Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-03-2023, 06:50 PM   #1
dlight

Default Difference between Affects Substantial, Selective & Affects Insubstantial, selective

So, the question is in the title.. those enhancements are both from Power Ups 4: Enhancements (page 12) and really, they both let you affect just insubstantial targets, just substantial targets, or both.. but one costs +30% and the other costs +50%! What gives?
dlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 06:56 PM   #2
Anthony

Default Re: Difference between Affects Substantial, Selective & Affects Insubstantial, select

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlight View Post
So, the question is in the title.. those enhancements are both from Power Ups 4: Enhancements (page 12) and really, they both let you affect just insubstantial targets, just substantial targets, or both.. but one costs +30% and the other costs +50%! What gives?
One of them is usable while you are insubstantial.
Old 06-03-2023, 07:21 PM   #3
dlight

Default Re: Difference between Affects Substantial, Selective & Affects Insubstantial, select

Oh, okay. They are based on Affects Substantial and Affects Insubstantial from B102.

But if I want the effects of both (an abilities that targets substantial, insubstantial, or both, regardless whether I'm substantial or not), I must buy both for +80% or just the +50% ability is good enough?

Also: Affects Substantial on B102 says "Do not add this enhancement to magical or psi abilities; these can already affect the substantial world at -3.", but what if I have a power like Telekinesis that isn't either magical nor psi?
dlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 01:26 PM   #4
Tinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlight View Post
Oh, okay. They are based on Affects Substantial and Affects Insubstantial from B102.

But if I want the effects of both (an abilities that targets substantial, insubstantial, or both, regardless whether I'm substantial or not), I must buy both for +80% or just the +50% ability is good enough?
Just having one should be enough. Just pick your default & add affects the "other".
If default= substantial: already affects substantial + affects insub.
If default= insubstantial: already affects insubstantial + affects sub.
therefore only need one.

Quote:
Also: Affects Substantial on B102 says "Do not add this enhancement to magical or psi abilities; these can already affect the substantial world at -3.",
but what if I have a power like Telekinesis that isn't either magical nor psi?
As there are no worlds I've hear of with Telekinesis not being a power of either psi or magic, it shouldn't be a problem.
for example if the TK is magnetism (like Magneto's in X-men) it won't be able to affect something insubstantial anyway.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote