Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-01-2020, 11:04 PM   #11
Michael Thayne

Default Re: Megalomaniac heroes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
I think being a constant support to the rest of the party who never actually appears to be pursuing that ostensible goal in particular doesn't mesh with it as a megalomaniac motivation.

Aside from the momentary excursion to which you refer, V's 'pursuit' of "complete and total arcane power" apparently simply by being an adventuring wizard is a bit like someone pursuing "wealth beyond the dreams of avarice" by going into a highly paid profession and chasing raises for 30 years. It's a practical approach and it moves in the right direction, but it's hardly megalomaniacal.
That's a fair point. V doesn't really mesh with the "You must let nothing stand between you and this goal" clause of the disad's description.
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 11:19 PM   #12
AlexanderHowl

Megalomania is really more of a disadvantage for villians, though it is not strickly forbidden for heroes (after all, there are plenty of mad scientists with megalomania, and they have been rehabilitated by comics like Girl Genius). An amusing combination is a character with Megalomania and Overconfidence (6-), as they not only ruthlessly pursue their grand goal but also overestimate their personal capabilities. An interesting subversion is a character with Charitable (6-) and Megalomania, though their grand goal would need to be humanitarian in scope (solving global hunger, reversing climate change, curing cancer, etc.).

A megalomaniac with a Sense of Duty that corresponda to their grand goal be particularly frightening villian. For example, a WW II German general might have had Megalomania (German Supremacy) and Sense of Duty (Germans), allowing them to rationalize any number of atrocities against non-Germans. Of course, such an individual would have likely led a coup against Hitler early in the war, as the genocidal policies of the Nazis would have been too inefficient. He might not have minded enslaving non-Germans, but he may have found killing them to be too wasteful, and he would have had real issues with victimizing German Jews.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 12:52 AM   #13
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
It's mostly a question of means: To really, truly inconvenience a character, Megalomania requires them to have a relatively clear path to power that they can abuse.
Not really. If you count Megalomania as a severe Delusion or Obsession plus limited elements of Overconfidence, OPH, Overconfidence, and Selfish it can get an ordinary person in trouble really fast.

Think about an ordinary middle class person who becomes aspiring cult leader or a low-level military officer or politician who believes that they are destined to become the next Alexander the Great, Chingis Khan, or Adolf Hitler.

Functionally, they'll have a -10 point Obsession (or if you want to be all GURPS 3E, Fanaticism (Self)) as they spend every waking moment attempting to accumulate power. Furthermore, because they believe that they're some sort of superman and that they're destined for greatness, they're often going to behave in an irrational, obnoxious, and selfish fashion.

They'll ignore laws and regulations because they believe that they're only bound by a higher law. They might dismiss danger or potential foes because they believe that only they have been chosen by destiny. They will start to believe their own propaganda, making them susceptible to manipulation by con artists and enemies. And, when the cops or enemy forces finally storm their lair, they're likely to commit suicide or suicide-by-cop rather than rationally planning their end game.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 01:09 AM   #14
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
But I wonder if some fictional heroes have it.
Some interpretations of the King Arthur legends have him showing signs of megalomania.

There are also certain genres of 20th century political and science fiction in which an ubermensch is chosen by Destiny and then goes on to rule the world/ galaxy/ universe after coming up with a Brilliant Idea That Nobody Else Ever Thought Of and putting in an afternoon's hard work. Those characters could easily be defined as megalomaniacs if only Fate wasn't so damned compliant about getting out of their way.

But, just because fictional heros might suffer from Megalomania doesn't mean that it's a good ideas for PCs in a GURPS campaign. Unless the GM is willing to run a campaign centered on the megalomaniac character and all the other players are willing to play along, it's a hassle.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 08:47 AM   #15
Donny Brook

A megalomaniac doesn't have to be a raving madman. He can be calculating, restrained by the reality of potential consequences for wrongdoing, and eschew acts that might impair longer term success. His goals might be coincidentally aligned with actual or perceived needs of the people around him. He may even have principles of right or wrong that make him generally prefer methods that are not ghastly until/unless he is thwarted.

Accordingly, I think it is possible for a skilled roleplayer to run a PC with megalomania in the right sorts of campaign.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 07:27 PM   #16
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
A megalomaniac with a Sense of Duty that corresponda to their grand goal be particularly frightening villian. For example, a WW II German general might have had Megalomania (German Supremacy) and Sense of Duty (Germans), allowing them to rationalize any number of atrocities against non-Germans. Of course, such an individual would have likely led a coup against Hitler early in the war, as the genocidal policies of the Nazis would have been too inefficient. He might not have minded enslaving non-Germans, but he may have found killing them to be too wasteful, and he would have had real issues with victimizing German Jews.
That depends on how narrowly your hypothetical officer defines 'Germans,' but for the definition you appear to be using, I agree. Could make for an interesting AU, especially if he has the skills and advantages necessary to pull the coup off.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 08:05 PM   #17
Inky

I was wondering who'd mention Girl Genius. I haven't read the new GURPS Girl Genius rules. If anyone here has, do they make use of Megalomania, or do they do something more detailed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
There are also certain genres of 20th century political and science fiction in which an ubermensch is chosen by Destiny and then goes on to rule the world/ galaxy/ universe after coming up with a Brilliant Idea That Nobody Else Ever Thought Of and putting in an afternoon's hard work. Those characters could easily be defined as megalomaniacs if only Fate wasn't so damned compliant about getting out of their way.
You're talking about A Prince of the Captivity, right? :-)

One example of how this can be interesting - Doctor Who. I mean, I don't think the Doctor actually does have Megalomania as he stands. The Master is just displaying wishful thinking. But you can imagine how it COULD happen, and evidently the Doctor can as well, since the accusation gets a rise out of him nearly every time. All that technology, all those brains... and all those good intentions. Remember that time the Master tried to give him a cyber-army for his birthday, just because she knew what an absolutely terrible idea that would be? The temptation is real. He doesn't, in fact, give in to it, or not any time that I can remember, but your PC might.

Thinking about that, of course, there's a better example, Gandalf (and others) faced with the possibility of using the One Ring. In his case it's more that the Ring does that to everybody (it's a good survival strategy, I suppose, for an artefact that can in fact grant huge magic power and wants people to take care of it), but the point stands, and indeed it does seem to have more effect on those who ever had any idea of ruling anything in the first place.
Quote:
"Do not tempt me! For I do not wish to become like the Dark Lord himself. Yet the way of the Ring to my heart is by pity, pity for weakness and the desire of strength to do good. Do not tempt me! I dare not take it, not even to keep it safe, unused. The wish to wield it would be too great for my strength. I shall have such need of it. Great perils lie before me."
Old 06-03-2020, 06:31 AM   #18
talonthehand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inky View Post
I was wondering who'd mention Girl Genius. I haven't read the new GURPS Girl Genius rules. If anyone here has, do they make use of Megalomania, or do they do something more detailed?
It's still in production, so who knows.
talonthehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 02:37 PM   #19
Inky

Oh, you're right. I thought it had come out last year, but when I looked up the thread what they were announcing was just that Mr and Mrs Foglio had finished their part and it was now with SJ Games being put together for publishing. Like a book that's been written and sent to the publisher but still needs to be edited and printed, I suppose.
Old 06-03-2020, 04:32 PM   #20
Michael Thayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
A megalomaniac doesn't have to be a raving madman. He can be calculating, restrained by the reality of potential consequences for wrongdoing, and eschew acts that might impair longer term success. His goals might be coincidentally aligned with actual or perceived needs of the people around him. He may even have principles of right or wrong that make him generally prefer methods that are not ghastly until/unless he is thwarted.

Accordingly, I think it is possible for a skilled roleplayer to run a PC with megalomania in the right sorts of campaign.
I feel like given the reaction penalty that applies to many (most?) people, a certain amount of raving is required. I actually wasn't sure that TV!Homelander from The Boys had Megalomania until I re-watched this scene. That sort of thing seems like a good fit for the game mechanic where the trait attracts some people and repels others.
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote