Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-03-2020, 10:20 PM   #21
Donny Brook

Default Re: Superior Contenders [Martial Arts]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
... what else would you give the contender?
Let's solve the problem of ST and say he's in an appropriate weight class for 12 to be right for a champion.

I'd add HT+1, Will +1, FP +3, and a Schtick perk. With a skill of 22, Extra Effort maneouvers pay off pretty well.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 06:43 AM   #22
talonthehand

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The question is "Best in the world". For me, that means heavyweight. Yes, the smaller guys are skilled, and they can be more entertaining to watch (or so I'm told), but if you won't fight the big guys, are you really the best in the world?
There's still at least one example - Bob Fitzsimmons, weighed in at 12 stone (google tells me that's 168 pounds). Despite his weight, he was also the Heavyweight Champion of the World, and looks about as strong as your average farmhand.

Mind you, this was a century ago, and the sport has changed. But still, in a single night in 1893, he knocked out seven men over 19 rounds, all of them weighing more than 200 pounds.

The point to take away from this is that boxing was nuts back then. Wow.
talonthehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:14 AM   #23
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by talonthehand View Post
There's still at least one example - Bob Fitzsimmons, weighed in at 12 stone (google tells me that's 168 pounds). Despite his weight, he was also the Heavyweight Champion of the World, and looks about as strong as your average farmhand.

Mind you, this was a century ago, and the sport has changed. But still, in a single night in 1893, he knocked out seven men over 19 rounds, all of them weighing more than 200 pounds.

The point to take away from this is that boxing was nuts back then. Wow.
168lbs would make him "Light heavyweight" the class directly below "Heavyweight" so not that impossible.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:54 AM   #24
Donny Brook

Oh, Hard to Subdue would propably be useful as well.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:15 AM   #25
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
A contender with Boxing Sport-19 while get defeated soundly by a contender with Boxing Sport-24..
Only in the amateur matches with headgear and oversized gloves to which Boxing(Sport) applies. Professional boxers fight with "real" Boxing Skill.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:32 AM   #26
Imbicatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Only in the amateur matches with headgear and oversized gloves to which Boxing(Sport) applies. Professional boxers fight with "real" Boxing Skill.
If they win by KO, sure, but boxing sport matters for those that don’t end in KO or TKO for scoring points.
Imbicatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:36 AM   #27
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbicatus View Post
If they win by KO, sure, but boxing sport matters for those that don’t end in KO or TKO for scoring points.
You do not use Boxing(Sport) in professional matches at all. (Sport) is for sanctioned/organized amateur matches where "safety first!" is witten into the rules. Prioofessional boxers use full Boxing skill even to score points.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:52 AM   #28
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:

Where are you getting this? I don't think professional boxing is a no-holds barred eye-gouging lawless fight without refs.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:24 AM   #29
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Where are you getting this? I don't think professional boxing is a no-holds barred eye-gouging lawless fight without refs.
Gurps Martial Arts p.153, first paragraph at the top of the page. It lists only amateur or exhibition matches or tournaments as appropriate for Boxing Sport.

Rules do not mean Sport. Muay Thai has rules but isn't conducted with Karate Sport. Sumo Sport doesn't even exist.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:28 AM   #30
WingedKagouti

Quote:
You do not use Boxing(Sport) in professional matches at all. (Sport) is for sanctioned/organized amateur matches where "safety first!" is witten into the rules. Prioofessional boxers use full Boxing skill even to score points.
Boxing (Combat), ie. Boxing that isn't Art or Sport, does not have any distinction between legal and illegal strikes, nor does it care about scoring a certain amount of points.

Those concepts are squarely within the realm of Boxing (Sport) and they're a large part of the reason Boxing (Sport) gets a -3 to the default to Boxing (Combat). Boxing (Sport) is probably the most physical Combat Sport skill, but it is still a Sport skill at the professional level.
WingedKagouti is offline   Reply With Quote