Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-10-2020, 08:03 AM   #1
DataPacRat

Default Converting FP and DF from Space 2e?

I've got a statblock for a spaceship from an early edition of GURPS Space, and I'd like to compare it with some spaceships from other settings. Can anyone provide some rough rules-of-thumb to convert the old system's Firepower and Defensive Factor numbers into, well, anything else?

In case it matters, the ship is a slightly tweaked version of the speedster from GURPS Lensman, with the cosmic ray absorption screen shrunk to cover the ship's energy needs of 120 lbs/hr (that is, 1.3 petawatts, almost all of which is for the energy screens), with a one-tenth-normal sized Needler beam stuffed in, and a Meteor Shield explicitly statted in. Said needler has an FP of 20, the meteor shield has a DF of 1 vs matter, and the standard layered energy screens have DFs of 3, 5, 10, and 20.

For example, if I tried using GURPS 3e Vehicles' system to build a single force screen that's no heavier or larger than the combined generators for the layered energy screens, and making it large enough to enclose the 72-yard-long vessel, I get stats of around TL12 Force Screen Generator, FSR 72, Fast Recovery, Energy Screen, Compact: 18,662.4 lbs (9.3312 tons), 933.12 cf (34.56 cy), $37,324,800, 186.624 MW, DR 9600. I have no idea if that's even in the right ballpark, given how the Lensman setting is the source of the term "Lensman Arms Race".
"Then again, maybe I'm wrong."
DataPacRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 10:24 AM   #2
DataPacRat

Default Re: Converting FP and DF from Space 2e?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataPacRat View Post
I've got a statblock for a spaceship from an early edition of GURPS Space, and I'd like to compare it with some spaceships from other settings. Can anyone provide some rough rules-of-thumb to convert the old system's Firepower and Defensive Factor numbers into, well, anything else?

In case it matters, the ship is a slightly tweaked version of the speedster from GURPS Lensman, with the cosmic ray absorption screen shrunk to cover the ship's energy needs of 120 lbs/hr (that is, 1.3 petawatts, almost all of which is for the energy screens), with a one-tenth-normal sized Needler beam stuffed in, and a Meteor Shield explicitly statted in. Said needler has an FP of 20, the meteor shield has a DF of 1 vs matter, and the standard layered energy screens have DFs of 3, 5, 10, and 20.

Aha; I used Google to search these forums instead of the built-in search, which let me look for "fp" and the like. I found a reference to Compendium II, which had the exact numbers I wanted.

As it happens, force screens of DFs 1, 3, 5, 10, and 20 equate to Vehicles DRs of around 100, 500, 2,000, 30,000, and 30,000,000. And FP of 20 could be a beam weapon doing 200d(10) (or 20d(100)) per turn.

... I'll admit, I'm not sure what in GURPS, outside of Lensman-grade weapons, could punch through a DR of 30 million. Time to start skimming Ultra-Tech, I suppose. :)
"Then again, maybe I'm wrong."
DataPacRat is offline   Reply With Quote