is no longer all that common in professionals. Also of course, Boxing(Sport) is pts for nothing at the level in which this npc would appear.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:50 PM   #19
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Parry-16 also doesn't matter against Critical hits and those can be 10% of all attacks.
With 3 level of the Enhanced Critical perk, it could be as high as 37.5%!
Old 06-03-2020, 07:51 PM   #20
AlexanderHowl

A contender with Boxing Sport-19 while get defeated soundly by a contender with Boxing Sport-24. For example, the better contender could do a DWA Punch to the face for a skill 15 every turn, which the worse contender would have difficulty dealing with. If they attempt to using Boxing-22 instead, they would be quickly disqualified (anyway, the previous contender also has Boxing-22, so it is not like cheating will get them anywhere).

As for the critical successes, that is what Luck is protecting against. A 10% chance of a critical success becomes a 0.1% chance when luck shows up. Heck, using Luck defensively allows a character to potentially turn an enemy's critical success into a critical failure, so you almost want your opponent to get a critical success so you can kick them into critical failure.