Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-19-2012, 10:37 AM   #1
jhite

Default Cyberpunk: Cash vs. Points Implications

So, I know this question has been addressed - repeatedly - and I know that everyone has a slightly different answer as to how body mods should be bought in cyberpunk games.

My specific concern is one of consequences. What are people's takes on the different consequences of using cash, points, or both to purchase cyberware/bioware/etc?

To try to summarize what I see as the implications and raised questions of each:

Points Only:
1) Character growth is slower, since points will be divided between both "gear" and all other character developments, unless CP are awarded generously
2) What happens - or SHOULD happen - if something removes a PCs ware? For instance, if the PCs lose a combat, and the bad guys salvage their cyberlimbs rather than kill them, do the characters' point totals just plain drop? If so, is that reasonable and/or fun, in your opinions?

Cash Only:
1) Character growth has the potential to outstrip the rate of CP advancement, if characters can get their hands on the requisite cash. Fairly strong reflection of the cyberpunk genre, but has the potential for abuse, and for creating incentives to make less "punk" characters, such as a rich kid who just buys everything in the first game session. (Obviously, can be mitigated by disallowing Increased Wealth)
2) GM doesn't need to worry as much about the balance effects of stolen/damaged ware, since CP totals are fluctuating anyway.
3) Economics of body mod pricing become more sensitive, and a balance must be struck between the laws of supply and demand, and the power/utility of various mods. (This is the one that worries me most)

Points AND Cash:
1) Character advancement slowed by need to both save up points (or accept point debt) AND find the money.
2) May strain disbelief if character has one but not other, yet can't use it.
3) Seems to share economic concerns with "Cash Only."

I know I'm approaching this the long, in-depth way, but what are people's experiences, comments, and recommendations to a would-be GM new to the challenges of the genre?

Thanks!
jhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:51 AM   #2
Anthony

Default Re: Cyberpunk: Cash vs. Points Implications

The general problem for cash vs points is that being able to buy the same thing with two different currencies, where the prices don't work out as identical, distorts character building, and if there's a conversion method (e.g. Wealth), really really distorts character building.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:53 AM   #3
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

You've missed option #4: Points or cash. If you provide two ways to get cyberwear, the presence of each mitigates the problems of exclusive use of the other. Got the money? No obstacles to getting the cyberwear you'd expect to be able to get. Got the points? Ditto.

And, yes, if they lose cyberwear, their point total drops, just like it'd drop if they sustained any other permanent crippling injury.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:10 AM   #4
Edman

I'd do what I always do when it comes to actually paying points - what you've paid for, with your points, is plot-protected. If not, someone may very well steal the PCs' cyberware while they sleep if that makes sense plot-wise. However, the character who has paid points will not lose it unless he does something actively stupid and/or heroic, such as giving up his arm to pay for his niece's surgery, for instance.

- Baron von Münchausen
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:35 AM   #5
jhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
You've missed option #4: Points or cash. If you provide two ways to get cyberwear, the presence of each mitigates the problems of exclusive use of the other. Got the money? No obstacles to getting the cyberwear you'd expect to be able to get. Got the points? Ditto.
Well, you're right, I hadn't considered that. Let me specify that I'm concerned with in-game developments. Character generation will be strictly points, if only for sanity's sake.

If you allow Points OR Cash for enhancements acquired in-game, how would you, as a GM, justify the different methods of acquisition? What precisely is a character *doing* if s/he lacks the cash for a Reflex Booster implant for Enhanced Dodge +1, but puts up the required CP between sessions anyway? Would you simply assume that s/he found a way to pay for it? Would you require a temporary subplot dealing with incurred debt?

Even more problematic, what if a character DOES have the money to buy a body mod, but chooses to use only CP instead? For the sake of the narrative and the setting, what the hell just happened to allow that character to get a "free" piece of hardware, economically speaking?
jhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:45 AM   #6
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhite View Post
If you allow Points OR Cash for enhancements acquired in-game, how would you, as a GM, justify the different methods of acquisition?
Unspecified favors owed. Sudden windfalls from work they're doing off-screen. Lucky find from an evening of dumpster diving. Maturation of investments they've had put aside but didn't specify up to this point. Charitable assistance. Bank error in your favor. Really, many things bought with CP (skills characters haven't specifically been studying for, completely novel advantages) requires some sort of rationalization along those lines.

Quote:
Would you require a temporary subplot dealing with incurred debt?
Require? No. But I might throw something in if I can think of something interesting.

Quote:
Even more problematic, what if a character DOES have the money to buy a body mod, but chooses to use only CP instead?
Let them. The above rationalizations still work.

Quote:
For the sake of the narrative and the setting, what the hell just happened to allow that character to get a "free" piece of hardware, economically speaking?
They're not getting it for free. They're getting it in exchange for character points. Those points are a pure game construct, so it's up to the GM and the players to decide what, if anything, they represent beyond narrative convenience and privilege which players earn to customize their characters, but it seems to me that that's a determination which needs to be made at the time, and by its very nature more or less requires retcons.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:33 PM   #7
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

FWIW, I ran a minicampaign years ago where this came up during character creation, and then a world-jumping campaign where it arose in the course of play. My general solution was this:
  • Starting characters who want implants and modifications must use points. They can justify these however they like: stint in the army, good pay on past missions, dad was a surgeon, great wealth, working for the company that makes the stuff, whatever. If they want these background elements to matter going forward, then they should spend some points on suitable social traits – Allies, Contacts, Patrons, Rank, Reputation, Wealth, etc. – none of which grant any cybertech at the start of the campaign. The association between cyber-stuff bought with points and social traits bought with points is purely background material.

• Characters in play can obtain implants and modifications in two ways:

1. They can spend money. Yes, this means that someone could drop 50 points on Filthy Rich and get a bajillion dollars worth of stuff. However, this has a few implications:

• The money is really spent. This means less money for other gear.

• Surgery isn't instantaneous. There's a waiting list, the procedure itself takes time, and then there's recovery time. All of this is in play, which means sitting out adventures and their rewards (which might include cybertech . . . keep reading). That's the player's decision!

• Surgery and recovery can fail. All rolls are made in plain view. Failures don't mean money back unless the PC paid extra for insurance.

• Rich people who expect admission to high-end clinics have to pay cost of living for their apparent Status level (e.g., Status 4 if Filthy Rich) for at least as long as they're on the waiting list, under the knife, and recovering.

2. They can earn it. This is instead of or as well as discretionary points. In the course of their adventure, they impress someone enough to get into a testing program or special branch – whatever the adventure justifies. In this case, I waive money and cost of living, and assume that the benefactor keeps trying until the procedure works (no need for insurance). Since all the PCs get such a reward, the downtime means that nobody has to sit out anything. Players can opt out of the reward, but I don't give extra points to compensate, and when the inevitable majority who accept the reward recover, the action resumes, whatever Special Snowflake is off doing.
However the modifications are acquired, they raise point value. This is self-evident with starting points, but no less true of items bought with money or granted as rewards. Likewise, short-circuited, ripped-out, and generally messed-up implants lower point value, regardless of how they were obtained. This stuff never gets plot protection, wherever it came from.

Note as well that while cybertech always raises point value, points cannot buy cybertech in play. Or to be precise, they can't buy it at advantage prices. It's legitimate to trade points for cash, as the usual rates and with the usual excuses (lottery winnings, investments, whatever), and then use that like any other money.

All of which is a way of saying that in any kind of transhuman or posthuman setting, the notion of rigid character-point accounting and point-level parity among PCs has to go out the window. Fluidity is more realistic and truer to the source fiction. People gambling a lot of money on implants can get very powerful very quickly, but there are social ramifications (if only missed opportunities while sat in the clinic, and the need to keep up one's payments) and there's always the chance of being stuck with obsolete gear or zapped with a weapon that fries your machine parts. People who prefer to avoid that circus are giving up a quick path to power, but may well end up saving more money in the long run, and certainly won't be at the mercy of skeevy surgeons and dodgy parts.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #8
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
[*]They can earn it. This is instead of or as well as discretionary points. In the course of their adventure, they impress someone enough to get into a testing program or special branch – whatever the adventure justifies. In this case, I waive money and cost of living, and assume that the benefactor keeps trying until the procedure works (no need for insurance). Since all the PCs get such a reward, the downtime means that nobody has to sit out anything. Players can opt out of the reward, but I don't give extra points to compensate, and when the inevitable majority who accept the reward recover, the action resumes, whatever Special Snowflake is off doing.
Something I've been considering is to treat all character advancement in this way - not awarding character points at all, but instead letting players earn advantages during play. It's obvious how this could be implemented for traits like Allies, Contacts, Wealth, cyberware, gadgets, etc. It's less clear how to let players develop purely mental traits (Combat Reflexes, removing existing disadvantages, etc). Skills would of course use the normal training time rules, so this method may need more downtime between adventures than stories with primarily cp-based improvement.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:05 PM   #9
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

With skills, it has never hurt my campaigns – which rarely involve truly discretionary points – simply to say things like, "You each get 2 points to invest in existing skills used on this adventure, may move up to 2 more points from skills not used in a few adventures into ones you did use, and finally get 2 points in any new skill you could justify brushing up on during your week off." I don't enforce training times . . . well-written PCs have backgrounds, and its fairly easy for me to believe that some long-forgotten background skill could emerge after a few nights of practice to knock the rust off. Beyond that, even when I do subscribe to training times, I tend to think that they're just suggestions. I have little difficulty accepting that some DX 13, IQ 13 fantasy hero or secret agent with 150 points in skills could learn a new skill quickly.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:16 PM   #10
vierasmarius

Hmm, good point about "new" skills potentially being old ones that have been re-learned; my main issue was when characters suddenly acquired a skill in the middle of a multi-session adventure (long dungeon crawl, for instance) but in that context it could make sense.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cash, cyberpunk, design, money, points