Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Old 03-02-2015, 05:48 PM   #31
Keiko
Banned

Default Re: What do you want in a Transhuman Space game (as a player)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
What I want in a Transhuman Space campaign (some of which I did get, and some of which I didn't, over the last two years):[list][*]A wide variety in the types of PCs. "A raccoon who happens to be a childrens' books writer, an Elf Kitten news anchorwoman, and a 3D-printer factory on vacation, walk into a bar . . ." (There was the latter PC; I played a Ghost/ex-Bioroid; there was a parahuman and two human PCs.)[*]Pan-Sapient Rights issues showing up in the campaign. (It almost didn't.)
Are these preferences or requirements?
Keiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 06:14 PM   #32
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Tell that about sugar to my diabetic friends.
. . . .
I'm diabetic, and I know how damn near impossible it is to find food without extraneous sugar added let alone all the natural sugars.
My own mom keeps trying to shove fruit in my face as if sugar dropping from a tree wasn't still sugar.
I also consider most American diabetics idiots for only slightly lowering their sugar intake. Of the near dozen type 2s I know personally, they all devolved into needing insulin in months to a year or two from all but ignoring their condition.

I also think it's adults' rights to do stupid self destructive things to a degree. But as we live in a society where my actions and healthcare affect you and yours, there must be limits.
But children should be given more protection from their idiocies as well as their parents'.
In THS, cancer is all but a mere inconvenience, but only if you have access to TL 10 medicine.

That is an interesting idea to imagine where the CR for children is unusually different from adults'.
From helicopter human parents to hypothetical alien kids left to their own devices and when 1/10 surviving is considered a win.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:44 PM   #33
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I also think it's adults' rights to do stupid self destructive things to a degree. But as we live in a society where my actions and healthcare affect you and yours, there must be limits.
That way lies "fat and fags," the British movement to deny most health care to smokers and the obese. Once you make everyone have to pay for the health care of other people, you get people saying, "Your bad habits are raising my taxes, so you should be put a stop to." I prefer to say, "As letting my healthcare affect you leads to a demand for limits on my freedom, I think we should all be left to pay for our own healthcare and make our own choices."

Quote:
But children should be given more protection from their idiocies as well as their parents'.
Yes, but my inclination is to have the parents mostly be the ones to make the decision as to how much more.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:25 PM   #34
Keiko
Banned

And this tangential discussion is a good example of how even when people read the same material their individual beliefs, preferences, prejudices and outlook are going to color the interpretation.
Keiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:28 PM   #35
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiko View Post
And this tangential discussion is a good example of how even when people read the same material their individual beliefs, preferences, prejudices and outlook are going to color the interpretation.
Well, yes, pretty much.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:44 PM   #36
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiko View Post
That's my favorite part of the setting. It's alien, utopian, and dystopian yet we all disagree on which feature fits in which category.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:48 PM   #37
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
That way lies "fat and fags," the British movement to deny most health care to smokers and the obese. Once you make everyone have to pay for the health care of other people, you get people saying, "Your bad habits are raising my taxes, so you should be put a stop to." I prefer to say, "As letting my healthcare affect you leads to a demand for limits on my freedom, I think we should all be left to pay for our own healthcare and make our own choices."
That comes off a bit callous. We as human beings must care for others, even if they act stupid. Letting people die on the hospital steps is rather sociopathic lacking in basic empathy and sympathy.
I'm sure we mainly disagree on exactly how much we should help others rather than if we should.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:50 PM   #38
whswhs

Quote:
That comes off a bit callous. We as human beings must care for others, even if they act stupid. Letting people die on the hospital steps is rather sociopathic lacking in basic empathy and sympathy.
I'm sure we mainly disagree on exactly how much we should help others rather than if we should.
It seems perfectly understandable to me; it's exactly like Ayn Rand's dystopian parable of the Twentieth Century Motor Company.

There are people I'm willing to help, to the extent that I can. But people who think I have an obligation to help them, or try to guilt me into doing so, or regard my help as something they're entitled to be right, without regard to whether I consent or want to help or indeed for what it costs me to help, especially if they are prepared to have me coerced into helping without my consent, are not people I want to help, nor people I think anyone should help.

Old 03-03-2015, 03:05 AM   #39
Flyndaran
Untagged

That's a bit sociopathic if you really would let someone die just because they're a bit douche-y.
I won't throw stones unless I'm damn sure they deserve it.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:08 AM   #40
whswhs

Quote:
That's a bit sociopathic if you really would let someone die just because they're a bit douche-y.
I won't throw stones unless I'm damn sure they deserve it.
I really don't think that if we have reached the point of your calling me a sociopath we can have a productive discussion.

Last edited by whswhs; 03-03-2015 at 06:18 AM.