Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-13-2019, 08:40 AM   #1501
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Gaming Ballistic - GURPS Content Posts

Draugr Adventure Seed and VikingWeddings

So, today’s Adventure seed features Draugr. Lots of them.

Obviously, these would fit into Noršlond, because draugr.

But did you know that (at least according to the Viking Answer Lady), it was expected for the groom to retrieve an ancestral sword from a barrow?
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:28 AM   #1502
Plane

This 2012 thread brought up an interesting point:
Quote:
it's funny to look a cat with a claw caught in my jeans, and its only possible strategy to free it: pulling, pulling, pulling until it rips the cloth.

It seems that cats' claws are well engineered to grapple on prey's skin, to the extent that they can free these claws only destroying the prey itself. How can this be simulated in GURPS?
This is familiar to me as I've had a lot of experience with cats getting their claws stuck in my clothing (or even skin) and they clearly don't want to maintain a grapple on me, but can't seem to figure out how to stop without inflicting harm.

Assuming that since they do cutting damage, they would work like other cutting weapons (a free carried grapple if injuring opponent, 1 CP per 2 HP lost) perhaps the solution is that weapons (since they are not technically you, but something you are holding) that grapple can not "let go" of a grapple for free like hands can?

In that case, when grappling with a weapon, if you wanted to end your own grapple (without letting go of the weapon) perhaps you should actually have to "Break Free" to reduce the CP you have applied against your opponent using that weapon?

Or, if not a rule for all weapons (it might not make sense with crushing) then just as a special rule for the free grappling effect given by cutting weapons.

This could give an explanation for why cats have trouble dislodging their paws without hurting you, by pushing instead of pulling, unless of course that was defined as some kind of mental disadvantage for them.

In the case where only 1 HP is lost (1 basic damage x 1.5 rounded down) then since it's not enough to apply even 1 CP, I would say perhaps that shouldn't initiate a grapple at all, and just be a surface cut, so there's no need to 'Break Free' from your own attack.

To simulate the "ripping my claws free without regard for further injury" idea, I think that if you make another cutting attack using a cutting weapon which is already grappling an opponent, you can opt to reverse the normal rule (subtract 1 CP per 2 HP inflicted, instead of adding more CP) making this a generally easier way to get your weapon dislodged, since there is a minimum of 1 damage for cutting attacks, but there is no minimum control points so it could result in 0 and no reduction.

Since this is a "draw cut" (I believe this is even given as an example in a rapid strike, where you stab someone with a sword and then cut sideways as you pull the blade out) I think a disadvantage should be that you must substitute thrust damage for swing damage, since you can't exactly get any lateral momentum going with a 'chop' action.

For unarmed attacks it would also mean the cat can roll against a higher Brawling skill instead of DX (since they have no grappling skill) to dislodge their claws injuriously instead of non-injuriously. This would explain why they would do this even to something they don't necessarily want to hurt.

The mindset of the CP belonging to the weapon and not the weapon's user should probably mean you can't just "spend" the CP you don't own on grappling techniques as a means of easily dislodging your claws. The "free" control points shouldn't be spendable, to get spendable CP you should have to take normal grappling attacks.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:48 PM   #1503
DouglasCole

Why Dungeon Fantasy? Why the Dungeon Fantasy RPG Boxed Set?
Old 03-14-2019, 04:58 PM   #1504
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
This could give an explanation for why cats have trouble dislodging their paws without hurting you, by pushing instead of pulling, unless of course that was defined as some kind of mental disadvantage for them.
Usually it's because they hyper-extend their arms, and then extend their claws, and then have no more to extend and get stuck.

Also, they get used to things just giving way when they claw, if you have super tough scratching posts, you'll note your cats get used to not doing this... or they just convert the "OH NOES I'M TRAPPED!" into climbing up it.

At least that's what mine do.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:51 AM   #1505
DouglasCole

Fantastic Dungeon Grappling . . . is now a DFM2 Stretch goal!

The knowledge and play experience from all of that helped me create Fantastic Dungeon Grappling, a short insert in Hall of Judgment. And now, thanks to the successful funding of the Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 2 Kickstarter, Steve Jackson Games has a new stretch goal for that campaign.

If the DFM2 Kickstarter shoots through $45,000, Steve Jackson Games has agreed to include a copy of the 8-page Fantastic Dungeon Grappling booklet in the boxed set itself.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:52 AM   #1506
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
If the DFM2 Kickstarter shoots through $45,000, Steve Jackson Games has agreed to include a copy of the 8-page Fantastic Dungeon Grappling booklet in the boxed set itself.
Is this booklet purchasable separately through you? (I have HoJ, but having it as a stand-alone would be nice - I ask as if you are offering it, I haven't noticed).
Old 03-17-2019, 11:53 AM   #1507
johndallman
Night Watchman

GURPSDay Summary March 8, 2019 – March 14, 2019

The GURPSDay summary is on Doug's page, but you have to scroll down a fair way. I missed it the first time.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:55 AM   #1508
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Is this booklet purchasable separately through you? (I have HoJ, but having it as a stand-alone would be nice - I ask as if you are offering it, I haven't noticed).
I just got the email:

"Fantastic Dungeon Grappling will be available separately as a $9 for Print+PDF, and $4 in PDF-only, during the Backerkit phase of The Citadel at Nordvorn!"

Excellent!
Old 03-17-2019, 12:11 PM   #1509
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Yah. Definitely stand-alone as well. If we hit the $45K goal, there will be one in every box . . . but that's that. If you want it by itself, you'll want to nab it through me either on the Kickstarter (now), or on my website (later).

Doug
Old 03-17-2019, 01:45 PM   #1510
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Yah. Definitely stand-alone as well. If we hit the $45K goal, there will be one in every box . . . but that's that. If you want it by itself, you'll want to nab it through me either on the Kickstarter (now), or on my website (later).
I'll be hittin that Kickstarter! (mostly as I'm not likely to have gotten $90+ together by the end of Monsters 2)

Tags
blog, blogs, committed aim, dungeon grappling, modern firepower, pass limb