Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-01-2011, 10:09 AM   #81
dgrm4

Default Re: Gurps Vehicles

It is so cool to have a forum like this where the authors participate and communicate with the readers. Awesome!
dgrm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:18 PM   #82
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by David L Pulver View Post
Ah, such would be nice. It's all based on royalties though, so ultimately the customers get to pay me. If it sells 1,000 copies, I'll be happy... (As usual, the book will be e23 release, and then if it does really well, there's some chance of a print book, computer support, etc.).
There's some guy around here that posted that "Money was no object" for him in regards to your work. Perhaps you should see if he'd patronize you. :)
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:55 PM   #83
David Johansen

Early in the new year eh. Guess I'll have to call the ops team and tell them "Project Misery" is off then. Damn it! Between this and the shake up at ICE I won't have any paying work for them for a few weeks.

:D
David Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:27 PM   #84
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgellis View Post
This is wonderful news. I've been looking forward to this book for a while.

I don't know if you're aware of this, but I've been publishing a bunch of 4e GURPS Vehicles in JTAS which are basically real world vehicles (mostly from World War II and the Cold War)
Mark
Cool. I remember reading on the forum that you were working on that.

I don't have a current JTAS subscription - otherwise I'd take a look!
Old 01-01-2011, 06:33 PM   #85
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Pre-steampunk, actually. There are historical studies of the art of designing algorithms to be executed by large groups of (human) computers working in parallel; see for example the work of de Prony during the French Revolution, as documented in Grier's When Computers Were Human. And there were people earlier than de Prony, though not working on so large a scale.

Bill Stoddard
Cool. I'd heard "computer" used to refer to people in the early 20th century, but didn't know it went that far back. Has interesting story potential (which I'm sure someone has probably already exploited).

By the way, how did you derive the Reload numbers for mechanical artillery in LOW TECH? I can't figure out what formula gives them, unless they're all from real examples.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:00 AM   #86
Pomphis

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkir View Post
Oh, I got that too. But after purchasing the second printed copy... Sometimes having three copies open can be helpful.
Absolutely. Plus having copies both at home and in the office. One never knows when will have to look something up. Though by now I also have it on my notebook, which means that I no longer have to carry it when travelling.
Pomphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:28 PM   #87
Mgellis

Quote:

I don't have a current JTAS subscription - otherwise I'd take a look!
For shame! Actually, they should just give you one so you can research things, seeing how many vehicles for GURPS get published in JTAS for GURPS Traveller. I know because I'm responsible for a lot of them. :)

(And, like Nixon, I take full responsibility for these articles. But not the blame.)

Right now, I'm working on an article that will include generic/Traveller versions of British aircraft from the Cold War...the Electric Lightning, the Javelin (what a cool-looking aircraft!), the Nimrod (a mighty hunter indeed!), the Buccaneer, the Comet (I believe this was the first jet passenger liner), and more! :) If it gets published, it will probably come out sometime in February or March.

Why, yes, I am trying to get people interested in subscribing to (and maybe even writing for) JTAS. Why do you ask? :)

Mark
Mgellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:23 PM   #88
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgellis View Post
For shame! Actually, they should just give you one so you can research things, seeing how many vehicles for GURPS get published in JTAS for GURPS Traveller. I know because I'm responsible for a lot of them. :)

(And, like Nixon, I take full responsibility for these articles. But not the blame.)

Right now, I'm working on an article that will include generic/Traveller versions of British aircraft from the Cold War...the Electric Lightning, the Javelin (what a cool-looking aircraft!), the Nimrod (a mighty hunter indeed!), the Buccaneer, the Comet (I believe this was the first jet passenger liner), and more! :) If it gets published, it will probably come out sometime in February or March.

Why, yes, I am trying to get people interested in subscribing to (and maybe even writing for) JTAS. Why do you ask? :)

Mark
Good luck with the future articles. Have you tried the Air Vectors site? http://www.vectorsite.net/indexav.html Lots of good, well-sourced data on British systems. I also recommend Bill Gunston's Bombers of the West (if you can find it) for interesting stuff on the British aircraft industry in the 70s.

I'm very fond of the old British aircraft from the 70s. The Vulcan bomber is a beautiful machine (saw one flying once as a kid) and Buccaneer and Lightning, while kind of ugly, have a weird made-to-work functionality to them (much like the A-10) and were potent machines in their day. TSR 2 was a great might-have-been machine that if built would probably have served well into the 80s (and which, weirdly, features in the anime Stratos 4... go figure). Comet evolved into the Nimrod - it's amazing how long the Nimrod served and if not for the latest British defense cuts new Nimrods would still be flying today...

JTAS: I used to have a subscription (and have a few articles published there) but it eventually ran out. I may get one again if I could justify the cost (by writing articles).
Old 01-06-2011, 09:15 AM   #89
MrBackman

Quote:
Good luck with the future articles. Have you tried the Air Vectors site? http://www.vectorsite.net/indexav.html Lots of good, well-sourced data on British systems. I also recommend Bill Gunston's Bombers of the West (if you can find it) for interesting stuff on the British aircraft industry in the 70s.
Thanks for the site tip, a veritable treasure trove of interesting facts. The stuff about the two views on when Yeager crashed the F104 was really interesting - I didn't know that they ever built jetplanes with attitude thrusters! Great stuff!
Old 01-06-2011, 10:09 PM   #90
Lord Carnifex

Quote:
Have you tried the Air Vectors site? http://www.vectorsite.net/indexav.html
Thanks for the link. The articles are well written and entertaining - wasted most of my spare time today reading about Cold War fighters...

"To an Irishman, a serious matter is a joke, and a joke is a serious matter."
Lord Carnifex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurps vds, vehicle design system