Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 10:48 PM   #1
Griffen25

Default Dungeon of Comprehensive Curses & Curse! Clerical Error

What happens when all 4 of you are in the Dungeon of Comprehensive Curses and somebody plays the Curse! Clerical Error card?

Does the curse only apply to one person?
Does the curse apply to all 4 people simultaneously? periodically?
Help!

Dungeon of Comprehensive Curses
Quote:
Any Curse that is drawn or played is applied to everyone in the dungeon. Any card or ability that normally protects from a Curse will still work, but it only protects the one who played it. Cards and abilities that would normally allow a player to grab a played Curse and put it in his hand can still be used for protection, but the Curse card is discarded rather then captured.
Curse! Clerical Error
Quote:
The most recent monster in the discard pile is re-animated as Undead and attacks you. If this curse is used during combat, the re-animated monster joins the monster(s).

P.S. I own Munchkin, Clerical Errors & Demented Dungeons only.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:08 PM   #2
Genpin

Default Re: Dungeon of Comprehensive Curses & Curse! Clerical Error

Hi!, since there are no rules for simultaneous combats and i dont think that they could fit in the spirit of Munchkin, the party should choose a random order to face (separately & periodically) the top monster in the discard pile

Last edited by Genpin; 06-03-2010 at 11:30 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:52 AM   #3
Palmer

I agree with Genpin, but they should face the monster in regular turn order, starting with whomever the curse was originally targetting.

This means that all four players will face the same monster (other arguments aside, you're resolving this one player at a time, and thus the monster goes back to the discards after each battle, whereupon it is re-animated again as the "top").
MIB #5799 - Vancouver, BC, Canada, Eh?
CON SCHEDULE

August 24 - 26, 2012 - Cos & Effect, Vancouver BC
Old 06-04-2010, 03:15 AM   #4
Teddy

What, then, should be the case if another monster is wandered in during one of the first combats caused by the curse? Since the order of discards is chosen by the player whose turn it is, does he then get to choose whether the next player battles the old monster or the new one?

Alternate suggestion: The curse is already declared to have been played and since the original monster was the top monster at the time of the curse hitting the table, that is the monster that will start combat against the players.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:35 AM   #5
AMOE

The curse has been played, but it doesn't target a specific monster, it targets the top monster in the discard.

If, like your example, a monster wanders in a battle, the player who's turn it is gets to decide which order to place the monsters on the discard pile.

Then, the next player to be hit by the curse (if there is one) gets the top monster.

There's also the possibility of the Gnome race to play an illusion which will add a monster to the discard.

Another option to modify which monster will be fought next would be to be a Ranger and tame the monster he's facing, that way, the NEXT monster in the discard becomes the new top monster, without having another monster be put in the discards.

Finally, playing a card such as Annihilation, to destroy the monster in battle as it pops in would be an idea to explore as well, seeing as how the NEXT monster in the discard will also become the new top, as with the example of the Ranger's ability.

I don't have any more ideas to modify which monster will be faced next.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:24 AM   #6
Genpin

@Palmer: i go with random order because players/lawyers could get sensitive about "who goes first/last and how there is no indication of order in the dungeon". With this curse, the order of the combat(s) matters for the reasons noted above.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:41 AM   #7
AMOE

While there is no indication of who should fight first, it is clear that there is a normal turn pattern, as in, Player A goes first, B second, C plays 3rd, etc.

From this clockwise (or counter-clockwise) pattern, you can come down to a mutual agreement that the first player to fight is the one targetted by the curse, because it needs a target, and from there, move in the direction normal turns go, then resume play back to whoever's turn it was when the curse was played.

It could be enforced by the owner of the game itself, or better yet, could be confirmed and accepted by the officials of the game as the outcome of such an occurance.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:05 AM   #8
Genpin

No, its not clear.
Also, the players can agree to go with the alfabetical order of their names... It all depends of the "coolness" factor of the table...
We can always ask for an official call, but it's more nice to keep it simple and logical, so you dont have to remember every little rule non-writen of every card (i'm sort of new to the forums, there is an agreement of order when no one is specified?)
Old 06-04-2010, 07:15 AM   #9
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Some interesting ideas in this thread, but until I can talk it over with Erik, Steve, and the rest of the brain trust, I'm going to decline to give an official answer.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Old 06-04-2010, 03:58 PM   #10
Munchykin

There's also an argument to be made for the curse to effect everybody at the same time and force them all into the same combat. It all depends on whether the curse is seen as effecting each person individually or all at the same time. If the curse is considered simultaneous then all the munchkins are effected by the curse, but only one top monster is. So you could consider them as all fighting the same monster, at the same time, in the same combat. The whole munchkin party vs the top monster. Bends the only on helper per combat rule a bit. Then according to the rules the active player gets the level and treasure? I dunno. Any way you slice it the rules are gonna get weird.
Closed Thread

Tags
cleric, curse, curse!, demented, dungeon