Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-03-2014, 12:57 PM   #1
tantric
Banned

Default [Banestorm] Yrth with divine magic

Y'all might know that my bugaboo with Banestorm is secular mages/non-magic priests. It occurred to me to ask is anyone has ever run the setting where priests have divine spells? I would think not fireball spells, but empowering pre-existing Church rituals, like blessings and sanctification. Perhaps, considering the local theories of disease, also Cure Disease (as they are thought to be the fault of bad spirits or evil).

NB - this is not for arguing about the plausibility of the setting, just an alternate take on it.
tantric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:00 PM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: [Banestorm] Yrth with divine magic

You could plausibly allow religious Mystics to buy appropriate powers with the Pact limitation.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:16 PM   #3
korbeau

In my actual setting, the Archangel Uriel began his purity crusade on Yrth. The Sanctity level of Yrth rise and some cleric receive power from Divine.

I use Divine Power for clerical magic.
korbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 01:13 AM   #4
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Banestorm is already one of my favorite fantasy settings because of the lack of divine magic (my main issue being that a world so settled and explored isn't very conducive to my preferred mode of play).

And if I were to change that I'd do so by using Divine Favor for some Catholic priests and Templars/Hospitalers/Michaelites while the Muslims, pagans, and miscellaneous others would get diddly. You can probably see why this wouldn't jive with the setting as presented and how it might have some cause to offend.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:12 AM   #5
tantric
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Latrans View Post
Banestorm is already one of my favorite fantasy settings because of the lack of divine magic (my main issue being that a world so settled and explored isn't very conducive to my preferred mode of play).

And if I were to change that I'd do so by using Divine Favor for some Catholic priests and Templars/Hospitalers/Michaelites while the Muslims, pagans, and miscellaneous others would get diddly. You can probably see why this wouldn't jive with the setting as presented and how it might have some cause to offend.
Okay, no. I can see the point of avoiding divine magic in a setting with RW religions, but I would empower only a very limited number of rituals, not at all like the DnD clerics. Lay to rest, bless, laying on hands healing, exorcisms, oaths, a few other things. I'd let all Abrahamic priests have these, then have pagan priests using 'secular' magic, but with some sort of boost from their religion (like Power Investiture, Pacts and Sanctified areas). Christians can believe the pagan gods are rogue angels, like Lucifer, but not full on rebels. Saints, if you allow them, can have Divine Favor. I don't think that would break Yrth.
tantric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:10 PM   #6
vierasmarius

I'd actually have a different take on it. Pagan priests and mystics might have access to Divine powers, because they have a connection to the god/s of Yrth. Christian and Muslim clerics lack such a connection, so would be stuck with secular magic. Their god doesn't have dominion in Yrth.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 06:00 PM   #7
simply Nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
I'd actually have a different take on it. Pagan priests and mystics might have access to Divine powers, because they have a connection to the god/s of Yrth. Christian and Muslim clerics lack such a connection, so would be stuck with secular magic. Their god doesn't have dominion in Yrth.
As I hold that the Christian God is orders of Cosmic magnitude above all other possible entities to worship, I would find that explanation rather offensive ;)

This is also why I wouldn't let empowered Christian clerics into settings like Ravenloft or Madlands unless the point was to topple the evils running the place and "ruin" the setting by making life there suck less.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:17 PM   #8
namada
Banned

Last edited by namada; 09-21-2014 at 12:20 AM.
namada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:29 PM   #9
simply Nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fartrader View Post
Check your personal beliefs at the door.
That's not possible.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:58 PM   #10
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Latrans View Post
That's not possible.
There are plenty of people that it is possible for. Perhaps you are not one of them, but do remember that there are a lot of people on this forum who can, and/or who don't believe as you do.

Right, rant over.

Personally, if I allowed divine magic on Yrth, I'd allow it to every faith. I'd be more inclined not to allow it at all, though.

OTOH, it could be interesting to try to do Yrth as a Divine Magic Only setting. Would really not fit the fluff, though.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote