Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-26-2021, 12:21 PM   #51
Inky

Default Re: Bang Skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
So, for example, in a war campaign, you could have, not Soldier, but Soldier!.
How would Soldier! differ from Soldier in play? Soldier is already rather like a wildcard skill.
Old 07-26-2021, 12:27 PM   #52
Anders

Soldier is more a Professional Skill. Soldier allows you to do tasks related to soldiering provided you have a +4 bonus. Soldier! would let you do anything regardless of what modifiers you have.
Old 07-26-2021, 12:50 PM   #53
weby

In my 400+ session fantasy campaign, I deliberately started without bang skills and first introduced a personal bang skill to each character and then allowed them to start learning other bang skills. Basically the ability to have bang skills was part of the progression from beginner to something powerful.

In next such campaign I would likely allow bang skills from start, but allow the extra options like free points for buying success as advancement. That is because for quite many campaigns the Gurps skill list is just to fine graded.
Old 07-27-2021, 12:13 AM   #54
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
In my 400+ session fantasy campaign, I deliberately started without bang skills and first introduced a personal bang skill to each character and then allowed them to start learning other bang skills. Basically the ability to have bang skills was part of the progression from beginner to something powerful.

In next such campaign I would likely allow bang skills from start, but allow the extra options like free points for buying success as advancement. That is because for quite many campaigns the Gurps skill list is just to fine graded.
I like this as it is similar to how Classic handled Science!
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 11:15 PM   #55
Infornific

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inky View Post
How would Soldier! differ from Soldier in play? Soldier is already rather like a wildcard skill.
If you look up the description of Soldier, it's primarily a battlefield survival skill. It also covers odds and ends like how to strip a rifle but the focus is mostly on knowing what to do in a battle and how not to get killed. All Quiet on the Western Front has some good fictional examples of Soldier skill. There's already an official wildcard skill called Ten-Hut! which is basically Soldier!. It covers pretty much all military skills other than actual weapon skills.

Professional skills are kind of like wildcard skills except that instead of covering multiple skills they cover bits and piece of knowledge you'd expect someone in a given job to know but without any one piece being a full skill. The true wildcard skill covers all relevant skills.
Infornific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 07:51 PM   #56
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
Confirmed it in my Third Edition of Swashbucklers, where it is referred to as The Sword!
Ah. I looked at it. Blade!, Swashbuckler!, or Sword! are far better even if you don't throw in all the wildcard options.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bang skills, kromm explanation, power-ups 7, wildcard skills