Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-06-2018, 11:12 AM   #1
Grayscale

Default Symbol Magic Worked Examples (help needed)

Hi everyone,

I've been musing about using Symbol Magic from Thaumatology for a future game. To that end I read up on it on Thaumatology. I'm going to write down some worked examples of how I think the system works, so in case I've done something wrong please point out. Hopefully it may help someone else starting with the system.

Note: if at all possible, I'd like to avoid looking at a spell in Magic and using it's energy cost for a similar symbol magic working, mainly because I'm not familiar with the standard spells.

Parameters

- Lexicon: The lexicon used is the Futhark runes, as they appear on THM170.

- Energy costs: Each spell uses only 1 energy to cast, being dependent on MoS to work bigger effects (variation on THM175).

- The Rune Mage for these examples knows the entire lexicon. He has Symbol Drawing at 18.

For ease of reference, I've compiled a table with casting methods and associated rolls: https://imgur.com/JBC12lz

Examples
  1. Finger tracing: our Rune Mage want access to a door blocked by a large stone. He decides upon using Move-15 and Earth-14 to displace the rock, but has no corresponding symbol tokens. He begins tracing the symbols in the air...

He takes 12 seconds to draw Move (Hard symbol) and rolls against 12 (-3 for finger tracing). He then draws Earth in 6 seconds (Average symbol) and rolls against 11. Succeeding in both, he now goes to activate the symbols rolling against the lower of symbol drawing or symbol skill used - in this case, Body-14. He concentrates for 2 seconds, one second per symbol used.

What MoS he needs to move that rock? Well, Move has 0 base energy cost, and Body has 2. The rock weighs under 1000 lbs., so that's another 4 points (THM243). From above, his activation roll is Earth-14, so he must roll 8 or less to succeed. Pretty harsh!

2. Enchanted symbol tokens: traveling down a road, our Rune Mage is jumped by some road bandits. Not fearing their demands, he reaches for his token bag, randomly pulling from it's contents:

I takes him one second to produce the token for Fire-15. One second more to produce Create-16. No rolls were necessary so far, for the tokes already have the symbols inscribed into them. He decides to use them to create fire under one of the bandits 3 yards from him. He concentrates for 2 seconds, and then rolls against Fire-15.

What is the MoS required? Fire has a base energy cost of 4, and Create has a base energy of 2. Continuing, again we look at THM242. He wants 1d of damage, so thats 2 more, type of damage is Burning, so this number is multiplied by 1 (total: 2). I assume range is a factor as well, so at 3 yards, using the SSRT that would be an extra 1. Total MoS required: 9. He rolls Fire-15, needing to roll 4 or 3 to succeed.

Wow!

I had intended to write more examples, but I'm sure I'm calculating energy costs/MoS required wrong. Should I just ignore the symbols Base Energy Cost if I intend to use the modifiers on THM242?

EDIT: I suppose that the MoS comes from the activation roll? One possibility could be allowing both drawing rolls and activation rolls to add up to a "pool" and add up to the required MoS.

Last edited by Grayscale; 05-09-2018 at 02:42 PM.
Grayscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 01:38 PM   #2
Prince Charon

Default Re: Symbol Magic Worked Examples (help needed)

I'm pretty sure moving a rock would be Move Earth. Move Body could make the mage and/or a companion faster, or able to fly, but if he's trying to physically lift the stone, that would be Strengthen Body.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 05:55 PM   #3
Grayscale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
I'm pretty sure moving a rock would be Move Earth. Move Body could make the mage and/or a companion faster, or able to fly, but if he's trying to physically lift the stone, that would be Strengthen Body.
You're totally right, it should be Move Earth. I'll fix it when I get home.

EDIT: Upon closer reading, I'm now inclined to believe that if using the variation = each spell 1 energy cost, we simply ignore the Base energy cost from the runes and adjust the required MoS using the following:

- For Area and SM, use the standard spell rules as defined inB239.
- For duration, multiple targets and range, use the tables at the end of Thaumatology.
- For damage, I'm not sure if one should multiply the cost if more than 1d (eg. 3x for 3d) or use the table at the end of Thaumatology.
- For different types of damage, multipy accordling to THM243.

Is that correct?

Last edited by Grayscale; 05-09-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:29 AM   #4
Grayscale

Sorry to bump, but would really if someone knew how to clarify this!

Tags
magic, rune magic, symbol magic