Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-31-2019, 10:49 AM   #61
Luke Bunyip

Default Re: [GAME] After the End, Worldbuilding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Bunyip View Post
Comment: It has occurred to me, that as a setting, a group of PCs could be inhabitants of orbital habitats, Luna, Mars, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
Unless it is lost...<Snip> ...certain critical parts need industry and supply chains that don't exist anymore.
Comment: My suggestion above was predicated by a question I've been asking myself whilst watching this thread develop, namely "Could I run a game here?", not to mention the metaquestion, "Would it be fun?"
Having an existing industrial base off-planet would suit a setting where the raison d'être for the campaign was getting both down and up out of the Earth's gravity well.

Having said that, if that is not the case, as far as I can envisage, the only real starting points for a campaign are for the PCs to be either members of an NEO+ habitat, trying to carve out a niche back down on Earth, or as members of a community on Earth attempting to deal with a bunch of freeloaders dropping out of orbit. And, as per cannon (see upthread), there's already a Dr Dolittlesque take on Planet of the Apes to contend with (Aka "The Uplifted"), regardless of whether or not the old folks tales about the mythical boogie man, the "AI", are actually based on fact. IMHO, this place is rather busy.

But then, as the expression goes... YMMV.
Old 01-01-2020, 10:03 AM   #62
Daigoro

Default Re: [GAME] After the End, Worldbuilding

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
Unless it is lost. The existing habitats can go on for a while on things that last a long time and spares but certain critical parts need industry and supply chains that don't exist anymore. So the populace as a whole might not know or refuses to believe but they need to rebuild that base desperately. Things like the main engines on the ships that mine comets and asteroids for replacement air and water because some does leak from a hab. You are fine for years but N thousand hours of thrust and they'll need replacement and you can't build them.
Theoretically space stations could have perfect recycling, but even then the main consumable resource is going to be propellent fuel for getting around. This setting doesn't seem like it'd have any kind of reactionless drives, so they'd need tons of rocket fuel to get anywhere.

SpaceX is using metholox because it can possibly be processed out of the atmosphere on Mars, but there seems to be only trace amounts of carbon on the Moon. Therefore, Earth and Mars would be the main sources, and possibly C-type asteroids, out in the Asteroid Belt, if they're accessible.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ate, game, worldbuilding