Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-02-2020, 09:30 PM   #1
Lameth

Default RPM: Remorse Spell

Hello

I am thinking of a spell that when cast on another forces them to see the sins and horrors they have committed, and be stunned by them for a time. Basically I see it as almost a cleric or paladins attack spell. By invoking "Know they Weight" the target, most times a very bad person, will "feel" the full weight of the pain and horror they have caused others and will be stunned, and/or remorseful for a few turns. This may lead the person to simply shake it off, and continue the fight or his sins, or it may cause the person to take a new look at their life, and maybe correct issues.

The issue is I have no idea how to write it up. It could simply be a Affliction of stunning, sure, but what else? Maybe the spell gives "Empathy" for a duration, or maybe it negates the persons worse disadvantages by paying for that as a alternate trait. Therefore if the person has a 15 point callous, and 15 bloodlust, the spell would cost 30 SP to by those disadvantages off for a time.

or is this spell to high concept to be created? or can you all see a better way to construct a spell that is in the same spirit of this idea?

ideas?

Last edited by Lameth; 06-02-2020 at 09:37 PM.
Lameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 09:36 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: RPM: Remorse Spell

It could be created but Id go with a series, the first a basic stun or fright check.
The rest more powerful versions,possibly even a Side Effect type thing so they require a high margin of success to by off bad or add good traits.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:08 PM   #3
Lameth

Refplace you are a genius that gives me an idea. Ghostdancer but out an article last year on Sin Eating and this might fit within it. What if this spell basic spell, no more then a stunning spell, "exposes" the persons sins as a manifestation of some type, then the person with the next level of the spell could "take those into themselves, relieving the person of them"?. Per GhostDancer it basically using the corruption rules of horror and this spell would allow the target to basically shed their corruption if they where willing, and allows the caster to take that into themselves for a time, with maybe some disadvantages for a time.

Therefore this spell is just the gateway spell to expose the sins, and there could be a branch of spells that can manipulate and shape that sin for other purposes. Like spells that relieve it, make it worse, lessen it for a time, drain it off into an object, give the sins form so others can see them, etc.
Lameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:31 PM   #4
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lameth View Post
Refplace you are a genius that gives me an idea.

Therefore this spell is just the gateway spell to expose the sins, and there could be a branch of spells that can manipulate and shape that sin for other purposes. Like spells that relieve it, make it worse, lessen it for a time, drain it off into an object, give the sins form so others can see them, etc.
I'm no genius but thank you :) Most of my best ideas just result from looking at something a bit differently, which means they work for some but not everyone. But it sounds like it sponsered a good idea for you.
Sin Eaters are an interesting concept and I built some abilities for a variation on powers based shaman (so no help with RPM) which will hopefully see the light of day one day.
But a Path (or just branch of Spirit or Mind) or perhaps Book for RPM? Sounds like you have an interesting idea.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:17 AM   #5
The Colonel

The effect on things like callous would be important for flavour: in some models of the universe, it may be impossible to force genuine remorse and a person with high levels of callous or enough fanaticism to justify their crimes to themselves might well be unaffected (or at least have a substantial bonus to their fright check) whilst a person who is lying to themselves, or simply blind to the negative consequences of their acts might be thoroughly harrowed.

Thematically this might make a good "touched by an angel" effect … possibly with a savage follow-up of fire damage for those who resist the remorse effect.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:28 AM   #6
Anaraxes

Just for another option on possible effects:

The recent edition of Pathfinder (2e) has three flavors of "Champion" (paladin, though they use that word for one of the flavors). The Redeemer has an ability called Glimpse of Redemption with fluff text that reads "your foe hesitates as visions of redemption play in their mind's eye". The ability is triggered by an attack on an ally; mechanically, the enemy chooses whether to be remorseful and discard the attack, or carry out the attack anyway, in which case the ally gets a fair chunk of DR against that attack and the attacker becomes "Enfeebled" (ST penalty) or "Stupified" (IQ penalty).

As usual with GURPS, the first question isn't "how do I build it?" but rather "what exactly is the 'it' that I want to build?" There are many great effects you could justify with the concept. Choosing the effect you want is the hard part. (In fact, you might even want an AA group of several remorse abilities already mentioned or other, just for flexibility and fun in the results.)
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:35 AM   #7
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Hello

I am thinking of a spell that when cast on another forces them to see the sins and horrors they have committed, and be stunned by them for a time. Basically I see it as almost a cleric or paladins attack spell. By invoking "Know they Weight" the target, most times a very bad person, will "feel" the full weight of the pain and horror they have caused others and will be stunned, and/or remorseful for a few turns. This may lead the person to simply shake it off, and continue the fight or his sins, or it may cause the person to take a new look at their life, and maybe correct issues.

The issue is I have no idea how to write it up. It could simply be a Affliction of stunning, sure, but what else? Maybe the spell gives "Empathy" for a duration, or maybe it negates the persons worse disadvantages by paying for that as a alternate trait. Therefore if the person has a 15 point callous, and 15 bloodlust, the spell would cost 30 SP to by those disadvantages off for a time.

or is this spell to high concept to be created? or can you all see a better way to construct a spell that is in the same spirit of this idea?

ideas?
Negate all "Bad Person" disadvantages, e.g. Bad Temper, Callous, Sadism etc. Afflict Guilt Complex [-5] Sense of Duty: Every Living Being [-20]

EDIT:

Negate:
Bad Temper (N/A) [-25]
Berserk: 6 or less (Battle Rage +50%) [-30]
Bloodlust (N/A) [-25]
Bully (N/A) [-25]
Callous [-5]
Fanaticism [-15]?
Greed (N/A) [-37]
Intolerance [-10]
Jealousy [-10]
Miserliness (N/A) [-25]
Paranoia (N/A) [-25]
Sadism (N/A) [-37]
Selfish (N/A) [-12]
Stubborness [-5]

Afflict:
Charitable (N/A) [-37]
Compulsive Generosity (N/A) [-12]
Guilt Complex [-5]
Pacifism: Total Non-violence [-30]
Selfless (N/A) [-12]
Sense of Duty: Every Living Being [-20]
Truthfulness (N/A) [-12]

Last edited by NineDaysDead; 06-04-2020 at 08:54 AM.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 05:38 AM   #8
Pursuivant

Quote:
I am thinking of a spell that when cast on another forces them to see the sins and horrors they have committed, and be stunned by them for a time.
Treat it as a variant of Madness or Permanent Madness, possibly with elements of Terror.

The disadvantages bestowed are difference, but in terms of game mechanics it's very similar.

In the old GURPS 3E version of Discworld RPG there was a similar spell which made people carefully reconsider their misconduct, but with the drawback that it had no effect on the truly psychopathic.

As a first pass:

Remorse Regular; Special Resistance

Remorse forces the wicked to be temporarily overcome with grief and guilt over their sins.

The subject must be a sapient entity which has the inherent capacity to determine right from wrong. This means that the spell doesn't work on animals or creatures so corrupt, evil, or insane that they lack the capacity for remorse or divine redemption.

The subject must roll vs. Will to resist, but with a modifier based on their degree of evilness. For every -5 points in "good" disadvantages (e.g., Code of Honor, Pacifism, Sense of Duty), the subject gets a +2 bonus. For every -5 points in antisocial disadvantage (e.g., Greed, Sadism) the subject suffers a -1 penalty.

Failure to resist means that the subject is Mentally Stunned for seconds equal to their margin of failure. Additionally, they temporarily exchange any antisocial disadvantages they might have on a one-to-one basis for one or more of Charitable, Chronic Depression, Compulsive Behavior (Generosity), Guilt Complex, Honesty, Obsession, Pacifism, Sense of Duty, Truthfulness, or Vow. The combination of disadvantages lost and gained is up to the GM, although the caster's player is welcome of make suggestions.

Finally, when the spell ends, the subject must make an unmodified Fright Check. Failure means that some or all of the exchanged disadvantages remain, as determined by the GM.

Duration: 1 minute.
Cost: 4 to cast, 3 to maintain.
Time to cast: 3 seconds.
Prerequisites: Madness, Terror.
Item: (a) Staff, wand, clothing, or jewelry. Energy cost to create: 500, (b) Any item, typically clothing or jewelry. Casts this spell on the wearer/user. Always on. Energy cost to create: 350.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote