Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-20-2011, 01:55 PM   #11
cmdicely

Default Re: Japanese Tea Ceremonies (and other artistic peculiarities)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
Carousing's weird. On the one hand, it certainly seems to be exactly as you describe (why else would it use HT?)
Why does Sex Appeal use HT?
cmdicely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:59 PM   #12
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdicely View Post
Why does Sex Appeal use HT?
I always assumed it was to reflect the fact that healthier people are generally more attractive. Otherwise, I don't really know. In my Automata game, I gave a robot IQ-based Sex Appeal, since I couldn't imagine what a machine's resilience would have to do with it's ability to seduce people.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:36 PM   #13
Danukian

Quote:
I always assumed it was to reflect the fact that healthier people are generally more attractive. Otherwise, I don't really know. In my Automata game, I gave a robot IQ-based Sex Appeal, since I couldn't imagine what a machine's resilience would have to do with it's ability to seduce people.
Battery Life.... ;p

I would stick with Meditation (Tea Ceremony) or an art variant. Serving Tea and Tea Ceremony are even farther removed than Computer Operation and Computer Programming - anyone can serve tea, but the Ceremony is a complex ritual that shows breeding/refinement and gains great prestige.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:02 PM   #14
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Coastie
A couple of the PCs in one of my campaigns already had the Tea Ceremony skill when we made the change from 3e to 4e. I just followed the GURPS Update PDF and changed it to Meditation (Tea Ceremony).
Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23
I would definitely say it's a hobby skill which defaults to Savoir Faire (High Society) -0 in a historical Japanese game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh
The amount of dedication the activity requires (and the seriousness with which it is treated) seems to be worth at least an Average skill. Could be an ancient specialization of Savoir-Faire, though.
Despite the conversion offered by Update, using a placeholder skill feels better to me. Hobby does not seem like it captures the intricacies of the various matters that the tea master must pay attention to... I think molokh is probably closer, so I would call it the equivalent of a Professional skill. OTOH, if you like the idea from Update, you could just assume it is like an Expert skill for pricing.

For those interested in the subject, I recommend reading The Book of Tea, by Okakura Kakuzo. Finding an old bound version can be a joy, but you can also read it online in a couple of places, like Project Gutenberg.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:06 PM   #15
Fwibos

Quote:
Well hey, lookit that. Why didn't I think to use the GURPS Update file?

Thanks!

Carousing's weird. On the one hand, it certainly seems to be exactly as you describe (why else would it use HT?) but on the other hand, it seems to show up in an awful lot of templates as a "socializing" skill, ie the sort of skill one would use to gossip at snooty parties as well as party hard at a frat.
I could see it being Carousing and the Perk: Carousing based on IQ for gossips.

Of course, I have noticed that there really isn't a "just get a long" skill. Sort of a diplomacy lite. I'd say maybe an easy skill, defaults to IQ, gives a good reaction and never worse than a neutral reaction on General reactions, requests for information. Roll at -3 for requests for aid? I'm just spitballing here. Or maybe it can be used if a reaction roll goes poorly to make it neutral with no penalty?
Word of God and Word of Kromm are pretty much the same thing in my book
Fwibos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:12 PM   #16
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwibos View Post
I could see it being Carousing and the Perk: Carousing based on IQ for gossips.

Of course, I have noticed that there really isn't a "just get a long" skill. Sort of a diplomacy lite. I'd say maybe an easy skill, defaults to IQ, gives a good reaction and never worse than a neutral reaction on General reactions, requests for information. Roll at -3 for requests for aid? I'm just spitballing here. Or maybe it can be used if a reaction roll goes poorly to make it neutral with no penalty?
you're describing Diplomacy, the skill is not just for the pros
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:18 PM   #17
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danukian View Post
Battery Life.... ;p

I would stick with Meditation (Tea Ceremony) or an art variant. Serving Tea and Tea Ceremony are even farther removed than Computer Operation and Computer Programming - anyone can serve tea, but the Ceremony is a complex ritual that shows breeding/refinement and gains great prestige.
Sex Appeal doesn't really have anything to do with endurance, though. It's not the actual act of sex, just teasing someone with the idea of it, flirting with them to get them to do what you want. Erotic Art is the actual deed, and it's DX-based.

But yeah, I like the Meditation (Tea Ceremony) idea, as it fits very well with the themes I'm looking for, though I can see the arguments for making it a professional skill (my original solution until I became sufficiently frustrated that I came before the Hive Mind to ask for its wisdom).
Old 03-20-2011, 04:23 PM   #18
Fwibos

Quote:
Fallout: New Vegas: Wang Dang Atomic Tango. *shudders*
Sorry, probably derailing the thread.

What effects do you want Tea Ceremony to have? Do you want it to look pretty, which would be Performance (probably based on DX, since it's hand-eye coordination), or do you want it to give you new insights (like it does in L5R) which is more like Meditation? If it does both, I'd make it a very hard skill, which si not inappropriate genre-wise, even if it is a point sink.

I am procastinating on my daily cardio: So here goes a shot at a slightly cinematic version:

Tea Ceremony Will/Hard

Performing a tea cermony has the following effects. Successful use of the skill takes (30-Skill minutes) minutes and provides a +2 reaction with those who view it. It also provides +2 to a skill roll to the participants. The number of participants is equal to (Skill-10) individuals. The skill bonus must be used within within an hour of the ceremony.

Modifiers: Cultural Familiarity; High Manual Dexterity, Klutz, etc, basically Any modifier for Dexterity.

I tried to make this as culturally neutral as possible. Two Brits on an East Indiaman can Benefit from this skill as much as 2 Samurai. The basic premise is the same. they receive a flash of insight through meditative mind or conversation, that aids them.

*shrugs& I don't know what the original did, however.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:25 PM   #19
Fwibos

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
you're describing Diplomacy, the skill is not just for the pros
But it's a hard skill. To be a professional at it you need to invest a boatload of time. That seems silly to me. But it is what it is.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:29 PM   #20
Danukian

Quote:
Sex Appeal doesn't really have anything to do with endurance, though. It's not the actual act of sex, just teasing someone with the idea of it, flirting with them to get them to do what you want. Erotic Art is the actual deed, and it's DX-based.

I know what Sex Appeal is for, I was just joking about your question as to what Physical Endurance of a robot had to do with Sex Appeal - "Hey, baby - I'm powered by E cells..."

Quote:
But yeah, I like the Meditation (Tea Ceremony) idea, as it fits very well with the themes I'm looking for, though I can see the arguments for making it a professional skill (my original solution until I became sufficiently frustrated that I came before the Hive Mind to ask for its wisdom).
Honestly, if I didn't already know about Meditation, I would have probably went with Professional Skill, possibly lumped into the Artist category for Talents sake.

Tags
art, gurps 4e, japanese, meditation, skills