Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 12-25-2017, 03:25 PM   #21
Bruno

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy Companion PDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radagan View Post
I end up buying it all eventually.
Thank you True Believer, but you aren't the average consumer of GURPS (or much of anything else). Completionists are the exception, not the norm. We are the few, the proud, the intensely nerdy. Particularly with a new product which isn't GURPS - DFRPG has only existed for a few months remember. It's a very big ask to expect people newly interested to be fanatical enough to throw all their money at everything available for it immediately.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 07:53 PM   #22
Radagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Thank you True Believer, but you aren't the average consumer of GURPS (or much of anything else). Completionists are the exception, not the norm. We are the few, the proud, the intensely nerdy. Particularly with a new product which isn't GURPS - DFRPG has only existed for a few months remember. It's a very big ask to expect people newly interested to be fanatical enough to throw all their money at everything available for it immediately.
Actually, I'm hardly a "completionist" or True Believer--I'd be offended, but it's Christmas. I can also see how my last post might have come across that way. I check back on GURPS once or twice a year and see what has come out for it. I admire the system and, as a fiction writer I find it very useful as a plot and character shorthand. It would also be fun to play, but I have a very hard time finding anyone willing to give it a try. When I say I "buy everything" that isn't exactly a big financial investment for someone, unless they are new to the system, in which it would probably be overwhelming. A year's releases of GURPS is probably under $100, adding another $50 to pick-up the Pyramids might you want. You can easily spend that on Pathfinder or D&D in a single adventure arc. I don't, but you could, and I know plenty of nerds that do. ;^)

A pdf has no inventory or cost of sale: it's just data. It doesn't get old or outdated--except by version, which the company is in control of. I'm not aware of any marketing effort for GURPS, so sales I assume are mostly organic, word of mouth, cross-product inserts, etc. So, I would argue that sale of a pdf has less to do with when it's released, than if the person want's it--even more so for a new player with so many options to choose from. If I want to play Action, I would shop for those, and could care less when it was published.

I had thought that I would try to get some friends that like D&D 5th to try DFRPG, but I'm finding the level of prep is still very GURPS-like despite a concerted effort by SJGames to make it otherwise. And if DFRPG isn't meant to be a D&D alternative, I guess I missed the point of it. I honestly thought that DFRPG was distancing itself from GURPS Dungeon Fantasy for that reason--less GURPS toolkit, more "grab it and game!"

It sounds like these upcoming pdfs aren't what I'm expecting anyway, sometimes, it's best to just play the game people want. Maybe DFRPG wasn't meant to compete with D&D, but I wanted it to. I believe that it could make an even better game, given a similar style and breadth of supporting content. Heck, even a GURPS bestiary of the d20 monsters and spells would be a solid start. I know some of that is scattered about online, but it's of variable quality, etc.
Radagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:23 AM   #23
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

There's no need to worry. We will definitely release the three stretch-goal PDFs: Dungeon Fantasy: Against the Rat-Men, Dungeon Fantasy Traps, and Dungeon Fantasy Magic Items. The Dungeon Fantasy Companion simply isn't configured properly for PDF release at this time. If sales of the core game, its GM screen, and those three supplementary PDFs are strong, however, I'm sure we'll revisit that matter.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:01 AM   #24
DarkPumpkin

I recall that a fourth pdf supplement for Dungeon Fantasy RPG was included as a stretch goal in the Kickstarter, but it didn't fund. Can someone remind me what that was going to be?
DarkPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:43 AM   #25
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPumpkin View Post
I recall that a fourth pdf supplement for Dungeon Fantasy RPG was included as a stretch goal in the Kickstarter, but it didn't fund. Can someone remind me what that was going to be?
From the Kickstarter page: "A fourth new, as-yet-unwritten Dungeon Fantasy PDF..."

No title or subject given. So I don't know what it would have been, but maybe it was discussed/revealed on the forums at some point. Anyone?

Edit to add this:

Hey, an interesting thing about the Kickstarter pledges: The highest level ($1986), which had two backers, promises "Additionally, our artist, working from your photo, will include you in one of the interior illustrations, and your name will appear in the credits. We'll work with you on your place in the box."

So, am I to understand that somewhere in a book in the box, two backers are depicted in artwork? If so, where? Or is that not up to SJG to reveal?

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)

Last edited by tbone; 07-11-2018 at 02:51 AM.
tbone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:52 AM   #26
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPumpkin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
From the Kickstarter page: "A fourth new, as-yet-unwritten Dungeon Fantasy PDF..."

No title or subject given. So I don't know what it would have been, but maybe it was discussed/revealed on the forums at some point. Anyone?
Update #33 mentions three possible PDFs:
Magic Items
Traps
Dungeons 3

This was put up after the first PDF was unlocked, which was Dungeons 2: Against the Ratmen. Since we got Magic Items and Traps it seems likely that an unnamed adventure for Dungeons 3 was planned as the fourth PDF. Since it wasn't unlocked I don't think anything beyond that was ever mentioned.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:17 AM   #27
Rasputin

I remember the comment polling well for this. The winning option was Town Adventures. It beat out Power-Ups, 50-20, and even had a notable designer for Some Other Game voting for it, which means its influence could be much wider than its sales.

My GURPS blog.

Last edited by Rasputin; 07-11-2018 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Added the vote totals
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:35 AM   #28
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post

Hey, an interesting thing about the Kickstarter pledges: The highest level ($1986), which had two backers, promises "Additionally, our artist, working from your photo, will include you in one of the interior illustrations, and your name will appear in the credits. We'll work with you on your place in the box."

So, am I to understand that somewhere in a book in the box, two backers are depicted in artwork? If so, where? Or is that not up to SJG to reveal?
Turn to p. 1 (the title page) of Dungeon Fantasy Adventurers. There you will see this credit:
Special thanks to Kickstarter backers JOHNNY DIBERT and ANDRE TROCHE for providing likenesses of themselves for the illustrations on p. 12 and p. 21, respectively!
Old 07-11-2018, 01:20 PM   #29
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
The winning option was Town Adventures.
So does this mean that Kromm giving us Cavern Town was his way of fulfilling this poll despite the Kickstarter not being backed? ;)
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:53 PM   #30
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post

So does this mean that Kromm giving us Cavern Town was his way of fulfilling this poll despite the Kickstarter not being backed? ;)
Kind of. I've been wanting to create at least one official town for Dungeon Fantasy – with or without "GURPS" in front – for ages. I found the opening to do so just recently, but the fully formed supplement didn't just spring into my head overnight . . . the possibility of supporting the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game with something like this was the creative seed.