Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Warehouse 23 Digital

Old 10-16-2009, 08:18 AM   #31
Bruno

Default Re: Art for the DF series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
It might be surprising to you, but based on 15 years of discussions with colleagues in my business, I can say that this is how most of the games industry works.
That's the way art works in most industries, from my experience. Commercial artists (and if you're creating art to be sold, congrats, you're a commercial artist) aren't "discovered". There's a reason why the 'pure' artist stereotype is a "starving artist" or "artist who works as a waiter/slings coffee/stocks shelves/etc".

Money, as a rule, doesn't hunt you down and throw itself at you. You HAVE to go out there, find it, chase it down, trip it up, and beat it to death with a rock before you can eat it. And I think I've driven that particular metaphor into the ground, but you get my point.

There are rare exceptions, but for every person who becomes a big Hollywood star after being discovered on a street corner, there's a couple of thousand would-bes trying to make do with day-jobs.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:15 PM   #32
trooper6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
That's the way art works in most industries, from my experience. Commercial artists (and if you're creating art to be sold, congrats, you're a commercial artist) aren't "discovered". There's a reason why the 'pure' artist stereotype is a "starving artist" or "artist who works as a waiter/slings coffee/stocks shelves/etc".

Money, as a rule, doesn't hunt you down and throw itself at you. You HAVE to go out there, find it, chase it down, trip it up, and beat it to death with a rock before you can eat it. And I think I've driven that particular metaphor into the ground, but you get my point.

There are rare exceptions, but for every person who becomes a big Hollywood star after being discovered on a street corner, there's a couple of thousand would-bes trying to make do with day-jobs.
And even the Hollywood starlet who got discovered at the lunch counter didn't really get discovered randomly at a lunch counter. She moved across the country to LA in order to get discovered, found out where the studio bosses and directors regularly had lunch, got all dolled up and strategically placed herself at that lunch counter over and over until she finally caught someone's eye. Meanwhile, she was probably also taking acting classes and trying to get an agent.

Generally, unless you are already famous, people don't headhunt a person, artist or otherwise. People who want jobs have to apply for them.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 05:14 AM   #33
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
Nooooooo!

Seriously, Iike Kovalik art in Munchkin and Chez Geek. It fits the mood. I wish to have some more serious art for DF (...) The current art is fine. Interesting, evocative and not distracting.
Seconded....

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
art