Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 01-24-2021, 05:35 PM   #11
Rasputin

Default Re: What's next for the DFRPG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Greengoat View Post
Oh, I can answer that. I haven't seen the Dungeon Fantasy on the Cheap article
And now you can see it.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 06:50 PM   #12
tbone

My big wish list for future GURPS titles is here, with a DFRPG section about 2/3 down the page. I just updated it with the book I would welcome most: a DFRPG take on DF's great Henchmen book, with the same focus on 125-point and 62-point builds.

Some of the content is perfect for DFRPG; some parts could be left out. In place of the latter, the huge draw for me would be ready-made characters, as instant hirelings, Townies, baddies, and, of course, junior delvers.

Other than that, I'd welcome books on Town and wilderness adventures . . . new dungeons/encounters . . . all kinds of stuff. But that henchmen/junior delver book is really appealing.

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 10:05 PM   #13
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
But that henchmen/junior delver book is really appealing.
In another thread a few months ago, I posted this suggestion, which is what I had on my brain during my morning walk:

Dungeon Fantasy: First Level. 48 pages. A book for low-point adventuring. Since this requires the DFRPG boxed set, this prevents possible cannibalization of sales of The Fantasy Trip (though I don't think this is an issue anyways). Templates would present fewer choices for customization for faster character creation, plus an equipment loadout. I see about 22-24 pages worth of 125- or 150-point templates to mimic each DFRPG professional template, possibly with race-as-class templates if there's enough room; 2 pages of about 15 low-powered traps; 2 pages of additional magic items; 8 pages of monsters with one monster to a page (and artwork accompanying); 4-6 pages of monsters (about two to a page, so 8-10) that don't need artwork (stuff like giant centipedes and wolves); the rest dedicated to GM advice for this point level as well as the index and title page.

Part of my reasoning was to try to get some basic monsters into the system that don't need much artwork (the big hangup of monster books). A bother of mine is that we're still constantly rolling our own monsters that are just common to almost every other FRPG and we use in Dungeon Fantasy. Having those monsters and some other things like basic traps pre-done lets the system have a common language and have published adventures with fewer statblocks. The ability in D&D to just say a monster is "iron golem (hp 60)" is handy and makes for more concise adventures. Same would also be true of doing the same for a crossbow trap. Some more recent products are starting to reach this level; Cold Shard Mountain springs to mind.

The character creation section would best be simple with only a few choices, especially of equipment. There's something to be said for OSR rules sets where you can make a character in a few minutes and just start playing. Much of the beauty of having GURPS under the hood is that someone who wants to go the extra mile can easily flip those switches back on and substitute items based on that.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 10:47 PM   #14
DreadDomain

I would like to see:

1) The adaptation of the Henchmen book. I actually would like to see cultural/background lenses (+25pts), jobs (62pts), roles (125pts) plus archetype lenses (+125pts). A combination like this enables us the create lower-level delvers but also NPCs.

2) A book focusing on organization and the social aspects of the game describing guilds and or cults with their motivations and major NPCs, etc.). It would include new social lenses for delvers and adventure seeds and a scenario.

3) Tying up with the above, a book focusing on a town including said town/city description (with maps), npc, hirelings, adventure seeds and a scenario.

4) A book focusing on wilderness adventures. This would include, a wilderness area sandbox (with maps), npc, local beasts/monsters, encounter tables and a scenario.

5) A book focusing on a detailed dungeon. This would include, the dungeon (with maps), treasures, traps, npc (allies, rivals and denizens) and monsters. Actually, I should have said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David L Pulver View Post
I'd also like a ready to use multi-level starter dungeon, of at least 3-4 levels, but with room for a sequel product that adds more, designed for extended campaign play with the first level organized for starting characters and higher levels progressively more difficult, large enough to permit multiple factions, but disorganized enough that each room or complex of 1-3 rooms is independent to prevent parties being overwhelmed, its background logically supporting such diversity, and its multiple entrances, exits, extra planar gates, and transit points to other underworlds, underwater rivers, or whatever, permitting easy justification for the dungeon to "restock" itself, with guidelines to the GM on doing so. No complex metaplot or anything, but a history that supports this and inspires the GM to create replacement content. I'd also like to see more emphasis on interesting NPCs in dungeons to talk to.
DreadDomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 11:01 PM   #15
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadDomain View Post
I would like to see:

1) The adaptation of the Henchmen book. I actually would like to see cultural/background lenses (+25pts), jobs (62pts), roles (125pts) plus archetype lenses (+125pts). A combination like this enables us the create lower-level delvers but also NPCs.

2) A book focusing on organization and the social aspects of the game describing guilds and or cults with their motivations and major NPCs, etc.). It would include new social lenses for delvers and adventure seeds and a scenario.

3) Tying up with the above, a book focusing on a town including said town/city description (with maps), npc, hirelings, adventure seeds and a scenario.

4) A book focusing on wilderness adventures. This would include, a wilderness area sandbox (with maps), npc, local beasts/monsters, encounter tables and a scenario.

5) A book focusing on a detailed dungeon. This would include, the dungeon (with maps), treasures, traps, npc (allies, rivals and denizens) and monsters.
There are a few DF books of interest here:
DF 16 Wilderness adventures - not what you were looking for but a lot of good stuff
Dungeon Fantasy Setting Caverntown

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 12:44 AM   #16
Johnny Angel

I'll echo what others have said: I would like a version of Dungeon Fantasy which is geared toward a lower point total.

I'm aware of DF on the cheap and the henchman book, but I feel as though that only addresses the player-facing aspects of the game. From a worldbuilding, monster/NPC, and GM perspective, I think there are a lot of things to consider to scale everything down.

I highly enjoy DFRPG.

At the same time, I feel as though there are playstyle differences between DFRPG's structure and assumptions versus the reasons I originally picked up GURPS.

If there were some version of DF which went in more of an OSR-inspired, sword & sorcery, and etc direction, I would buy that.
Johnny Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 01:11 PM   #17
lordabdul

I haven't played DF yet but I did buy a bunch of PDFs, along with the DF boxed set, just because I like supporting SJG. I don't intend to play a DF campaign, but I do intend to play some DF one-shots. My gaming groups often play one-shots between longer campaign arcs, to change things a bit before diving back, or when there's some player(s) missing... this is generally my opportunity for playing stuff we wouldn't play otherwise. Alien RPG, OSR dungeons, Call of Cthulhu one-shots, those are all great to have a bit of different fun for an evening. I'd love to see some collection of one-session dungeons or adventures for DF. Especially since it would be a great opportunity to introduce GURPS to people who don't know it yet.
lordabdul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 05:14 PM   #18
David Johansen

ooh...Wilderness adventures! That would be cool!
David Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 05:27 PM   #19
InexplicableVic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordabdul View Post
I'd love to see some collection of one-session dungeons or adventures for DF. Especially since it would be a great opportunity to introduce GURPS to people who don't know it yet.
I second this. Some short, focused one-shots collected in a book would be great. I'm thinking of Grave of the Pirate Queen by David Pulver in one of the Pyramid issues. That is a great, fun adventure. Would people buy a PDF for $10 or $20 that had multiple adventures like that? I think they would, and it would be good for growing the game.
InexplicableVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 05:31 PM   #20
Infornific

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoDino1973 View Post
Hello. I'm new to GURPS and the forums. I'd like to see support for lower point heroes. Guidance on creating low point characters, adventures, monsters, magic items, etc. The default in DFRPG is too high for me (300 pts with 50 pts in disadvantages = 250 total) and creates powerful characters that can breeze through most challenges. That's not fun and the reason I haven't played Dungeon Fantasy. For me, the fun is developing a novice adventurer to get to a higher power level.
Pyramid #3/113 has an article called "Five Easy Pieces" about building customized DFRPG characters with 5 50 point blocks. That could easily be reduced to 2 or 3 pieces to create 100 or 150 point characters. Since each piece has no more than -10 in Disadvantages, you could even do a 75 point campaign with two pieces. The downside is that the pieces are pretty free form (e.g., put 20 points in the following skills...)
Infornific is offline   Reply With Quote