Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 03-25-2018, 06:36 PM   #1
Hrothgar Rannúlfr

Default Adding a Template to a Character

In D&D, the concept of multi-classed and/or dual-classed characters has been around for a long time.

In the Conan stories, Conan seems (to me, at least) to change professions from time to time (thief, pirate, soldier, etc...).

Do any of you allow characters to add additional professional templates that they may draw from?
Hrothgar Rannúlfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 07:18 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Adding a Template to a Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrothgar Rannúlfr View Post

Do any of you allow characters to add additional professional templates that they may draw from?
Thats more a GURPS thing than a DFRPG thing but sure.
The DF series has lenses for multiclassing and I dont adhere rigidly to templates anyhow.
Templates are there to make character creation faster by organizing and narrowing choices and to provide niche protection.
They also help someone build a class type without overlooking vital skills fr that type.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 12:57 AM   #3
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
The DF series has lenses for multiclassing and I dont adhere rigidly to templates anyhow.
Specifically if this is all you're interested in then DF 3 The Next Level has an entire section on mixing profession for DF.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 09:12 AM   #4
Stormcrow

If you're talking about a character built from one template deciding to change careers, or just career focus, then you can simply require that from now on the character choose traits from the new template.

For instance, if you've got a swashbuckler who wants to become a thief, start spending your earned character points on traits from the thief template, probably starting with the primary skills.

Only with the game master's permission, of course.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 09:35 AM   #5
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

My view of the best way to handle this idea in spirit: "Give up" your current template; you keep and can continue to use any abilities you already have, but you lose future access to its special traits and Exceptional Abilities (Exploits, p. 93). Choose a new template. Start spending all your earned points on the mandatory traits of that new template – not lists of "X points chosen from among" or "N of these" options, but minimum attribute and secondary characteristic levels, fixed advantages, and skills other than the very last list of options. Once you meet these standards, you're considered to be a member of the new profession and have access to its special traits and exceptional abilities.

For instance, to become a martial artist, a knight would have to raise DX from 14 to 16, Will from 10 to 11, Basic Speed from 6.00 to 7.00, and Basic Move from 6 to 8; buy Chi Talent 2 and Trained by a Master; and add Acrobatics-15, Judo-15, Jumping-16, Karate-15, Meditation-10, and Stealth-15. The GM would most likely let the knight's existing weapon skills cover those needs. The knight would also have swap -10 points of existing disadvantages for Disciplines of Faith (Chi Rituals). Once all that was done, the former knight could start buying Chi abilities and chi skills, and would replace the options "HP up to 1.5×ST (round up). Can add or improve melee weapon skills whenever they have enough points – even mid-battle!" with "Up to Chi Talent 6, Enhanced Dodge 3, and Extra Attack 2; any amount of Wild Talent; and new Chi abilities."
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 09:45 AM   #6
ArchonShiva

Oh, pretty much OD&D dual-classing, then!
Old 03-26-2018, 01:35 PM   #7
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
My view of the best way to handle this idea in spirit:
Bleh. I hated 1e D&D. (and all D&D in general)

My take: Once they purchased themselves up such that they have all stat minimums, advantages, and skills from the new Template at base* (paying Training Expenses for off-Template skills and advantages), then they can operate as though they were both Templates for Power Ups.

* By which I mean they have what it takes to be a 'starting' example of that Profession.

Quote:
Once all that was done, the former knight could start buying Chi abilities and chi skills, and would replace the options "HP up to 1.5×ST (round up). Can add or improve melee weapon skills whenever they have enough points – even mid-battle!" with "Up to Chi Talent 6, Enhanced Dodge 3, and Extra Attack 2; any amount of Wild Talent; and new Chi abilities."
What happens if said Knight has HP at 1.5×ST already?

These questions are why I just let them be both (or all) the Templates once they buy up to Template base.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 01:40 PM   #8
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
What happens if said Knight has HP at 1.5×ST already?
He started off by stating you could keep existing purchased template features, I don't see why this would make your HP fall off or something. You just couldn't keep advancing HP.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 01:48 PM   #9
ArchonShiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
My take: Once they purchased themselves up such that they have all stat minimums, advantages, and skills from the new Template at base* (paying Training Expenses for off-Template skills and advantages), then they can operate as though they were both Templates for Power Ups.
The entire idea of taking a new template is to access those abilities you *can’t* buy otherwise, such as Heroic Archer.

Last edited by ArchonShiva; 03-26-2018 at 01:53 PM.
ArchonShiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 03:43 PM   #10
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

It's up to the GM, who can permit anybody to take anything. My feeling is that it's kind of unfair to let somebody just pick and choose from two sets of special traits, and exploit two sets of exceptional limits on their abilities. But that's just me!
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote